DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State required registration of FAA 107 sUAS pilots

ToddCarey

FAA Part 107 Certified
Premium Pilot
Reactions
My home state of North Carolina has a law that requires all commercial and government UAS operators obtain a NC UAS Operator Permit for commercial operations within the State.

Does anyone know how many other states have similar laws, or is there a central database that has a list?

My home state of North Carolina has a law that requires all commercial and government UAS operators obtain a NC UAS Operator Permit for commercial operations within the State.

Does anyone know how many other states have similar laws, or is there a central database that has a list?

I haven't heard of any other states trying that. There's a good argument that the NC law is unconstitutional: it would be like a state trying to issue their own pilot licenses for manned aircraft. It's an area of the law that has been preempted by federal regulation.

Hopefully someone challenges the NC law and gets that struck down, or other states will likely copy it.

Reactions: Classic flyer

@BigAl07 ?

Reactions: dirkclod
Illinois used to require registration of pilots and aircraft. Don’t know if they still do as I have not been active in many years.

Interesting . . . Would they, by chance, require a visitor from out of state to register as well? After all, there are quite a few cities on the state line, correct? And, if someone from just across the line came over to do a job . . .

I haven't heard of any other states trying that. There's a good argument that the NC law is unconstitutional: it would be like a state trying to issue their own pilot licenses for manned aircraft. It's an area of the law that has been preempted by federal regulation.

Hopefully someone challenges the NC law and gets that struck down, or other states will likely copy it.

There is a difference between a license and a permit. A License lets you fly/drive. A permit is basically just letting whomever know you are out there doing "X"... just like I have to get a permit to have a party at the local park with more than 30 people... Just Big Brother doing what they do!.... UGH!

Interesting . . . Would they, by chance, require a visitor from out of state to register as well? After all, there are quite a few cities on the state line, correct? And, if someone from just across the line came over to do a job . . .
I thought about this a little more, and although I AM NOT an attorney, this is my opinion.

The FAA maintains the rule of law for the air space. The states however has control of the ground space where the drone is launched from. In theory, if you had a commercial project which was just over the state line, and still within VLOS, you could launch the drone from one state and work in NC, as long as you maintain the VLOS.

Now when it comes to restricted airspace, you cannot go into the restricted space no matter where the launch point is without a waiver.

The crazy part about my North Carolina, they require us to register with the State, and take a knowledge exam on line. The exam is on the same material as the FAA Knowledge exam, WHICH THEY ALSO REQUIRE US TO HAVE. That IMHO is an absolutely crazy requirement. Right now there is no charge, but as an earlier comment "it will only be a matter of time before they start charging for the permit." When that starts to happen, I for one will be making as much noise as I can to complain.

I guess if it is free, and you didnt complain when the FAA charged you $150 to take the same basic test, why not just get it done and forget about it?

10/4 - That is also my opinion at this time.
It might be a positive, if the local government ever needs to hire a drone for some reason. They would then have a "who to call with qualifications" list for every specific address!

Sorry @sar104 I didn't get notification of this LOL

As far as I know (and I'm not totally familiar with all 50 state's requirements) NC is the strictest one by far. I 'think" that another state up North (Wisc, Mich, etc) has some form of requirement but I don't remember who but it didn't seem nearly as strict as NC.

For those who want to pitch a fit over NC requiring this and thinking "oh it's not legal because it pre-empts thee FAA" you're 100% wrong. So much so that the FAA openly endorses NC's efforts and has done so vocally since day one.

Also when you think about it... NC requiring you take a similar test and agreeing to the same rules & regulations as the FAA is very smart. Why you ask? Well NC can't not enforce or penalize for Fed regulations but if they make their rules "mirror" the FAA's then they can enforce and penalize without putting undue hindrance or pre-empting the FAA's rules. By doing so you are agreeing to follow NC rules (which are identical to the FAA's) and when/if you don't they have the legal ability to do something about it.

Sorry @sar104
For those who want to pitch a fit over NC requiring this and thinking "oh it's not legal because it pre-empts thee FAA" you're 100% wrong. So much so that the FAA openly endorses NC's efforts and has done so vocally since day one.

I'm sorry, but that seems like a complete mischaracterization of the FAA's guidance to local & state governments, and the subsequent preemption cases like Singer v. City of Newton where a local UAS law was invalidated due to preemption. If you can, please cite any reference you have to the FAA openly endorsing North Carolina's specific law creating a duplicative state regulatory license for UAS operators. I would be shocked to see that the FAA did any such thing, since it would be inconsistent with all of their other issued guidance.

In fact, if you click my first link in the above paragraph and look at the linked fact sheet, the FAA's guidance goes through various regulatory hypotheticals and describes what would be inappropriate at a state/local level, and what would be appropriate:

Inappropriate regulations according to the fact-sheet:

• Operational UAS restrictions on flight altitude, flight paths; operational bans; any regulation of the navigable airspace. (for example, a city ordinance banning anyone from operating UAS within the city limits, within the airspace of the city, or within certain distances of landmarks. Federal courts strictly scrutinize state and local regulation of overflight.

• Mandating equipment or training for UAS related to aviation safety such as geo-fencing would likely be preempted. Courts have found that state regulation pertaining to mandatory training and equipment requirements related to aviation safety is not consistent with the federal regulatory framework.

Permissible state/local regulations - those laws traditionally related to state and local police power – including land use, zoning, privacy, trespass, and law enforcement operations – and are generally are not subject to federal regulation.

For example:
• Requirement for police to obtain a warrant prior to using a UAS for surveillance.
• Specifying that UAS may not be used for voyeurism.
• Prohibitions on using UAS for hunting or fishing, or to interfere with or harass an individual
who is hunting or fishing.
• Prohibitions on attaching firearms or similar weapons to UAS.

Thus the North Carolina statute falls squarely into the "inappropriate" arena of laws, since it broadly seeks to regulate the commercial use of drones in the entire state of North Carolina, instead of being a more targeted use of their police power on a specific UAS use. (for example, banning take-offs or landings in state parks, which would be permissible at a state/local level). North Carolina's attempt to have their own knowledge test regarding the use of UAS is a type of of state-required training, and thus is specifically called out as not permissible by the FAA.

The only reason the North Carolina law continues to exist is that generally the FAA themselves don't bring these kinds of preemption cases, individual pilots or companies have to, and federal litigation isn't cheap or quick. The plaintiff in Singer was only able to do it because he had legal training himself and brought the case pro se. 99% of the pilots out there aren't going to have the legal skills to successfully litigate a federal case to conclusion. Since the North Carolina law doesn't actually impose much of a burden on pilots there, it just isn't worth it for any particular individual to pay the thousands of dollars in legal fees and spend a year of their lives challenging it in court, even if the state law is inappropriate.

Also when you think about it... NC requiring you take a similar test and agreeing to the same rules & regulations as the FAA is very smart. Why you ask? Well NC can't not enforce or penalize for Fed regulations but if they make their rules "mirror" the FAA's then they can enforce and penalize without putting undue hindrance or pre-empting the FAA's rules. By doing so you are agreeing to follow NC rules (which are identical to the FAA's) and when/if you don't they have the legal ability to do something about it.

State and local authorities are already given guidance by the FAA on how to address those issues too. They collect the pilots information, document the alleged offense, and forward it to the FAA for enforcement. There isn't a need to inappropriately "duplicate" the federal regulations for state authorities to have a role there. And the Singer case determined, such duplication would be preempted by the federal regulatory structure.

I'm sorry, but that seems like a complete mischaracterization of the FAA's guidance to local & state governments, and the subsequent preemption cases like Singer v. City of Newton where a local UAS law was invalidated due to preemption. If you can, please cite any reference you have to the FAA openly endorsing North Carolina's specific law creating a duplicative state regulatory license for UAS operators. I would be shocked to see that the FAA did any such thing, since it would be inconsistent with all of their other issued guidance.

In fact, if you click my first link in the above paragraph and look at the linked fact sheet, the FAA's guidance goes through various regulatory hypotheticals and describes what would be inappropriate at a state/local level, and what would be appropriate:

Inappropriate regulations according to the fact-sheet:

• Operational UAS restrictions on flight altitude, flight paths; operational bans; any regulation of the navigable airspace. (for example, a city ordinance banning anyone from operating UAS within the city limits, within the airspace of the city, or within certain distances of landmarks. Federal courts strictly scrutinize state and local regulation of overflight.

• Mandating equipment or training for UAS related to aviation safety such as geo-fencing would likely be preempted. Courts have found that state regulation pertaining to mandatory training and equipment requirements related to aviation safety is not consistent with the federal regulatory framework.

Permissible state/local regulations - those laws traditionally related to state and local police power – including land use, zoning, privacy, trespass, and law enforcement operations – and are generally are not subject to federal regulation.

For example:
• Requirement for police to obtain a warrant prior to using a UAS for surveillance.
• Specifying that UAS may not be used for voyeurism.
• Prohibitions on using UAS for hunting or fishing, or to interfere with or harass an individual
who is hunting or fishing.
• Prohibitions on attaching firearms or similar weapons to UAS.

Thus the North Carolina statute falls squarely into the "inappropriate" arena of laws, since it broadly seeks to regulate the commercial use of drones in the entire state of North Carolina, instead of being a more targeted use of their police power on a specific UAS use. (for example, banning take-offs or landings in state parks, which would be permissible at a state/local level). North Carolina's attempt to have their own knowledge test regarding the use of UAS is a type of of state-required training, and thus is specifically called out as not permissible by the FAA.

The only reason the North Carolina law continues to exist is that generally the FAA themselves don't bring these kinds of preemption cases, individual pilots or companies have to, and federal litigation isn't cheap or quick. The plaintiff in Singer was only able to do it because he had legal training himself and brought the case pro se. 99% of the pilots out there aren't going to have the legal skills to successfully litigate a federal case to conclusion. Since the North Carolina law doesn't actually impose much of a burden on pilots there, it just isn't worth it for any particular individual to pay the thousands of dollars in legal fees and spend a year of their lives challenging it in court, even if the state law is inappropriate.

State and local authorities are already given guidance by the FAA on how to address those issues too. They collect the pilots information, document the alleged offense, and forward it to the FAA for enforcement. There isn't a need to inappropriately "duplicate" the federal regulations for state authorities to have a role there. And the Singer case determined, such duplication would be preempted by the federal regulatory structure.

Then exactly why does the FAA promote and support NC's regulations? I guess you know their business better than they do . . . .

Then exactly why does the FAA promote and support NC's regulations? I guess you know their business better than they do . . . .

How and where are the FAA promoting the NC regulations? I asked in my reply if you could cite a reference for that.

How and where are the FAA promoting the NC regulations? I asked in my reply if you could cite a reference for that.

The last time I read about it was in a LIVE Q&A with Kevin Morris (sUAS liaison with the FAA). I don't have a link to it but maybe someone else will. This is old news for most since this originally took effect back in the Section 333 Exemption days and was later modified to work with Part 107 regulations once they became valid and recorded in the FARs.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datkin