DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low batt "sport" mode vs "normal" mode?

88lance

Reactions
Just some thoughts from a flight earlier.
(First of all let me point out that I never push it with battery level and distance, I'm just talking about a what-if scenario).

Had the drone way out over some fields, and decided I should head back before battery started getting low. Since I was above flat land and no obstructions, I switched to sport mode and covered some ground on the way back.

This brought a question to mind. If you WERE actually in danger of running out of battery some distance out, are you more likely to make it back with speed, or with normal mode?

I would think speed (I mean, 35-40mph vs 15-20), but I guess that would depend on how much more battery that extra speed uses.

If the motors are actually spinning at double the speed, then it may double the consumption (or more than double). But if its actually not much different RPM and it's more of the angle the drone tilts at to achieve that speed, meaning not much different battery consumption, just a lot more ground covered.

Has anyone experimented with distance/speed/battery usage?

I would be leaning more towards speed making it farther just because sport mode literally doubles the drones traveling speed.

Just some thoughts from a flight earlier.
(First of all let me point out that I never push it with battery level and distance, I'm just talking about a what-if scenario).

Had the drone way out over some fields, and decided I should head back before battery started getting low. Since I was above flat land and no obstructions, I switched to sport mode and covered some ground on the way back.

This brought a question to mind. If you WERE actually in danger of running out of battery some distance out, are you more likely to make it back with speed, or with normal mode?

I would think speed (I mean, 35-40mph vs 15-20), but I guess that would depend on how much more battery that extra speed uses.

If the motors are actually spinning at double the speed, then it may double the consumption (or more than double). But if its actually not much different RPM and it's more of the angle the drone tilts at to achieve that speed, meaning not much different battery consumption, just a lot more ground covered.

I would be leaning more towards speed making it farther just because sport mode literally doubles the drones traveling speed.
After posting this I found another thread which had posted the same thing a few months ago. Not sure why that didn't show up when I searched before. 🤦.

Not sure what the article said, but for me its always Sport mode as I want as much speed as I can get so when it start to force land I can keep the sticks up and keep it coming to me as far as i can push it or for a Remote Spot.

If you going to fly and push it , and we always do , you want to have chosen a Remote Spot to land something not to many Pilots plan for as they always play it safe until they dont. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Yes, this has been done many times
It also uses more battery power per mile, so you get less distance.
If you need to get the most distance from your battery, use full speed in Normal Mode.

Reactions: platty and Aairon
When the drone is hovering, 100% of the thrust is holding the drone up.
As it tilts further to fly faster, less thrust is directed downwards and the motors have to spin faster to maintain the vertical component of thrust and so maintain altitude.

Yes, this has been done many times

It also uses more battery power per mile, so you get less distance.
If you need to get the most distance from your battery, use full speed in Normal Mode.
Exactly! Long distance flyers established a long time ago that the greatest distance was covered by flying at full speed in Normal mode. So, stay out of the slower speed of RTH and the faster speed of Sport mode, and fly back at full speed in Normal mode, to maximize your chances of making it back.

Not sure what the article said, but for me its always Sport mode as I want as much speed as I can get so when it start to force land I can keep the sticks up and keep it coming to me as far as i can push it or for a Remote Spot.

If you going to fly and push it , and we always do , you want to have chosen a Remote Spot to land something not to many Pilots plan for as they always play it safe until they dont. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I do the same as you describe in your post. As I fly, I look for places where my drone can land safely, if it's forced to land. If I know I won't have enough power to make it home, I fly in sport mode to the nearest clear landing area (identified earlier in my flight). Then, I let the drone land there. After that, it's either a short walk or drive to that location to pick up the drone.

Exactly! Long distance flyers established a long time ago that the greatest distance was covered by flying at full speed in Normal mode. So, stay out of the slower speed of RTH and the faster speed of Sport mode, and fly back at full speed in Normal mode, to maximize your chances of making it back.
If I’ve gotten pretty far away and battery is an issue, are use RTH to get me oriented and heading in the right direction. Then I’ll cancel it and just use full speed in normal mode to get me back.

If I’ve gotten pretty far away and battery is an issue, are use RTH to get me oriented and heading in the right direction. Then I’ll cancel it and just use full speed in normal mode to get me back.
That can work, too. Just make sure your RTH height isn't set well above the height you are turning around from, or it will really drain the battery needlessly during the initial RTH ascension!

Reactions: jephoto

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys