DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Standing before the Golden Drone -- a bird averting skin

Good morning,
The material is like this one here :

I looked on my old laptop and my son did a system reboot wiping it clean but the material is very similar to that on ebay.

My answer to pesky birds.... threaten to arrest them if they get too close!!
I'm looking for mini flashing red & blue lights & siren to add to my M1P & M2P fleet :)
Obviously way too much time on my hands.......

IMG_20190908_104633.jpg

I guess I came at it from a different direction to others ...... The won't swoop an angry bird :)

I have noticed that the hawks up here in the top end of Australia will swoop in a lot closer to my P3P than the Mavic Pro

20190908_114212.jpg

I guess I came at it from a different direction to others ...... The won't swoop an angry bird :)

I have noticed that the hawks up here in the top end of Australia will swoop in a lot closer to my P3P than the Mavic Pro

View attachment 81278
Where’d you get your decals?

Reactions: MAGA and Skywalker
<*snip*>
My first anti-bird decorations were similar, but looked far goofier! ? I applied stick-on 'googly eyes' to the front dome and aft panel of my Mavic Air. I also added some curving, orange holographic color-strips (which came with my landing pad but were utterly useless in that application) to the aircraft's top cover; the curved strips let me create a sort of 'gothic window' pattern that was kinda cool. I wish I had a picture to show y'all!

I had at least one close-call with (I think) a hawk--seen only later in the video--in which the bird swerves away from a direct approach at the last second; maybe the googly-eyes made it think the drone was just a clown! ?

When I sent the drone into DJI for service this summer (long story), they returned me a new--yeah, probably refurb--drone; I took the opportunity to upgrade to the full holographic skin.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalSteve
Very interesting. I would like to have a skin that birds either don't notice or don't feel threatened
A cloak of invisibility, that's the ticket! Srsly tho, reality prevails : birds gonna bird. Many of them won't happily share the air with a drone. I feel it's my responsibility to do what I can to keep them away from that flying weedwacker, which could easily inflict mortal injury.

Trying to hide from them, or make them not feel threatened, is a fool's errand. They're well-adapted to survival, but their natural response to intrusion and threat is exceedingly dangerous with a drone.

All you can do is try to capitalize on other bird behavior--as I have with my "fire bird"--for their own safety.

Very interesting. I would like to have a skin that birds either don't notice or don't feel threatened
Some birds hunt birds (raptors). I don't think anyone is going to scare a raptor. I'm not even sure the scintillating gold vinyl looks like fire to them. It just looks awesome to us. I think if it looks like an edible, the bird is going to attack. If the drone doesn't look like food, which many of these succeed at, then the bird just focuses on finding food.

Attachments

• pixlr.jpeg
    pixlr.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Some birds hunt birds (raptors). I don't think anyone is going to scare a raptor. I'm not even sure the scintillating gold vinyl looks like fire to them. It just looks awesome to us. I think if it looks like an edible, the bird is going to attack. If the drone doesn't look like food, which many of these succeed at, then the bird just focuses on finding food.
I was filming a Ospray dive bombing fish yesterday very hard to frame a shot like hedging the horizon .seagulls pay no attention a tree swollow showed some curiosity the eagle took off. Yes if its hungry or has young near by then I am in trouble. Nice pictures

Birds fear and flee from fire. The dazzling golden holographic skin of my drone, Bertie, flashes hues of red and orange, as if on fire. It's intended to alarm an approaching bird, and make it break away to safety. The photo and video only suggest the extreme visual impact of Golden Bertie in flight!

Here's a short video of her in flight; again, the in-person effect is much stronger than the photo or video suggests!

Vineyards use similar holographic streamers to deter birds from plundering the crop. I hope and believe that Bertie's "fire skin" will intimidate birds and dissuade avian attacks, but I'll probably never know.

Yes, this is custom. I used Cricut permanent holographic vinyl, which I'd never seen, much less used. Um, yes, there was a learning curve, despite obtaining a Mavic Air skin template (which was not 100% accurate or suitable for this material, but one makes do ...). Many hours, four top-skins, and multiple revisions of lesser patches later, dear ol' Bertie looks like a superhero! And if all that work spares a bird or two from a painful, probably mortal encounter with Bertie, then ... well, I'll probably never know.

View attachment 80809

It’s very pretty, but lets test it in front of a wedge-tailed eagle nest. If that doesn’t go as planned, maybe you can use it to lure june bugs away thinking it’s a mate! ;)

Birds fear and flee from fire. The dazzling golden holographic skin of my drone, Bertie, flashes hues of red and orange, as if on fire. It's intended to alarm an approaching bird, and make it break away to safety. The photo and video only suggest the extreme visual impact of Golden Bertie in flight!

Here's a short video of her in flight; again, the in-person effect is much stronger than the photo or video suggests!

Vineyards use similar holographic streamers to deter birds from plundering the crop. I hope and believe that Bertie's "fire skin" will intimidate birds and dissuade avian attacks, but I'll probably never know.

Yes, this is custom. I used Cricut permanent holographic vinyl, which I'd never seen, much less used. Um, yes, there was a learning curve, despite obtaining a Mavic Air skin template (which was not 100% accurate or suitable for this material, but one makes do ...). Many hours, four top-skins, and multiple revisions of lesser patches later, dear ol' Bertie looks like a superhero! And if all that work spares a bird or two from a painful, probably mortal encounter with Bertie, then ... well, I'll probably never know.

View attachment 80809
Important Update: Holographic vinyl has some aluminum in it (threads, perhaps). As shown initially, the vinyl interfered somewhat with the GPS satellite signals. Some research showed me where the GPS module was, and I removed the skin from that area; this completely solved the problem:
1594047337204.png

I have always placed a few custom cut holographic vinyl on all my model AC it really does work I'm waiting on some right now for the MA2 While reviewing some video I have spotted quite a few bigger birds following me around I had no clue they were there but the vinyl will work great to scare them away.

Important Update: Holographic vinyl has some aluminum in it (threads, perhaps). As shown initially, the vinyl interfered somewhat with the GPS satellite signals. Some research showed me where the GPS module was, and I removed the skin from that area; this completely solved the problem:
View attachment 107090

Ooooo...shiny.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31