DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spray Paint Props???

Ken K

Reactions
Some forum members have posted pics of their Mavics with hi-visibility orange skins. They look great and increase visibility in the air and if lost
Question: Would there be any problem if the prop hubs were masked and the props spray painted with a matching hi-visibility color?

I know there are 3rd party colored props and skins for props available but I would hesitate to use them as I wouldn't be comfortable that they would be safe to use.

The problem with paint is that it will likely cause the props to become unbalanced.

They look great and increase visibility in the air and if lost
Maybe put an orange skin on your Mavic instead?

Reactions: Eugenious99
I personally wouldn't apply anything to the props. You want them to be as balanced as possible.

Reactions: bobj151 and Ken K
Is your intention to make your Mavic more visible for orientation purposes?

You can skin the whole drone, no problem. You can mask off the whole prop except the tips. You can spray the tips any color you want and it wont unbalance the props. Maybe spray 2 different 1/4" stripes on each blade in a bright color. It will give you a nice "rotor disc" circular shape that will be very easily visible, much more than the white.

Is your intention to make your Mavic more visible for orientation purposes?

You can skin the whole drone, no problem. You can mask off the whole prop except the tips. You can spray the tips any color you want and it wont unbalance the props. Maybe spray 2 different 1/4" stripes on each blade in a bright color. It will give you a nice "rotor disc" circular shape that will be very easily visible, much more than the white.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reflective tape helps find a lost aircraft. At night with a extra bright light or laser pointer will find it ....... 99.9%

Reactions: Ken K
"Reflective skins" !!!- that's the ticket !! I knew wasn't wasting my time on this forum.

Here’s my reflective skin solution- adhesive survey tape - got it from Lowes for about $4, and put some on every side, top and bottom:3FDBFD9B-DBEE-4F2E-BC9E-D53F9BD4FDFD.jpeg

Reactions: covpack
I like the reflective tape idea. Not as permanent as a skin.

Adhesive survey tape is more permanent than the skins, the glue is weather proof and is more like duct tape. #1 rule is to not let it get dry or it will not peel off easily. I used it anyways as I will be flying alot over trees and heavy brush mapping it and want to have a half a chance of locating my bird with a flashlight!

Some forum members have posted pics of their Mavics with hi-visibility orange skins. They look great and increase visibility in the air and if lost
Question: Would there be any problem if the prop hubs were masked and the props spray painted with a matching hi-visibility color?

I know there are 3rd party colored props and skins for props available but I would hesitate to use them as I wouldn't be comfortable that they would be safe to use.
Good question and lots of good answers. Thanks for posting. I have wondered about this, too.

At a certain distance, regardless of the color, your aircraft becomes a black silhouette.
I have flown everything up to a 16 foot wingspan glider and this holds true.
I have resorted to mounting white Strobon CREE LED strobes to the belly of my aircraft.
Makes them MUCH more visible and they are only about $25 each
Important to get the CREE type, not the standard ones.

Reactions: Neros and msinger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jarrodwp1