DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State parks rule

Thanks for your input. What is the reason for not flying above state parks? As a park ranger you would know best. Do drones pose a threat to wildlife or is the law only to please annoyed sometimes paranoid people in the park? Just for safety reasons?
I don't know why the state legislature passed the law, but there is a statement at the top of the page I'll paste below. It is the only drone law in Maine AFAICT, passed in July of 2015. It's my opinion that they didn't want to spend any time or resources crafting a policy that would accommodate any sUAS use by the public, so they just banned them. Maine does have large tracts of 'Public Reserved Land' (mostly forest) that is not affected by the ban.

MAINE STATE PARK POLICY  BUREAU OF PARKS AND LANDS

Drones, Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS)

Public safety, privacy of park users, liability, protection of wildlife, and noise are the primary factors considered in formulating this policy. The general use of drones (UAS) is prohibited in Maine State Parks, Historic Sites, or DACF Boat Launches without direct oversight and guidance of an approved law enforcement agency or by the issue of a Special Activity Permit.

Commercial Use
Commercial use of drones (UAS) is prohibited.

Law Enforcement Use

Maine law enforcement agencies including Maine State Police, Maine Warden Service, Maine Marine Patrol, Maine Forest Service, Maine County Sheriff Departments, and Maine Municipal Police Departments are authorized under this policy to provide oversight and guidance for search and rescue missions or training under the following circumstances:

1. The mission of all UAS use must be for search and rescue operations or training.
2. Law enforcement agencies may coordinate with an outside agency that is licensed, FAA
registered, and certified for the purposes of search and rescue or reconnaissance
necessary to effect recovery of an individual.
3. The collaborating law enforcement agency must contact the Bureau of Parks and Lands
immediately when any use of UAS from Bureau of Parks and Lands property is used and
must be present, on site, at all times that the UAS is used.
4. The law enforcement agency will be required to notify the Park, Regional office, or
Central office of the Bureau of Parks & Lands regarding each mission immediately or prior to the start of the mission.

State Employee Use
State employees or their representatives in the official conduct of their duties and with prior written permission from the Bureau are exempted from this policy.
Special Activity Use
Under certain rare circumstances Special Activity Permits may be issued. Individuals wishing to pursue the use of drones in a Maine State Park can apply for a Special Activity Permit. The issue of a Special Activity Permit will be processed through the Parks regional office containing a full description of the activity along with an appropriate Certificate of Liability Insurance listing the State of Maine, Bureau of Parks and Lands, and the specific park, as co-insured. The permit will be valid only after the signature of the Regional Manager has been obtained.

The politicians who WONT LET ME FLY A FLYING CAMERA IN AN EMPTY PARK! Lol they have no idea what it takes to fly nor do they understand the technology before creating and enacting legislation that effects us.

They should allow those of us with cert to fly in empty parks.

What you perceive to be an empty park may not be, and what if you get airborne and then somebody pulls up? Would you be quick to land or would you try to push it?

And why should you get special privileges because you have a commercial certificate?

Off topic (unless you order a delivery of fast food to the park), but FAA approved Amazon for delivery via drone... what about my grandkids and pets in my yard. Delivery won’t have night restrictions. Read the details in the following:

I agree but parks lol minus people are the safest most beautiful place and if they gave Rangers the authority it would be a great way for the FAA to check up on us. A win win for everyone. They could even only allow drones at certain times in popular areas. Before 8am and again only when it’s possible to not be flying over people.
State parks really should accommodate sUAS use in some areas, at certain times, otherwise it's exclusionary, in my view. But there's no way for state employees to be enforcing federal rules. It just doesn't work that way. In my state rangers are not law enforcement, even regarding state laws. We have to call police in if law enforcement is needed. Very rare!

I wish I know where. I purposely drove to the park to do this, but now they put a sign. Jersey/NYC is not Grand Canyon or Yellowstone.

Read through this thread to get some ideas, and also look at the B4UFLY app for possible spots.
Maybe post the area in question and someone maybe can chime in with some ideas?

Read through this thread to get some ideas, and also look at the B4UFLY app for possible spots.
Maybe post the area in question and someone maybe can chime in with some ideas?
I've done all you've mentioned, but the last one. I'll post where are the good spots to fly near South Amboy, NJ. Thank you. I want to know most definite authorized zones, like I have the right to wack you for trying to mess with my drone. Not like some grey area where I have to deal with ppl who are jealous of drone owners and feel bad about flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada