DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Speed Problem / Restriction ?

Jase

Reactions
I have an issue with the Mavic at the moment where it it flying very slow. It's a long story but briefly:

Last week I went to a location with the Mavic, when I tried to fly the app reported that I was in a restricted airspace and asked me to confirm I take responsibility etc. It was not a restricted area as I had checked before going and 2 other drones there did not get the warning (a phantom 4 Pro+ and another Mavic).

Moved to another location, same thing but this time I did a quick flight, when doing so I noticed that the speed was very slow so landed. On on the way home we stopped at a regular area and same issue: restricted airspace, knowing it was wrong and it was an open area I did a proper test flight and found the drone was indeed very slow at 3.8 m/s in no wind.

I went out yesterday to try it again after double checking everything, reinstalling app etc etc and discovered again that the drone was very slow and was flying at a constant 3.8 m/s.

I turned off obstacle avoidance and then the drone returned to flying at the normal speed. Turning OA back on the drone was flying at 3.8 m/s again. I tried 2 phones just in case but same thing. I did notice that when flying with OA off I would get loud beeps from the controller but that may be normal, not sure. I checked the sensors and there was nothing obvious, not dirty or obstructed.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Has Beginner Mode been turned off?

Yes that's off. I've had the drone for about a year and no prob until now. I checked that beginner mode was off, I reset app, I reinstalled app, I tried 2 phones, I made sure I was logged into the app properly. There was no wind at all tried at various heights.

It was still slow until I turned off obstacle avoidance. I don't understand if there is a problem with OA why the speed would be a constant 3.8 m/s.

Yes that's off. I've had the drone for about a year and no prob until now. I checked that beginner mode was off, I reset app, I reinstalled app, I tried 2 phones, I made sure I was logged into the app properly. There was no wind at all tried at various heights.

It was still slow until I turned off obstacle avoidance. I don't understand if there is a problem with OA why the speed would be a constant 3.8 m/s.
I really don't know, but I would try a visual sensor calibration and see what happens.

I really don't know, but I would try a visual sensor calibration and see what happens.

OK I haven't tried that, still I'm wondering why it's a constant 3.8 m/s. It just seems strange why OA would choose that speed to fly, I would have expected OA to cause issues like sudden stopping etc not i'm going to hit something but hit it slowly lol

I did another test the other day and it was working OK.

My conclusion is this, it was the restricted airspace that was the main reason for the slow speed. On each occasion the app reported that I was in restricted airspace the drone would fly slow ie restricted to 3.8 m/s

Problem was it was wrong and I was not in restricted airspace.

So for whatever reason it looks like DJI restrict the speed on the drone when it 'thinks' it's in restricted airspace, why that changed when OA was turned off I don't know. Also why DJI could not confirm that was the case when I asked them.

What caused the initial problem that made it think it was in restricted airspace I don't know but that seems to have cleared.

More than likely, the "updates"?. Dji has been hobbling the AC with updates, with flight patterns/modes tossed out as bait. That is when the restrictions and quizes started to pop up. I still on .400 for the AC and 4.0.3 for the DJI Go4 app from over a year ago, never updated anything.

Edit: As to why they would not admit to the issue with turning off the OA, well, then, that would mean they admit to buggy firmware........

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54