DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm insurance

I think that NJ has the highest insurance rates in the country, so if someone down in the SE is paying $75, your rate might be higher. As @Cheech Wizard said, still better than DJI Refresh, but it doesnt hurt to have both. You can never have too much insurance.
That’s exactly what I think about insurance! You can never have enough. :)

So I contacted the State Farm agent in the next town and here is her quote. The first agent was really trying to stick it to me, once I’m signed up I’m going to forward the quote to them.

Hi Jesse,
Thank you. The annual premium for the insurance on the drone will be $60.00 with a $0 deductible. I can start the policy today if you would like.
Please let me know.
Susan

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I agree it’s a great deal but the first agent tried to charge me $125.00. I will get the DJI Refresh as well and save State Farm for worst case scenario.

I missed the dji refresh window. All 3 times they emailed me since last September every month when I bought the MP1. Lol
I instead elected to go with a $60 State Farm insurance policy here in Savannah. $0 deductible. If I crash it and retrieve it I'll send it @Thunderdrones and have it accessed. If it's destroyed or lost, I'll file the claim. I'm sure they'll cancel afterwards but I'm covered for $1400. That'll get me an MP2! And dealing with DJI and end up with a refurb is bulls**t and unacceptable to me.
I'm happy with my choices.

I talked to the SF agent and was told that the drone is covered for liability under my home owners policy, PROVIDING I am a hobbyist. But if I am flying the drone for business, part 107, they would cover it ONLY if it was an incidental part of my business (if I was a realtor, or in construction etc and I used the drone to augment that business they would write the policy). But as a drone business subbing out to others, they would not write the policy for liability and or loss/damage to the drone.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I talked to the SF agent and was told that the drone is covered for liability under my home owners policy, PROVIDING I am a hobbyist. But if I am flying the drone for business, part 107, they would cover it ONLY if it was an incidental part of my business (if I was a realtor, or in construction etc and I used the drone to augment that business they would write the policy). But as a drone business subbing out to others, they would not write the policy for liability and or loss/damage to the drone.
This is correct. I was told the same thing.

Here, near Athens, GA I was quoted $75.00/year, $0.00 deductible for personal articles policy, but only if my house, car(s) and motorhome were also insured with State Farm; otherwise, no insurance. Agent stated that locality determines premium. As for having to have all other assets insured with SF, obviously they all aren't working from the same book if some are getting it with no strings attached.

Here, near Athens, GA I was quoted $75.00/year, $0.00 deductible for personal articles policy, but only if my house, car(s) and motorhome were also insured with State Farm; otherwise, no insurance. Agent stated that locality determines premium. As for having to have all other assets insured with SF, obviously they all aren't working from the same book if some are getting it with no strings attached.
Find another agent. You're getting bullied into a larger policy. I'm in Savannah.

I called an agent 15 min down the road from the first one I called and quote went for $125 to $60. I would definitely try a few in the area and see what you come up with.

Here in Oregon I pay $85 annually with $0 deductible for my State Farm policy and it covers all my drones and the associated equipment against any type of losses. Currently I have the Inspire 2 and the M2P on the policy. But once you get your Part 107 certification they will no longer cover you. It’s only while you’re considered a hobbyist that they will issue and renew your policy. That was made perfectly and repeatedly clear by my insurance agent.
I also purchased DJI Refresh Care for repairs if I ever need to send either in for repairs. I figured it was better to be prepared, especially for my Inspire 2 which is much more of an investment.
well, I guess that counts me out...I have my Part 107 license

I find it interesting that they will insure hobbyist and not "professionals" even on a different type of policy. you would "think" that professionals would be a lower risk. Maybe they are factoring in actual use time in the risk calculation.... I would guess that the first 50 hours of flight time are the riskiest and the "professionals" are for the most part past that learning curve.

I find it interesting that they will insure hobbyist and not "professionals" even on a different type of policy. you would "think" that professionals would be a lower risk. Maybe they are factoring in actual use time in the risk calculation.... I would guess that the first 50 hours of flight time are the riskiest and the "professionals" are for the most part past that learning curve.

My guess is it has more to do with the potential liability they open themselves up to by being associated with a business. They assume if you are 107 then you're using it on jobs, where you really should have liability insurance in addition.

Anyone know of another Ins Co that will sell drone ins? State Farm won't sell to MA. Can't say as I blame them!

My guess is it has more to do with the potential liability they open themselves up to by being associated with a business. They assume if you are 107 then you're using it on jobs, where you really should have liability insurance in addition.
Not sure how insuring a drone for damage to said drone opens them up to any liability beyond the cost of the drone but I am not an insurance guy or a lawyer. That said, I was asked directly if I was using it for any kind of business by my SF agent. I should have asked why it is different other than it not being a Personal Article.

Reactions: Thekidd76
Not sure how insuring a drone for damage to said drone opens them up to any liability beyond the cost of the drone but I am not an insurance guy or a lawyer. That said, I was asked directly if I was using it for any kind of business by my SF agent. I should have asked why it is different other than it not being a Personal Article.
Well, here's the deal. I asked Meredith Lamas, personally, in Savannah when I purchased the policy, "How many claims have been filed in Savannah on this policy I have?" She said none yet.

Meridth Lamas State Farm Insurance | Home and Auto Insurance Savannah GA

I don't know how many policies she has in Savannah but we're nearly a 1/2 million with surrounding areas, so... I'd say no one is screwing the pooch around here...

She also said she has no issues denying a 20 year old the same policy as me, a 50 year old. There's no "law" that requires her to sell to everyone equally. It's a business.

If you're a schmuck, I guess you're on your own.

Reactions: BD0G

No. It’s just a typical “business use exclusion” that you’ll find In almost any insurance policy. Like how your personal auto insurance won’t apply if you’re driving your own car for Uber. They have separate divisions for underwriting CGL and commercial property policies typically. It’s all part of insurers’ Byzantine actuarial models.

I'm just west of West Palm Beach, Fl and have a $60/yr Personal Article policy from SF, no deductible and it covers ANY loss of the drone. I also have car insurance with SF but this is a separate policy. Otherwise I would have to meet a deductible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise