DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Starting small and cheaper or larger and more expensive

swilson317

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I haven't flown a drone yet, but really want one! I have flown RC gliders and helicopters in the past, and photography is one of my major hobbies. So it seems a good fit. But I'm struggling with whether to jump to a larger more expensive drone, such as the Mavic 3, that I can grow into vs. starting smaller with the Mini 3...but then risking outgrowing it. That said...I have read articles and watched videos of those who feel they are two different tools for different applications. Sooo...I guess I wouldn't actually outgrow the smaller drone, but eventually would want something with more bells and whistles and more stability in winds. I don't have immediate plans to try to shoot video/stills with the drone for professional purposes, but that certainly is a real possibility.

Would love to hear from those of you who have gone through the same dilemma.

I haven't flown a drone yet, but really want one! I have flown RC gliders and helicopters in the past, and photography is one of my major hobbies. So it seems a good fit. But I'm struggling with whether to jump to a larger more expensive drone, such as the Mavic 3, that I can grow into vs. starting smaller with the Mini 3...but then risking outgrowing it. That said...I have read articles and watched videos of those who feel they are two different tools for different applications. Sooo...I guess I wouldn't actually outgrow the smaller drone, but eventually would want something with more bells and whistles and more stability in winds. I don't have immediate plans to try to shoot video/stills with the drone for professional purposes, but that certainly is a real possibility.

Would love to hear from those of you who have gone through the same dilemma.
I use the mini 3 for travelling and my Mavic 2 Pro for really serious work, cheers Len

@swilson317 ,its really all down to what you yourself ,want from your drone flying
and of course ,how much you wish to spend ,to get into the drone hobby
in some countries the actual weight of the drone, can also be a contributing factor, in the choices you make, due to the rules and regs for flying a drone where you are
another consideration is the size of the drone for ease of transport ,plus of course the costs involved ,for extra batteries should you require them
there is no real hard and fast advice that others can give you ,because they will always be based on their experiences

I would start with the Mini 3. Technology is changing so fast that in 2-3 years the 'best drone' will be different than today. Do your learning on a smaller, cheaper drone until you outgrow it.

If you outgrow it. I have a Mavic 2 Pro as well as a Mini 3 Pro, and despite the Mavic 2 having a better camera I've hardly used it since I got the Mini 3. Why? Lighter and easier to carry. Legal to fly in more places. Quieter so attracts less attention. Picture quality is good enough that the larger Mavic 2 has been pretty much relegated to a backup drone for high-wind situations.

(Note: I shoot panoramas, so gusty winds move the mini more. I detect no real difference in video (which I don't shoot much of) but can notice it in spherical panoramas.)

Also, if you plan to travel to other countries you'll find that a sub-250 g drone is a lot easier to fly legally.

I'd suggest, within the DJI range, start small and cheap.
Why? Three reasons,
1) you might find it isn't your 'thing' or doesn't yield what you had hoped.
2) I'd say crashing is almost inevitable and, depending on your luck, a small crash could wreck the drone.
3) legal restrictions on where you can fly certain weights of drone (perhaps not as tight in the USA).

If you decide on a model of drone that suits you and you will be using a phone etc. as a screen, TRY installing the control app on your phone etc. BEFORE you buy the drone.
Let's just say that, App / Phone-model compatibility has caught quite a few people out and some people get extremely 'upset' that the App doesn't work with their phone.

Remember, you do not have to buy a brand new drone.
Only my Mavic Mini was brand new, all the rest are eBayed second hand drones. I had problems with only one, a Phantom 3, and ebay sorted that out.

BUT, if you go for a DJI second hand drone and it is one of the Fly App using models that offer "Flyaway" insurance, be certain that the original owner has undone or removed all the 'bindings' that associate the drone with their DJI account and perhaps the drone with the controller.

Note I am not talking about the establishment of a connection between the drone and the controller for the purposes of flight control, that is generally not a problem.

The 'binding' stuff is/are associations that are designed to prevent a drone, that has been lost, from being flown by anyone who finds it.
Unfortunately these 'bindings' have had, perhaps, unforeseen repercussions in the second hand market when/if the original owner has not undone those bindings before shipping the drone to its new owner or returning it to a retailer.

Mini 3 pro is a good well rounded one in my opinion.

The Mavic 3 seems like it would be more appreciated by those who are already pretty well versed in phototherapy and videography to take the most advantage of the differences it offers.

Air 2s sort of in the middle of that unless you can find a used Mavic 2 pro for cheaper. Main thing you get with the air 2s over the mini 3 in my opinion is the 10bit dlog and HLG video modes (mini 3 can do 10bit cinelike d, not as big a dynamic range but nice if you're not pushing it in post processing.)

Reason I didn't try to get a Mavic 3 at the time of getting my air 2s is because I couldn't justify 3x the cost for what was a lil less than twice the drone. The 7x zoom is a nice option but it's at a camera quality no better than the mini 2.

Do all your research and make sure you are up to date with all FAA requirements for flying.
Don't think big or small; think what will suit your plans. Select the model you believe will be most suitable for the next 2-3 years. Don't plan and upgrade now; it's like planning to purchase 2 and that's expensive. Just plan for the one you think you will need, the some day in the future you can purchase a better model when it suits your future activities.
If you purchase small now and then decide in 6 months you really needed bigger you won't have the already-spent funds to get what you really wanted.
In other words, get the best for your budget and and plan to live with it a couple years.

I also come from a rc glider background and decided to start with small, cheap, but not too cheap. Mavic Mini was my first drone and even though I had years of flying under my belt I was still nervous for months, but I did outgrow it. My second drone is the Mavic air 2 which I'm very happy with but also regulated to high wind days. My last drone is a mini 3 pro which is amazing for its size without breaking the bank. I'd like to add that it does take time to adjust to all the different things you need to check and keep up with.

I fly a Mini 2 and I love it. I've flown the Phantom P4 and the highly thought of Mini 3 pro and it's Great too. But I learned to fly on a Non-GPS $50 drone from eBay... I use to fly RC Aircraft years ago, but a Quadcopter is a whole new can of worms... Perhaps the one greatest advantage with a GPS Drone is that you can put your controller down and go drink a soda and eat a Twinkie and when you come back, your drone is exactly where you left it... As you know with an RC aircraft or copter, if you take your eyes of it for a moment, you can put your controller down, because you will now be going over to pick up the pieces,,, With a Non GPS drone, just to hover, you have to fly it to keep the wind or even a breeze from blowing your drone away.

And once you've experienced First Person View, or FPV, where you are flying your drone through the screen, as if you are actually piloting the drone from inside it, it's a hard habit to break...

Last edited:
I wasn’t aware. I’ve not seen any information to verify that amount of time. Would you point me in the correct direction please?
The time they claim is in a controlled lab to get the max claim time. I also have the plus batteries, and it is a joy to have the extra time to work with. Of course I fly the hell out of it so I'm sure it's not 48 min for me but that's fine.
I'd like to add it did take forever to get use to or trust looking at the screen, flying rc there is no take your eyes off it, lol.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet