DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Starting small and cheaper or larger and more expensive

I’m in NY anything creata-able is buy-able here.
Youse a New Yorker? So am I, or at least I used to be. I grew up in Up State, Pottersville, Warren County, and then Guilderland, West of Albany… Mike went into the Navy and after his 4-years, he returned home. I went in the Air Force and after 30-years, it wasn't home anymore and now I live in Virginia.

Yes, I still get together with Mike when I go back to visit friends and relatives. He has no interest in anything that doesn't fly on four-wheel. We were car-guys (actually we were called Bardahl Boys because our clothing always smelled of hypoid oil…).

Today, my stable includes an '87 Toyota Corolla, a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, a 2019 Toyota Corolla, a 2020 Honda Fit, and my '84 Harley Davidson Ironhead Sportster… And my lonely little DJI Mini 2

As for Mike, his stable includes his '57 Chevy Belair (with a big block 496), a 1968 Chevy Camaro (396 but with a column shift Automatic--one of only 27 built, all the rest had a floor shift), a late model Dodge Challenger (with a gazillion horse power…). He gave up motorcycling after his third broken arm and/of leg…

My "go-to" snack now is a Pepsi and a Kit Kat Bar…

• Love
Reactions: Droniac
Flight Performance, or Photography?

I have the Mavic 3. I can fly 17.6 linear miles or more in 33 minutes on it cruising at about 32-33mph. Max speed 47 mph. (Advertised 46 min. max aloft time).
I could fly 11.5 miles in 28 minutes on my (now sold) Mavic Air 2 cruising at about 27mph. 42mph max speed. (Advertised 34 min. max aloft time).
Or hover a long time with both also.
Nearly 1800 miles flown on them now.

Do you want to fly just to take pics/vids, or want to fly, and pics/vids are cool to have also?

Do you want to fly long distance seeing a LOT of scenery, or just around your known area pretty close?
Or do you want to fly FPV and REALLY experience high performance high G-force flying while seeing it through 3D goggles (DJI FPV model)?
Or want to fly or hover conservatively and take a few pics and vids when you see something?

DJI craft can really fly if that is what you want. They can really shoot if that is what you want.
Your value for either one can determine your choice.
The photography pros on this Forum can get into camera performance and detail better than I.

Safe Flying,
KI5RLL

Reactions: LoudThunder
I haven't flown a drone yet, but really want one! I have flown RC gliders and helicopters in the past, and photography is one of my major hobbies. So it seems a good fit. But I'm struggling with whether to jump to a larger more expensive drone, such as the Mavic 3, that I can grow into vs. starting smaller with the Mini 3...but then risking outgrowing it. That said...I have read articles and watched videos of those who feel they are two different tools for different applications. Sooo...I guess I wouldn't actually outgrow the smaller drone, but eventually would want something with more bells and whistles and more stability in winds. I don't have immediate plans to try to shoot video/stills with the drone for professional purposes, but that certainly is a real possibility.

Would love to hear from those of you who have gone through the same dilemma.
Get an Air 2S

Reactions: LoudThunder
“Have a Twinkie”. Man, havnt had a Twinkie in I don’t know how long. I’m doing it just in general principle. 👍🏻
I understand that they have found Twinkies in the pyramids that were still fresh...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer