DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State parks rule

Where did you get this info?? A quick Google search reveals this info.

Hi

I am sorry
When I say California I mean San Francisco
I am leaving in San Francisco and we have
A lot of different regulations
We have city regulations and also parks has their own regulations
For example Golden Gate park administration
Do not allow any more fly drones at Golden
Gate park
Also we have here a lot of national parks
Where you can not fly your drone also
But all that regulations say you can not start and land your drone in the park
Regulations do not say anything about flying above parks

Hi Greg,

It is important to understand that there are a few levels of "parks". Drones are banned in all national parks across the nation. The states also can decide how they wish to govern state parks, in California it is ruled that the individual parks can determine their own rules. This means you may or may not be allowed to fly in a California state park. Now there are also parks inside of California obviously, but these are not state parks. They are governed by the city or other municipality and they can also set their own rules. Unfortunately for you much of the sf are is off limits as you mention, I would love to be able to fly near Golden gate Bridge.

Hi

I am sorry
When I say California I mean San Francisco
I am leaving in San Francisco and we have
A lot of different regulations
We have city regulations and also parks has their own regulations
For example Golden Gate park administration
Do not allow any more fly drones at Golden
Gate park
Also we have here a lot of national parks
Where you can not fly your drone also
But all that regulations say you can not start and land your drone in the park
Regulations do not say anything about flying above parks

Hi Greg,

It is important to understand that there are a few levels of "parks". Drones are banned in all national parks across the nation. The states also can decide how they wish to govern state parks, in California it is ruled that the individual parks can determine their own rules. This means you may or may not be allowed to fly in a California state park. Now there are also parks inside of California obviously, but these are not state parks. They are governed by the city or other municipality and they can also set their own rules. Unfortunately for you much of the sf are is off limits as you mention, I would love to be able to fly near Golden gate Bridge.

Hi CaseyH

This is what I try to explain
You can not fly your drone in the park
But you can fly above park
You need just start and land drone outside
Of the park
I can start my Mavic2 one block out of Golden
Gate park and fly above park and return my drone back with out any problems
Same with national parks

I live about a mile from a state park, my question is if I take off from my house can I fly over the park?
Yes, unless you are in some sort of no fly zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicMikeK
No worries, the only reason I recognized it is that I did this search a month ago trying to find out the rules of parks.. Took awhile for me to figure out that there really are not that many National Parks. Tons of State Parks but not so many national parks.

No worries, the only reason I recognized it is that I did this search a month ago trying to find out the rules of parks.. Took awhile for me to figure out that there really are not that many National Parks. Tons of State Parks but not so many national parks.

In numbers you are correct - there are around 8500 State Parks covering 19 million acres. In area they are dwarfed by the 61 National Parks that cover 52 million acres.

Depends on your State and the Park. Here in Utah there are virtually no state laws restricting drones other than making flight over Antelope State Park off limits. Why? I have no idea!

Do you know other parks in Utah that are worth flying over and are legal? Obviously, I live in Utah as well and am interested.

Do you know other parks in Utah that are worth flying over and are legal? Obviously, I live in Utah as well and am interested.

You know for this thread I tried looking up the law but couldn’t find it maybe it’s been changed. I know there was a relatively recent bill regarding data concerns with UAVs. Maybe this replaced the old one I’m not sure.

But to answer your question Salt Lake State Park is cool at sunset. The glass like water reflecting the sunlight is really cool.

I live about a mile from a state park, my question is if I take off from my house can I fly over the park?

Officially, no. You're not maintaining VLOS or following the safety guidelines of a model aircraft community-based organization. Depending on where your camera is pointing, it's possible you're going to fly over people as well.

More and more law enforcement agencies are coming up to speed on drone rules and regulations or have their own drone programs. If caught, you can be cited for reckless endangerment, private nuisance, criminal mischief, voyeurism, invasion of privacy, or whatever the officer determines. The officer may then forward your citation to the FAA Regional Operations Center for follow-up assistance. It will cost you time and money to defend yourself and your flight.

Unofficially, if you can do it safely, go for it! You know your equipment, skills, and environment more than we do.

Officially, no. You're not maintaining VLOS or following the safety guidelines of a model aircraft community-based organization. Depending on where your camera is pointing, it's possible you're going to fly over people as well.

More and more law enforcement agencies are coming up to speed on drone rules and regulations or have their own drone programs. If caught, you can be cited for reckless endangerment, private nuisance, criminal mischief, voyeurism, invasion of privacy, or whatever the officer determines. The officer may then forward your citation to the FAA Regional Operations Center for follow-up assistance. It will cost you time and money to defend yourself and your flight.

Unofficially, if you can do it safely, go for it! You know your equipment, skills, and environment more than we do.

Right - but that would be violating FAA regulation, not state regulation. The state is not going to cite for going BVLOS, although I guess they might report it to the FAA.

Right - but that would be violating FAA regulation, not state regulation. The state is not going to cite for going BVLOS, although I guess they might report it to the FAA.
All true. This is one reason I went to strobes on my bird to seriously increase VLOS.
Of course you could still be reported resulting in the need to formally defend yourself and this could be onerous.

Correct. However it doesn't matter if it's state or federal violation, an officer will take action.

Reactions: BigAl07
Correct. However it doesn't matter if it's state or federal violation, an officer will take action.

I think that's exceptionally unlikely, partly because BVLOS is not forbidden - it just requires a waiver. But more generally I suspect that LE action are mostly going to be limited to obvious dangerous flying or operating in areas where it is not allowed.

I do not believe that is actually true. There are too many moving parts involved for them to take take action. I am not saying they absolutely won't but the stars would have to align in order for them to actually act. The main issue I see is the operator is not in the park. Unless you are standing right next to the person reporting it I think it is pretty unlikely that you get contacted.

I do not believe that is actually true. There are too many moving parts involved for them to take take action. I am not saying they absolutely won't but the stars would have to align in order for them to actually act. The main issue I see is the operator is not in the park. Unless you are standing right next to the person reporting it I think it is pretty unlikely that you get contacted.

Maybe it could be written "Could/Should" take action....

Reactions: sar104
Maybe it could be written "Could/Should" take action....
I can agree with that. Could they take action. I suppose but they run into issues like jurisdiction and scope of authority. Leaving the Park to enforce a law that they don't have authority to enforce seems like a stretch. Now if you were on the park property flying and left maybe. In fact, I think there was a post a while back where someone got a ticket after flying on park property they left and later received a ticket or something to that effect.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78