DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sport mode altitude degradation

Mapleman231

Reactions
Not sure if the title i chose is fitting my situation.Ive had my pro platinum less than a month and no issues at all. Was flying on an old airport runway so the ground is level and in sport mode maybe 2 feet off the Deck and pushing her forward only to see how fast it will go with no real wind to worry about. Had it right at 40mph and had gone back and forth short runs but always around 2 foot up.as im watching my speed not noticing as i pushed forward it lowered its altitude and caught its left leg and well, it did a nascar roll! Destroyed the gimbal and sensor and scratched it up real bad. So pilots? Dont take your eyes off it!! Especially since it cant stay level!

Not sure if the title i chose is fitting my situation.Ive had my pro platinum less than a month and no issues at all. Was flying on an old airport runway so the ground is level and in sport mode maybe 2 feet off the Deck and pushing her forward only to see how fast it will go with no real wind to worry about. Had it right at 40mph and had gone back and forth short runs but always around 2 foot up.as im watching my speed not noticing as i pushed forward it lowered its altitude and caught its left leg and well, it did a nascar roll! Destroyed the gimbal and sensor and scratched it up real bad. So pilots? Dont take your eyes off it!! Especially since it cant stay level!
That close to the ground and fast? Maybe suffered the result of the Ground Effect? Probably a good idea to post your flight log and someone will give them a look over

Agree with posting the flight log.

There is a tendency in sport mode for the MPP, MZ, and M2P to lose a little altitude when running at near full throttle at any altitude to lose a small amount altitude, especially from a rapid start, due to tilt of the drone. Likely this will prove to be the cause.

Reactions: Mapleman231
Zoom Zoom.....

lol it's good but it an't that good!!! Give it at least 10 foot give or take a foot or twenty...

Well i had purchased the refresh insurance and went on and used one of my replacements. I chalked it up to stupidity and the flight log im sure would reflevt the same answer. Shoulda,coulda and would have but i didnt and now you know the rest of the story...haha

lol it's good but it an't that good!!! Give it at least 10 foot give or take a foot or twenty...
Yes i know thats where i should have but didnt. The bird did fly as fast as touted! 40 mph!! I learned one thing and that is to be less daring.perhaps a different bird just for speed flying. Dodging trees or whstever. Fpv goggles and a fast maneuverable drone. Be funbut no clue what id need

There is a tendency in sport mode for the MPP, MZ, and M2P to lose a little altitude when running at near full throttle at any altitude to lose a small amount altitude, especially from a rapid start, due to tilt of the drone. Likely this will prove to be the cause.
Exactly ... anyone can test for themselves (at a safe altitude) and see what happens when you push hard in Sport Mode.
No need to look at logs at all as this is the way things work.

Flying close to obstacles is risky ... and the biggest obstacle is always down below the drone.
Flying fast and close is many times more risky.

Last edited:
Probably caused by cumulative errors in height detection with the drone gradually losing height each run. The drone does hold height fairly well when hovering but even then can wander up and down. Add in tilt, changes in speed and direction and I would leave viewing flight to watching the video later and concentrate on the drone at speed that close to the ground.

Definately a learning experience. I realize how awesome the pro p. Truly is but its not autonomous and i learned a lesson at my own expense. Yes it was definitely pilot error. Could have been worse....like doing that over water. Fortunately im a bit smarter than that haha...just a skoche!

Yes pilot arrogance and error. That famous last words you hear "heyall watch dis".....as mine were "oh @#$%"...yes i learned a lesson in geometry and raw physics that day.it maintained the atitude but with the angle of flight it saw the deck farther than if it was level so it lowered itself to maintain that altitude it started with and after two runs.....splat! So happily today i can report new drone is enroute. So lessons learned and research was done and now im that much more educated. Thanks to all those that commented. This rookie appreciates the input! Safe journey to all! USA IOWA

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78