DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm canceled me today

How is flying skill going to prevent something like a theft? The personal article policy covers this. If you want to run the risk of having to pay $1000 out of your pocket if your drone gets stolen, that is your choice. For others, it's worth paying $60 and not worrying about paying. Or look at it this way... you could pay for insurance and as long as you had one total loss within 16 years, you'd come out better with insurance. It's actually even longer as $60 will get you around $2000 of insurance so you can be covering many other things for that same cost.

You talk about one person's loss and that insurance companies are in the business to make money. I'm not sure you are considering how insurance works.[/QUOTE

]
Son I understand insurance. I went to college on a golf scholarship and if my clubs were stolen that was a big event! Thank goodness I couldn’t fly my clubs because that would be a much bigger risk! Are you starting to understand risk now???

"Roll of the dice" means a risk taken to achieve something. As you mention, there is no risk as there is no real loss either way (gain peace of mind or don't suffer a loss). Is it possible to spend more on insurance then you earn in the long run? Yes. But this would be a dollar for dollar situation and not what insurance is.

As far as spending more on insurance and never having a claim, which is as close to "roll of the dice" that is possible, it would take 16 years worth of rolls before you'd approach that type of situation.
I just rolled the dice and think you're an insurance salesperson

Reactions: Golfez

Son I understand insurance. I went to college on a golf scholarship and if my clubs were stolen that would be a big deal. Thank goodness I couldn’t fly my clubs that would be a big deal. Are you starting to understand risk now???

Your insurance company wouldn’t let you roll the dice 16 times. Jesus you are an idiot!!

Your insurance company wouldn’t let you roll the dice 16 times. Jesus you are an idiot!!

I'm not sure you understand the post (or point). Each year is a roll of the dice against a loss. It does not mean you need to make a claim. You say that the insurance company won't let you "roll the dice" 16 times. They certainly _would_ let you pay them $60 per year and never file a claim. Or do you mean they won' renew your policy if you made a claim within that 16 years? Well, you just proved my point and simply agree with my post... as you paid less then $1000 and earned $1000. Hence, even you are showing it's not a "roll of the dice". You may not want to call someone an idiot until you actually understand the subject.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Insurance companies are the single biggest scam business in history. Everything is great until you need to make a claim, then they drop you like hot potato.

Reactions: Classic flyer
I find this beyond amazing how a pretty simple topic has gone this awry! I'm starting to notice this runaway crap happening in a lot of the topics in some of these forms and I guess it's just another sad statement as to where our society is headed.

Yep, had filed a claim this past fall (Oct) when I crashed my Mavic (total loss). Received a payout and bought a new Mavic. I contacted them and gave them the updated serial number of the new drone to continue with the policy. Today I received a letter from State Farm saying that my policy will NOT be renewed due to the fact that I had made a claim. Looks like State Farm is getting smart to the fact that its a no win policy on drones. At least my policy goes till April before I have no more coverage on it. BTW this is the first claim I have made on any Ins.policy I have taken out in 25 years with State Farm.
If this is the only policy you have with them, it will be an issue of profitability. These are such high-risk, low cost policies that it would take many, many years to break even.

The PA is completely separate from your other policies. What Sf _should_ do if they pay out on the PA is cancel that policy (if the only item on the policy is what they paid for) and simply keep your other policies active. This is not an all or nothing thing. These are separate polices. Just as a carrier could cancel an auto policy but not cancel a home owners policy for the same person.

If an agent tells you that your premiums won't change if you have a claim, ask for it in writing. Anything less means nothing. There is a good chance they won't commit themselves to this beyond trying to sell you something. If they will, great. It's like asking a car salesman if you are getting a good deal.
You can't get any agent worth anything to put that in writing as they have no control over underwriting decisions.

Insurance companies are the single biggest scam business in history. Everything is great until you need to make a claim, then they drop you like hot potato.

So a company should be forced to provide a service that they don't want to? If you ran a company that sold widgets to a person and you were losing money, you should be forced to continue to sell them anyway?

Then don't do business with them. If politicians force you to do business with them, then your gripe is with politicians, not insurance companies.

Reactions: GFields
How do I go about setting up a policy with them? Whats type of policy is it under, etc...
Hi - I was wondering the same thing. I didn't have a SF policy so I was wondering if they would even offer a separate PAP (Personal Articles Policy) but I read the comments here and everyone said that they are willing to do it separately. I reached out (I think I e-mailed probably a dozen agents) and got calls back from about 4 - all of which were willing to handle this type of policy. It cost me $60 in Michigan to insure both my Spark and my Mavic (including with the Combo packages). I haven't had to make a claim yet but the peace of mind to know that I could get a full reimbursement is wonderful and worth any penny. I was particularly concerned about the drones landing in Lake Huron or flying away - both of which are NOT covered by DJI refresh. SF said "no problem". I'm sure they see this as a way to get people to hopefully move their other policies to them which is fine. My agent was very nice and interested in the hobby and happy to help. Regarding the cancellation or non-renewal if I do make a claim... well, I could see them saying that and if they do, I'd try another agent. They all seem to be franchised and make their own decisions about what they will insure or not. Some told me outright they don't insure drones, some didn't know and others said "sure" and they are all within a 30 mile radius of me so that shows you that it's more of an individual thing. There's a minimum with the PAP usually of $50 and then it covers a certain amount. Hope this helps!

Reactions: paulmike3
Yep, had filed a claim this past fall (Oct) when I crashed my Mavic (total loss). Received a payout and bought a new Mavic. I contacted them and gave them the updated serial number of the new drone to continue with the policy. Today I received a letter from State Farm saying that my policy will NOT be renewed due to the fact that I had made a claim. Looks like State Farm is getting smart to the fact that its a no win policy on drones. At least my policy goes till April before I have no more coverage on it. BTW this is the first claim I have made on any Ins.policy I have taken out in 25 years with State Farm.

I had been with State Farm for over 30 years. After the first accident, they dropped me. 30 years of paying them and one claim does it.

I had been with State Farm for over 30 years. After the first accident, they dropped me. 30 years of paying them and one claim does it.

You should start shopping around for insurance. I too, like you have been with the same Insurance for over 25 yrs. I was surprised to see how much more I was paying by not doing so.
A big competitor company was almost half on my Motorhome policy with the same coverages and hundreds lower on my 3 homes.
Ship around [emoji106]

Reactions: GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS