DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Senator Flies His Drone Over The State Capital Building

HAHAHA - I JUST watched that this morning. Ken Heron is one of my favorite Drone YouTube guys.
Yeah, I just saw this Drone Guy today. He's hilarious.. Even though it's an EVO2 the Senator is flying, The senator talks abou DJI quite a bit during the video. I thought forum members would like to see a little humor and Ken's Antics.

Wonder how many hoops they had to jump through to get permission to fly there?

I'm looking at the Kentucky Capitol area and I don't see any controlled space or restrictions. Are there some specific local laws that restrict people from flying drones in that area?
I don't know. I just assumed there would be around a building like that.

I don't know. I just assumed there would be around a building like that.
I was at the Michigan state capitol in Lansing earlier this month. Its in controlled airspace, but you can get LAANC authorization to, I think, 200 feet. I'm fairly certain there is no local regulation, but I checked with the capitol officials to be sure. They said the Michigan Capitol Commission had a regulation against flying over capitol grounds. I did not have time to press the matter then, but will do so at some point. The Commission controls the capitol building and grounds, but I can't imagine they can enforce control over the airspace.

Yeah, I just saw this Drone Guy today. He's hilarious.. Even though it's an EVO2 the Senator is flying, The senator talks abou DJI quite a bit during the video. I thought forum members would like to see a little humor and Ken's Antics.
Thank you and yes I enjoyed the video.

Reactions: DroneToJoy
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Since it's 1) not a TFR'd place, not prohibited airspace, 2) LAANC enabled 3) an Autel doesn't care about restrictions 4) He would be able to get the police to plainly see that he's not using the drone to spy or bomb something. So, he get's to fly there. Would any of us get the same consideration?...maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. Of course, Ken is one of us. Might turn into one of those situations in which a politician says, "Please forgive me, I made a mistake." Now I'll be the first to admit to a certain cynicism over politicians. Even so, I'm thinking there's a good side to having a politician interested in drone-flying as a hobby. I enjoyed the video.

Iowa State Captital of similar structure has no restrictions. I also assumed, and went inside to Building Security to speak with Mgmt. Handed my card and proof of liability coverage, and requested permission. They looked at me, shrugged their shoulders and said it's all good, no restrictions.

While I'm flying with LAANC authorization, the morning moves forward and 3 other Droners show up... MA (1st gen) and they all just start buzzing around. I walk over and inquire if they've filed a LAANC request... the whole group gives me a blank look and basically tells the "Old Man" to move along.

So not sure if State Buildings normally have restrictions.

Reactions: Lbesing
Thanks for sharing -- that was fun to watch!
It's interesting at 3:37 when he first takes off, the Mini announces it's in ATTI mode. I guess GPS reception is no good inside the Capitol bldg and it's too dark for the vision sensors to get a fix on the floor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_