DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State farm policy

black_magic100

Reactions
I crashed my drone the other day about 60 feet up flying backwards and clipping a branch. Luckily, I've had state farm PAP for the last year and a half.

Has anybody made a claim with State farm and can tell me how this is suppose to work. Do I just reach out to my agent and tell him that I crashed my drone?

If anybody has gone through the process and could give me some insights I'd greatly appreciate it.

Reactions: black_magic100
I have been reading a lot of posts about it effecting homeowners insurance. I am only 22 so no homeowners yet, but if I purchase a place of my own in the next few years do you know if that will have any effect? I am in Ohio if that makes a difference.

Could I ask my agent and also tell him why I am asking or how would I go about that?
You can call your agent or file a claim online here:

I have been reading a lot of posts about it effecting homeowners insurance. I am only 22 so no homeowners yet, but if I purchase a place of my own in the next few years do you know if that will have any effect? I am in Ohio if that makes a difference.

Could I ask my agent and also tell him why I am asking or how would I go about that?

If it has any affect at all, it will be negligible. You wont get turned down for any insurance because of one claim, and if its more than 3 years from now, you might not even need to report it.

If it has any affect at all, it will be negligible. You wont get turned down for any insurance because of one claim, and if its more than 3 years from now, you might not even need to report it.
I was actually going to call you tomorrow. I used to frequent this forum every single day, but don't really get a chance to fly my drone all that often. Was wondering how much you would charge to repair as if I make a claim now they most likely won't let me insure the drone again. I think I would rather save it in case the drone takes a dip in the water or something more drastic.

After cleaning the entire unit the only damage that I can see is as follows:

- 1 broken prop, although I will replace all 4
- a very slightly scratched up battery on the top side
- a broken gimbal ribbon and also 2 of those small wires that attach to the gimbal (other than that the gimbal seems perfectly fine, but hard to tell. No scratches or scuffs or anything like that.

Regardless I will probably have to get it repaired whether or not I make a claim so I thought I would run it by you first and see what you think. Could be dumb to pay insurance for 2 years and not make a claim, but it's only $5 a month so not bad at all and like I said before I don't think they will let me purchase it again.

I was actually going to call you tomorrow. I used to frequent this forum every single day, but don't really get a chance to fly my drone all that often. Was wondering how much you would charge to repair as if I make a claim now they most likely won't let me insure the drone again. I think I would rather save it in case the drone takes a dip in the water or something more drastic.

- a broken gimbal ribbon and also 2 of those small wires that attach to the gimbal (other than that the gimbal seems perfectly fine, but hard to tell. No scratches or scuffs or anything like that.

Regardless I will probably have to get it repaired whether or not I make a claim so I thought I would run it by you first and see what you think. Could be dumb to pay insurance for 2 years and not make a claim, but it's only $5 a month so not bad at all and like I said before I don't think they will let me purchase it again.

My labor rate is $49 per hour plus parts. The battery is probably fine if its just scratched. Its hard to ballpark a repair without seeing it first, but I let people know the estimate before I repair anything.

Reactions: Bobvt

If I was you, I would make the claim. SF will give the replacement cost. Purchase a new drone, then have the damaged one repaired. Put the new drone onto the SF policy as soon as you get it. Then you will have 2 drones, and then if SF does drop you, you will already have 2 drones that will then be your "insurance policy". But if they don't drop you, you can continue coverage on the newer drone and still have 2 drones and SF coverage. Either way, your coming out ahead. SF sells insurance policies, they understand that they will have to pay claims on a certain amount of these policies. Use it, you've paid for it.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Here is what I recommend. Its not cheap, but its works.

When buying a drone, I recommend buying Refresh plus State Farm PAP before the props even turn for the first time. If you have a problem that can be repaired the first year, send it in under Refresh and pay DJI. You get a new or refurbed drone. No affect on your SF policy. If you have a second crash, send it in again under Refresh, then sell it and buy a new drone, and new Refresh. Keep the State Farm policy, just change serial #'s with the new drone.

Why go to all this trouble? Use Refresh if you crash but can find the drone. If you cant find it, you have no choice but the file a SF claim. State Farm can cancel you or refuse to renew if you have had a claim in your first year. They wont if you file in your second year. Let Refresh work for you, while you keep your SF policy in good standing. Use it only in emergencies if the drone is lost.

If I was you, I would make the claim. SF will give the replacement cost. Purchase a new drone, then have the damaged one repaired. Put the new drone onto the SF policy as soon as you get it. Then you will have 2 drones, and then if SF does drop you, you will already have 2 drones that will then be your "insurance policy". But if they don't drop you, you can continue coverage on the newer drone and still have 2 drones and SF coverage. Either way, your coming out ahead. SF sells insurance policies, they understand that they will have to pay claims on a certain amount of these policies. Use it, you've paid for it.

I did not actually end up using it. I'm to afraid that it could go into some national database and effect my future homeowner's insurance as I am only 22 and looking to move out within the year. I was able to recover it and only the gimbal wire/ribbon is broke. I guess I could make a claim.... but that would also potentially effect future insurance on drones that I may request. I guess it is dumb to have paid $120 for insurance that I am not going to use, but if I had lost the drone I probably would have. Also, in retrospect, I am paying $5 a month for peace of mind.
If it did not go into a national DB that insurer's use I probably would have.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard