DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 St John's in the Vale. English Lake District.

Bransty

Reactions
Hi. Been droning on and off for almost 2 years now. I've been waiting for some good weather to come to England ever since purchasing the Mavic 3 on its release week. The weather finally arrived on 6th March, so drove 20 miles to one of England's beauty spots. Got all the footage i needed and still had 80% battery left when I brought her home to land.
Hope you like it!

Hi. Been droning on and off for almost 2 years now. I've been waiting for some good weather to come to England ever since purchasing the Mavic 3 on its release week. The weather finally arrived on 6th March, so drove 20 miles to one of England's beauty spots. Got all the footage i needed and still had 80% battery left when I brought her home to land.
Hope you like it!
Nicely done Bransty....very rugged terrain.
Love the music choice and your intro line.
Exposure is good too.
Warm cheers!
John in London Canada

Reactions: Bransty
Very nice!

Great locale to fly. It sorta dictates flying lower, closer to landforms and features. The most interesting features appear at 0:20 and 0:45-0:59, 1:55-2:00. I'd focus more on those features using spotlight/POI w/ pull in and away(boomerang) and elevation change, gimbal tilt reveals forward and back, etc. Initiate gimbal tilt down by slowing travel, increasing elevation to maintain axis with the point of rotation. This is very dramatic when passing over a feature. A tilt up reveal works well with gimbal starting about 45% , decreasing elevation to maintain about 1/3 horizon as it reveals (sort of a swoop down). Another dramatic shot that always looks good and cuts in well is the gimbal straight down with very slow travel (otherwise it's all a blur).

Long sequences of straight flight or POI can be speed ramped to get to the focal point quicker. Practice very subtle arc turns to follow landforms. Make sure you've greatly reduced yaw speed and gimbal speed in your settings otherwise any of these moves will appear too abrupt. Spotlight gives you the most freedom in combination moves as you don't have to yaw, which is the nemesis of smooth flying.

The high and wide shots are fine infrequently, but the additional footage from the moves I suggested will provide a more comprehensive shot list to edit from.

Last edited:
Great locale to fly. It sorta dictates flying lower, closer to landforms and features. The most interesting features appear at 0:20 and 0:45-0:59, 1:55-2:00. I'd focus more on those features using spotlight/POI w/ pull in and away(boomerang) and elevation change, gimbal tilt reveals forward and back, etc. Initiate gimbal tilt down by slowing travel, increasing elevation to maintain axis with the point of rotation. This is very dramatic when passing over a feature. A tilt up reveal works well with gimbal starting about 45% , decreasing elevation to maintain about 1/3 horizon as it reveals (sort of a swoop down). Another dramatic shot that always looks good and cuts in well is the gimbal straight down with very slow travel (otherwise it's all a blur).

Long sequences of straight flight or POI can be speed ramped to get to the focal point quicker. Practice very subtle arc turns to follow landforms. Make sure you've greatly reduced yaw speed and gimbal speed in your settings otherwise any of these moves will appear too abrupt. Spotlight gives you the most freedom in combination moves as you don't have to yaw, which is the nemesis of smooth flying.

The high and wide shots are fine infrequently, but the additional footage from the moves I suggested will provide a more comprehensive shot list to edit from.
Thank you for that. You've put a lot of time into that reply. It's well appreciated. I'll copy those notes and put them into my computer's drone folder.
I do like to try new things when filming, to get the continuous improvement factor. Not always easy when the girlfriends nagging me because I'm taking too long. :)
Thanks again Macfawlty!

Nicely done Bransty....very rugged terrain.
Love the music choice and your intro line.
Exposure is good too.
Warm cheers!
John in London Canada
Thank you Old John! From now on, I'm referring to you as St Old John's in the London! :)

Thank you for that. You've put a lot of time into that reply. It's well appreciated. I'll copy those notes and put them into my computer's drone folder.
I do like to try new things when filming, to get the continuous improvement factor. Not always easy when the girlfriends nagging me because I'm taking too long. :)
Thanks again Macfawlty!
First thing... send the girlfriend shopping. She's not gonna sit quietly through a few batteries of filming, unless perhaps it's sunny enough for sunbathing...unlikely.

Creative use of the gimbal, combined with stick input is the key to dramatic clips. You can get a lot out of linear flight and gimbal tilts. Most of the moves I describe become natural with practice. Combination manual input is always good to practice, but intelligent flight modes allow for some degree of input, enhancing creativity with less manual effort and smoother clips.

Develop a shot list based on the locale, features and landforms. For your best shots, do a few takes to get it perfect. Gimbal tilt takes a bit of timing, trial & error. Personally, I think Spotlight is the easiest way to use elevation, boomerang where anything can be used as a POI. Do a long sequence, cut and speed ramp in post. A variety of shot types (full coverage) gives you A LOT to work with in post. Do consider battery management of course, most important shots first.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21