DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

sport mode no go

Montana John

Reactions
I have had my Pro Platinum since November, and finally I decided to try sport mode (I had read all the disaster stories). The switch on the controller would not change the mode to sport, but a note came up on my iPad screen that I had to change a setting in General Settings. I went there and found a slider switch which is marked Sport Mode. However, it will not move to the on position.
Any ideas? Help appreciated.

Reactions: Bill combs
From: DJI Mavic Pro: The Missing Handbook: Comprehensive List of Menu Options

Multiple Flight Modes
In order to use any of the "Intelligent Flight Modes," this has to be enabled. Without it, you can't use any of the extra modes. Sport Mode is considered one of these, as described below. Without this enabled, Sport Mode does not work either - you simply get a warning about being unable to change flight modes.

Here's where that setting is located in DJI GO:

Reactions: Mossiback
From: DJI Mavic Pro: The Missing Handbook: Comprehensive List of Menu Options

Multiple Flight Modes
In order to use any of the "Intelligent Flight Modes," this has to be enabled. Without it, you can't use any of the extra modes. Sport Mode is considered one of these, as described below. Without this enabled, Sport Mode does not work either - you simply get a warning about being unable to change flight modes.

I do way points, point of interest, follow me, etc., So I think that only sport mode won't go on. That's the button that will not slid
Are you in beginner mode? Turn it off if you are
Beginner Mode is off.
e right.

Final report.
I did slide the multiple flight mode button to the on position.
I then pushed up the physical button on the side of the controller to S.
I then waited until a thunder shower moved through (naturally it came right as we were ready to go).
We finally got outside, put it in S again and blew the roof off! 0 to 35 in about 2 seconds, I think. This could be fun. I am doing double checks to be sure the Marco Polo is working before using S mode!
How I was able to use all those intelligent modes without the Multiple Flight Mode switch on, who knows.
Thank all of you for the rapid response and right directions.

Final report.
I did slide the multiple flight mode button to the on position.
I then pushed up the physical button on the side of the controller to S.
I then waited until a thunder shower moved through (naturally it came right as we were ready to go).
We finally got outside, put it in S again and blew the roof off! 0 to 35 in about 2 seconds, I think. This could be fun. I am doing double checks to be sure the Marco Polo is working before using S mode!
How I was able to use all those intelligent modes without the Multiple Flight Mode switch on, who knows.
Thank all of you for the rapid response and right directions.

Intelligent flight modes only work in P mode so you were already stuck in the right mode to use them. When you have the switch on the remote turned to S you’ll see that the button for intelligent flight modes goes away

Intelligent flight modes only work in P mode so you were already stuck in the right mode to use them. When you have the switch on the remote turned to S you’ll see that the button for intelligent flight modes goes away
It's the Multiple Flight Modes button that was in the off position. So the mystery is how I was able to use tripod, way points, point of interest, etc. but not switch into sport mode.

I have had my Pro Platinum since November, and finally I decided to try sport mode (I had read all the disaster stories). The switch on the controller would not change the mode to sport, but a note came up on my iPad screen that I had to change a setting in General Settings. I went there and found a slider switch which is marked Sport Mode. However, it will not move to the on position.
Any ideas? Help appreciated.
you must go into your settings and turn on multiple flight

It's the Multiple Flight Modes button that was in the off position. So the mystery is how I was able to use tripod, way points, point of interest, etc. but not switch into sport mode.

Right I understood the question and the answer is still the same. If it makes it easier P mode use to be called “function” mode on the older DJI drones. It was the mode you had to be in to use the “intelligent functions.” The multiple modes switch that you turned on to allow sport mode is just for “modes” that are are controlled with the physical switch on the remote not “intelligent functions.”

Right I understood the question and the answer is still the same. If it makes it easier P mode use to be called “function” mode on the older DJI drones. It was the mode you had to be in to use the “intelligent functions.” The multiple modes switch that you turned on to allow sport mode is just for “modes” that are are controlled with the physical switch on the remote not “intelligent functions.”
Wow. That would explain it. This must be a recent change, judging from the responses to my Original Post. But what other modes, besides Sport Mode, are controlled by a physical switch on the remote?
(I do hope that this doesn't get more comlex!)

Wow. That would explain it. This must be a recent change, judging from the responses to my Original Post. But what other modes, besides Sport Mode, are controlled by a physical switch on the remote?
(I do hope that this doesn't get more comlex!)

The Mavic Pro only has two positions with the physical switch on the remote, P(positioning/function) mode and S(sport) mode.

The Mavic 2 introduced a third mode which is tripod mode as a physical mode on the controller instead of being an intelligent function like on the Mavic Pro but you won’t have to worry about that ;)

...We finally got outside, put it in S again and blew the roof off! 0 to 35 in about 2 seconds, I think. This could be fun. I am doing double checks to be sure the Marco Polo is working before using S mode!...
Yea! I am glad you got it to work. Keep in mind that the braking distance and turning radius is longer at faster speeds so get familiar with the cancel pause button on the RC. It acts like an emergency brake and may save you from sliding into something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Yea! I am glad you got it to work. Keep in mind that the braking distance and turning radius is longer at faster speeds so get familiar with the cancel button on the RC. It acts like an emergency brake and may save you from sliding into something.
I think he means pause button ⏸. Red circle ?.

I see it, under the left side of the screen, near the left stick. You press it and the drone comes to a screeching halt, promising to behave? I'll do some research and find out what frustration, er, learning opportunity, that button will provide. This is getting to be as demanding as raising teenagers!

Absolutely correct. I keep making that mistake.
I see it, under the left side of the screen, near the left stick. You press it and the drone comes to a screeching halt, promising to behave? I'll do some research and find out what frustration, er, learning opportunity, that button will provide. This is getting to be as demanding as raising teenagers!
I use the pause button on the RC. Pressing it will make your Mavic stop quickly and cancel stick inputs for a couple seconds. I don't know why DJI designed the RC with this button not raised so you can find it quicker. I stuck a button on mine so my thumb can find it without looking.

If your flying full speed in sport and you push the pause button the drone will just about stand on end . I was surprised how much of a angle the drone goes into when it is applying the emergency brake . At full speed it looks to be close to 70 degrees

If your flying full speed in sport and you push the pause button the drone will just about stand on end . I was surprised how much of a angle the drone goes into when it is applying the emergency brake . At full speed it looks to be close to 70 degrees
That's good to know, that the drone can be at such a radical angle and still recover. I gotta go out now and risk my $1,000 toy in the name of not risking it!
Thanks again to everyone who has pitched in to keep me flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54