DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm insurance update

While it's always a possibility, it's far less likely when the claim is under a personal article policy. A personal article policy has a _very_ limited exposure for the insurance company. Something that falls into that category are the people who pay for them. People who take personal article policies tend to have the means to buy something expense and then pay to have them insured. These people are less likely to file claims.

A homeowners policy has a _much_ higher personal property limit and also contains liability coverage. So when a claim (any claim) is filed under a homeowners policy, the claims itself is weighed against the exposure to the insurance company (a might higher personal property limit and that the policy contains a liability exposure (payments to a 3rd party)). So, to some degree, a homeowners claim is looked at just as a claim made against a policy with a _lot_ of exposure and a claim against a personal article policy is a claim against a much smaller and isolated policy.

Thank you. Very well explained.

$30 per year, no deductible in Virginia. $900 coverage for MP. They did say they possibly would replace the drone if they could acquire one for less than payout.

Talked with my State Farm rep in California. Until the insurance commissioner says OK, there will be no drone insurance in California. The rep estimates at least 6 months for them to do a review of other states and then set a price. Hope it comes sooner.
tjcooper

Talked with my State Farm rep in California. Until the insurance commissioner says OK, there will be no drone insurance in California. The rep estimates at least 6 months for them to do a review of other states and then set a price. Hope it comes sooner.
tjcooper

You really need to speak to another agent (or an actual agent). The State would need to approve a personal article floater policy... which SF has had in CA for decades. As far as the drone... it's simply just another of any item that can be insured. There is no approval needed by the state for the actual item on the policy, only the policy itself.

need help with my State Farm insurance.

so after reading a lot about me getting a better deal with State Farm rather than DJI, i called my State Farm rep to get a quote.

initially the rep did not know i can get insurance for my drone, then she calls me back and tells me she has been enlightened and gave me a quote of $26 for a year, then calls me back telling me minimum coverage is $60ish which i was good with but then calls me back to tell me the drone has to be under 0.55 lbs!!!

is the weight limit accurate? but why? is it because im in Michigan?

if the weight limit is false, can someone point me to a specific article/policy that says otherwise? or a number to call to get straight facts?

thank you for everyone's kind help..

I canceled my SF insurance last month. It was only ~$20 a year with my other personal articles but I knew I'd never file a claim for it so why waste the money.

initially the rep did not know i can get insurance for my drone, then she calls me back and tells me she has been enlightened and gave me a quote of $26 for a year, then calls me back telling me minimum coverage is $60ish which i was good with but then calls me back to tell me the drone has to be under 0.55 lbs!!!

is the weight limit accurate? but why? is it because im in Michigan?

if the weight limit is false, can someone point me to a specific article/policy that says otherwise? or a number to call to get straight facts?

After the agent was wrong twice, I'd suspect further information is incorrect as well.

If nothing else, it's internal State Farm policy and not something can supply to you. What the person told you makes no sense. It is a 1st party coverage (not liability) so who cares about the weight. It's simply the exposure and cost. There is no change in the exposure (again for 1st party coverage) because of the weight.

I'd call the person back and explain what I mentioned above, explain that you'd read about a lot of people getting the policy on their Mavics and ask for him/her to check their information.

If that does not work, call another agent.

Reactions: bapski
Yes mine is in 100 ft of salt water and was paid the same day I reported it
Guess I need to explain this some. I was on a offshore boat . I had set my PH 3 Advanced on the back to get it ready to fly. Reached for my bag to get the controller out bumped the PH 3 and it went for a swim. I gave State Farm my bank routing number when I filed the claim about 9 am and by 3 pm the money was in my account.

Do I need to produce a receipt to start coverage?
I found my goggle receipt but can’t locate my Mavic receipt from Best Buy. Can I use print outs from my amazon account for my accessories like case, lenses etc...
Thanks
Mike

Do I need to produce a receipt to start coverage?
I found my goggle receipt but can’t locate my Mavic receipt from Best Buy. Can I use print outs from my amazon account for my accessories like case, lenses etc...
Thanks
Mike
I did and SF accepted it

I had a $60 premium until I was dropped for making a claim.

Is there any chance I could get a policy with a different agent? I assume they'd look up customers before signing off on it, but I was hoping I could maybe find an agent who's stupid enough to just sign off and not ask questions.

After the agent was wrong twice, I'd suspect further information is incorrect as well.

If nothing else, it's internal State Farm policy and not something can supply to you. What the person told you makes no sense. It is a 1st party coverage (not liability) so who cares about the weight. It's simply the exposure and cost. There is no change in the exposure (again for 1st party coverage) because of the weight.

I'd call the person back and explain what I mentioned above, explain that you'd read about a lot of people getting the policy on their Mavics and ask for him/her to check their information.

If that does not work, call another agent.

well since it was late in the day last Friday to call the SF rep, i decided to send an email to clarify the WEIGHT requirement.

i got a reply today and turns out she was saying UNDER 55 LBs! and not 0.55 lbs (see how a mere DOT makes a HUGE difference) i dunno where the disconnect came from but ill probably blame myself since it has been registered in my puny brainy the used to be discussion of FAA guideline that DID NOT require SPARK owners to register since its weight was less than 0.55 lbs... Mondays!

thanks for the input though since this led me to pursue and clarify things.. with a clear thought, i hope.. :D

another question id like to ask though is, should i make a claim for a LOST,DAMAGED DRONE, with statefarm, will this increase insurance premiums with them.. or whatever other things a claim may affect?

i am just trying to figure out if its cost effective to just replace the $1000 drone rather than get dinged with an increased premium for a number of years by making a claim...

thank you again for your all your help and inputs.

Last edited:
well since it was late in the day last Friday to call the SF rep, i decided to send an email to clarify the WEIGHT requirement.

i got a reply today and turns out she was saying UNDER 55 LBs! and not 0.55 lbs (see how a mere DOT makes a HUGE difference) i dunno where the disconnect came from but ill probably blame myself since it has been registered in my puny brainy the used to be discussion of FAA guideline that DID NOT require SPARK owners to register since its weight was less than 0.55 lbs... Mondays!

thanks for the input though since this led me to pursue and clarify things.. with a clear thought, i hope.. :D

another question id like to ask though is, should i make a claim for a LOST,DAMAGED DRONE, with statefarm, will this increase insurance premiums with them.. or whatever other things a claim may affect?

i am just trying to figure out if its cost effective to just replace the $1000 drone rather than get dinged with an increased premium for a number of years by making a claim...

thank you again for your all your help and inputs.

Your Personal Article Policy should be separate from any other insurance.

If you make a claim before a year, you will get dropped. That happened to me (claim in one month, especially bad luck). I would claim lost drones and serious damages, but not minor damages, with that in mind.

Reactions: bapski
If you make a claim before a year, you will get dropped. That happened to me (claim in one month, especially bad luck). I would claim lost drones and serious damages, but not minor damages, with that in mind.
They should only cancel the policy if they pay out the limit (i.e. the Mavic is a total loss). Otherwise it should stay enforce the entire policy period. To my knowledge SF does not really have anything in place to repair Mavics.

Your Personal Article Policy should be separate from any other insurance.

im getting the SF insurance for peace of mind. i already have dji care refresh BUT am i still leery in flying my used to Spark and now MA to the max for fear of a FLY-AWAY or my drone dropping dead on water... maybe this mindset will change if i already have SF insurance on board.. im just a MURPHYS law magnet. lol..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview