DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Starting Out.

Tony O

Reactions
Hi.

I'm relatively new to this. I considered getting a UAV well over a year ago but the more I read, the more I'm being put off. I haven't purchased one yet but I am thinking of getting a Mavic Pro.

I've read quite a lot and have a few questions:-

1/ I live in Paignton, Devon and have installed the NATS Drone Assist. It shows a local park area and, rightly, labels it as Pedestrian Hazard and 'be mindful of their safety'. Would I be correct in thinking that, given it is a clear area, I COULD fly in/on it?

2/ At some point in the future, I will be moving to a village near to an airport. Given that the house location is just 3.6km from the centre of the airfield, I will assume that I can't even hover in the back garden.
My question is this - is the Mavic fitted with an automatic 'no fly' setting to make sure I don't?

All comments appreciated.

Tony

Yes it is. It will give you a message saying you're in a No Fly Zone. You will be unable to start the motors.

There are ways of unlocking NFZs. There are also ways of editing the Firmware to allow you to fly is NFZs.

I believe you can wrap tin foil around the Mavic to stop it receiving a GPS signal. You can then fly in atti mode. I wouldn't recommend this though.

Reactions: Gray_seagull
Yes it is. It will give you a message saying you're in a No Fly Zone. You will be unable to start the motors.

There are ways of unlocking NFZs. There are also ways of editing the Firmware to allow you to fly is NFZs.

I believe you can wrap tin foil around the Mavic to stop it receiving a GPS signal. You can then fly in atti mode. I wouldn't recommend this though.
Hi.

Thanks for that. Well, at least I know before spending the cash.

For what it's worth, could you answer the other query in my post?

As a new flier, May I suggest you get a little Dromedia type drone to practice ATTI flight?
80 bucks, and you can gack it into the ground no loss, just reset sensors, and you're in the air again.

As to the other question, As I don't know the guidelines/laws in your country, even if it isn't deemed a "No drone Zone",you are responsible for anything that happens, regardless of yes, you can fly, or no you can't fly. So I would say, yeah, you could do it, and fly, but again, fly responsibly, when folks tend to crowd around, land and wait for them to disperse.....

Reactions: Anthony Horrigan
On flying in a Paignton park, it depends which one. Victoria Park is right in the middle of town with major roads and a railway nearby. Goodrington is a bit further out but still has the railway. Clennon valley is probably more suited to flying your Mavic but there’ll be dog walkers early morning and evening and sports played there during the day.

As a new flier, May I suggest you get a little Dromedia type drone to practice ATTI flight?
80 bucks, and you can gack it into the ground no loss, just reset sensors, and you're in the air again.

As to the other question, As I don't know the guidelines/laws in your country, even if it isn't deemed a "No drone Zone",you are responsible for anything that happens, regardless of yes, you can fly, or no you can't fly. So I would say, yeah, you could do it, and fly, but again, fly responsibly, when folks tend to crowd around, land and wait for them to disperse.....
Thank you.

On flying in a Paignton park, it depends which one. Victoria Park is right in the middle of town with major roads and a railway nearby. Goodrington is a bit further out but still has the railway. Clennon valley is probably more suited to flying your Mavic but there’ll be dog walkers early morning and evening and sports played there during the day.
Hi Bossbob

I was thinking of Roundham, simply because it's the closest to me. Safety is paramount so I wouldn't fly if there were anyone anywhere near. These areas are 'yellow' but Drone assist doesn't say 'NO'.

Looks like I'm well outside the Restricted Zone of the airport but inside the Enhanced Warning Zone. What would be the thought of flying at max of, say, 100ft or are the proposed new guidelines with a 7km radius more 'law' than 'guidelines'?

Hi Bossbob

I was thinking of Roundham, simply because it's the closest to me. Safety is paramount so I wouldn't fly if there were anyone anywhere near. These areas are 'yellow' but Drone assist doesn't say 'NO'.
Hi Tony,
I’ve only been to Roundham Park once but it seemed very small compared to the abilities of the Mavic and being on top of cliffs you’ll have to watch your height if you fly east over the sea.

Hi Tony,
I’ve only been to Roundham Park once but it seemed very small compared to the abilities of the Mavic and being on top of cliffs you’ll have to watch your height if you fly east over the sea.
Point taken. Regarding flying over the sea, I would never try it - even when competent.

Point taken. Regarding flying over the sea, I would never try it - even when competent.
Why not? Lots of wide open space. Stunning views of the cliffs around Torbay. Even some nice sailing trawlers in the bay to get out and film! No roads, just have to watch out for the gulls and helicopters. Watch your height, don’t rely on the sensor information and I turn off auto land. Keep an eye on wind around cliffs, it can be quite variable.

Why not? Lots of wide open space. Stunning views of the cliffs around Torbay. Even some nice sailing trawlers in the bay to get out and film! No roads, just have to watch out for the gulls and helicopters. Watch your height, don’t rely on the sensor information and I turn off auto land. Keep an eye on wind around cliffs, it can be quite variable.

I must admit that I really fancy having a go. However, I'm playing devils advocate with myself although it might seem I'm asking stupid and naive questions. There seem to be, almost, too many restrictions.

I don't suppose I/we could meet up and see one flying 'in the flesh'?

I must admit that I really fancy having a go. However, I'm playing devils advocate with myself although it might seem I'm asking stupid and naive questions. There seem to be, almost, too many restrictions.

I don't suppose I/we could meet up and see one flying 'in the flesh'?
Sorry, although I’m from Brixham I’m living in Bristol now. I don’t fly at all over built up areas or people. I’ve flown over the sea along the west coast of Scotland and the Mavic was incredibly stable. I’ll see if I can pm you a link to the video, it won’t have any sound.

Reactions: Tony O
Sorry, although I’m from Brixham I’m living in Bristol now. I don’t fly at all over built up areas or people. I’ve flown over the sea along the west coast of Scotland and the Mavic was incredibly stable. I’ll see if I can pm you a link to the video, it won’t have any sound.

Thanks for that.

Rules are rules for a reason. I'm sure there is enough open space to enjoy flying.

I would appreciate seeing the video if you can send the link.

Thanks again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke