DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stealth Flying Neighborhood

It's fun to read people's accounts self identifying themselves as potential criminals. Many jurisdictions have laws on the books that make exactly this sort of flying illegal.

So - got a girl friend you don't trust? <--- JOKING!

What is your best technique to fly/observe others without being noticed?

WHY would you want to 'observe' others without being noticed?

But a better question is - why would you announce your intention to do that to the whole world on the internet?

I purchased a set of silent props
Silent props huh? I'd like to see that...

Reactions: Lastrexking
I often fly intentionally with the goal of not being noticed, and hiding my location as best possible. This mitigates Karens from calling LEOs in situations when I'm legally flying with no intention of snooping on others. This is especially important in public where I often record animals along the local riverbed. Some folks actually get offended of drones recording wild animals, the purest PETA folks. IMO the Mini 2 is best drone for that, producing the least noise of all DJI drones, and having a great flight range and duration, with 4K and 2X zoom support.

The techniques I've learned to mitigate spectators from knowing where the pilot is flying from has to do with takeoff and landing protocol. Some may already know to do this, but here's the tactics.

For takeoff:
If someone sees a craft ascending straight up, they can automatically predict almost exactly where the flight originated, then come and find you. If you can take off horizontally and gradually ascend, it's not so obvious where the pilot is, because by the time the observer sees the craft, it's 100+yds away from the launch point. And if the observer sees it flying in a more horizontal direction, he assumes it's been flying for a while and predicting the pilot location doesn't even enter his mind. It's just another drone flying around from somewhere.

For landing:
I try to fly into my landing site in a similar manner, horizontally, just above tree level. I will often approach my landing spot from the opposite direction as I took off, so I don't fly over the same private property twice, giving someone 2 opportunities to be annoyed and possibly complain in person. I also try to come in to land fairly fast, minimizing the time that drone noise can be heard. This mitigates observation as best possible, even though someone might hear it a little bit one time. At the last minute I'll descend to land, and leave the area if I suspect anyone may complain, or search for me. Backpacks are ideal to throw the gear in and calmly walk out of the area.

These techniques don't eliminate the possibility of someone locating you, and complaining, but they work really well to minimize that possibility. I rarely get found by anyone. I'm only found when someone is hiking and happens upon my location to see me. Most flights I'm well hidden. If someone does see me and stop to ask what I'm doing, they often want to see the display, then they ooh and aah at the view. This is why I like flying from inside my car when the mission route doesn't fly very far away. It virtually eliminates passersby curiosity. Plus, if you see a LEO or ranger approach suspiciously looking around, you can immediately drive away while the craft hovers by itself, then land the craft elsewhere.

Flying from the car requires a constant monitoring of the signal strength bars, which is hard to do. Some folks can train themselves to constantly look at the signal strength bars using peripheral vision (going from white to orange color), but you have to consciously watch the bars constantly to mitigate signal loss, and the risk of auto RTH.

Last edited:
WHY would you want to 'observe' others without being noticed?

But a better question is - why would you announce your intention to do that to the whole world on the internet?

Silent props huh? I'd like to see that...
Yeah they're stock DJI props I bought at Best Buy. I would never buy aftermarket anything.

I often fly intentionally with the goal of not being noticed, and hiding my location as best possible. This mitigates Karens from calling LEOs in situations when I'm legally flying with no intention of snooping on others. This is especially important in public where I often record animals along the local riverbed. Some folks actually get offended of drones recording wild animals, the purest PETA folks. IMO the Mini 2 is best drone for that, producing the least noise of all DJI drones, and having a great flight range and duration, with 4K and 2X zoom support.

The techniques I've learned to mitigate spectators from knowing where the pilot is flying from has to do with takeoff and landing protocol. Some may already know to do this, but here's the tactics.

For takeoff:
If someone sees a craft ascending straight up, they can automatically predict almost exactly where the flight originated, then come and find you. If you can take off horizontally and gradually ascend, it's not so obvious where the pilot is, because by the time the observer sees the craft, it's 100+yds away from the launch point. And if the observer sees it flying in a more horizontal direction, he assumes it's been flying for a while and predicting the pilot location doesn't even enter his mind. It's just another drone flying around from somewhere.

For landing:
I try to fly into my landing site in a similar manner, horizontally, just above tree level. I will often approach my landing spot from the opposite direction as I took off, so I don't fly over the same private property twice, giving someone 2 opportunities to be annoyed and possibly complain in person. I also try to come in to land fairly fast, minimizing the time that drone noise can be heard. This mitigates observation as best possible, even though someone might hear it a little bit one time. At the last minute I'll descend to land, and leave the area if I suspect anyone may complain, or search for me. Backpacks are ideal to throw the gear in and calmly walk out of the area.

These techniques don't eliminate the possibility of someone locating you, and complaining, but they work really well to minimize that possibility. I rarely get found by anyone. I'm only found when someone is hiking and happens upon my location to see me. Most flights I'm well hidden. If someone does see me and stop to ask what I'm doing, they often want to see the display, then they ooh and aah at the view. This is why I like flying from inside my car when the mission route doesn't fly very far away. It virtually eliminates passersby curiosity. Plus, if you see a LEO or ranger approach suspiciously looking around, you can immediately drive away while the craft hovers by itself, then land the craft elsewhere.

Flying from the car requires a constant monitoring of the signal strength bars, which is hard to do. Some folks can train themselves to constantly look at the signal strength bars using peripheral vision, but you have to consciously watch the bars constantly to mitigate signal loss, and the risk of auto RTH.
Excellent response and very well worded. What HE said, lol! The mention on Karen's covers alot.

For takeoff:

For landing:

Flying from the car requires a constant monitoring of the signal strength bars, which is hard to do. Some folks can train themselves to constantly look at the signal strength bars using peripheral vision, but you have to consciously watch the bars constantly to mitigate signal loss, and the risk of auto RTH.
I noticed drones make more noise flying laterally than straight up or down. I take off from my house straight up to 400 ft. before flying laterally. Opposite for landing: fly at 400 ft. to my takeoff spot then straight down to touchdown.

One reason I upgraded to the Air 2S from the Mavic Air 2 is that is climbs and descends at 13 MPH. What does the Mini 2 climb and descend at?

Unless you have reason, other than just being nosey, to invade the privacy of others then I would say the simple answer is.......... don't.
My understanding is that you can fly over any property unless it is restricted air space. If you stop and observe it is not legal and has consequences if you are identified. If I am wrong please let me know.

I am huge fan of flying from inside the car, as we have quite a few videos on the Air 2s and Air 2 , just make sure you have a clear line of sight , you will be amazed at how different and relaxing it is.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I use the rear hatch (up) on my Toyota 4Runner for cover and shade - plus a place to sit down and still have great LOS with the drone. Unless you have an old AMC Pacer (bubble car), would not flying be a bit blocked - unless you were out flying on the side of the vehicle you were in. Would nor overhead be a no no without a panorama sun / moonroof?

Best advice - get the Mavic 3 in November. 7X optical zoom will make a huge difference.

Meantime, people around me get biscuit-arsed when I fly at night so I used electrical tape on the lights and obviously take off the strobes. They might hear it but they'll never locate it.
So, how do YOU see it?

Reactions: ckoerner and Moozer
What is your best technique to fly/observe others without being noticed?

400 ft
Cine mode
Master Airscrew Props

Any other advice?
observing others for purely recreational purposes? I'm in no position to judge, but if you're not directly over them then maybe it's technically legal. If you're using your drone for blackmail purposes, then you'll need your part 107.

Sorry for the question, but what exactly do you mean by, "flying from inside the car"?
Sure,
You can sit in the front seat of your car using the controller with a good view of your drone looking thru the windshield. It allows for a more comfortable arrangement and doesn't affect reception. It's a good way not to attract attention from passersby. You can really relax with the controller on the steering wheel and makes looking at settings much more comfortable than standing and holding the controller.

I would add that by covering all external lighting on the drone and flying at night would be a violation of several FAA rules and putting yourself at charges if something went wrong such as injury to someone. Not a good way to end your day (or night) impo.

Last edited:
Another piece of valuable advice:

If you are spotted by your target, fly AWAY from your takeoff/landing location, not toward it. The knee jerk reaction is to beeline back to base. It takes a conscious effort to react in this way, but it is possible.

Reactions: heightened_imagery
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929