DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stealth Flying Neighborhood

observing others for purely recreational purposes? I'm in no position to judge, but if you're not directly over them then maybe it's technically legal. If you're using your drone for blackmail purposes, then you'll need your part 107.
I have my Part 107 certificate ?

Sorry for the question, but what exactly do you mean by, "flying from inside the car"?

Just means your controlling the Drone and Visual Line of Sight while your sitting inside car.

Its very comfortable in the weather but also provides your a very braced position which allows a very smooth and cinematic ride.

I also found that less distractions can keep you very focused on the drone and the visual of the controller.
We have quite a few videos of me flying from inside the car.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I have literally shot a drone down with an Adler 12g that was poking around my farm shed,
Thats about as big a rule breaker as any. Certainly don't recommend that stupid action by anyone. How was that drone going to steal anything. If you suspected that , you should have waited for the thief, and where did the pellets fall, on your neighbors?

Be careful. I had my Phantom 4 disconnect and shut off when I sat in my car. I'm terrified to try it with the air2s. Let me know how it goes for you, will ya?
There must be more to that story. Never heard of a phantom 4 shutting off when it disconnected. By default it will RTH.
I agree. That had nothing to do with being inside the car to navigate. It likely had everything to do with the battery not being securely latched into place, a common issue with the P4, causing sudden power loss.

If you suspected that , you should have waited for the thief, and where did the pellets fall, on your neighbors?
Being on a farm, there’s a pretty good chance that the shot had nowhere near enough energy to make it to a neighbors property. Especially if he used birdshot.

Reactions: BenCat
Thats about as big a rule breaker as any. Certainly don't recommend that stupid action by anyone. How was that drone going to steal anything. If you suspected that , you should have waited for the thief, and where did the pellets fall, on your neighbors?
Not illegal at all, I'm a licensed firearms owner, registered shotgun, I live on 1000acres (4 square Klm's) 30 klm away from the nearest town, my closest nehibour is 3 klm's away. The thieves wait until your not home to steal, and when you are on a remote property down a dirt road you take no chances with your safety.

As for the remaining shot flying through the air, it's subsonic AAA shot at 800 feet per second, on a 45 degree angle so will at most travel 300meters with a velocity low enough not to pierce the skin.

As with anything situational awareness is king, know what's around you, where you're firing and what's above, below and beside the trajectory. I am a licensed and responsible firearms owner with over 40 years of hunting and shooting experience behind me, always legal, always safe.

Reactions: Blockie 2Z
Excellent response and very well worded. What HE said, lol! The mention on Karen's covers alot.
Yep! What he said is so true!
Even though I fly within regs, I still fly like I’m doing it illegally.
What I mean is, I have a flight planned out, show up with the drone and controller unpacked and ready to go.
That way, I set it down, take off, do the flight, get the footage, land and leave.
I also carry mace, just in case I end up with a Karen encounter… LOL!!!
In my 58 years on this planet, I’ve learned one important thing; “Some people just suck…”
Not everyone, but the ones that suck, SUCK!
And no, I’ve never had to use it…
So far, everyone who does happen upon me during a flight, are fascinated.
But I figure the longer I do it, the chances of a jerk finding me increase…

The only time it's ok (in my opinion, and the law too) to 'stealth' film anything is for wildlife shots, doing it to humans is called stalking. I have literally shot a drone down with an Adler 12g that was poking around my farm shed, only thieves do that.
You do realize that’s illegal, right?
Well, maybe not on Australia, but in the US it is.

You do realize that’s illegal, right?
Well, maybe not on Australia, but in the US it is.
What is illegal? The fact that someone is flying over private land, being a farm business so even more so, without prior approval, flying closer than the legal 30m minimum distance from a person, not lodging a NOTAM as we are within 3nm of an aerodrome during active National Parks and Wildlife helicopter recon missions, as well as active crop dusting missions locally?

Get to know the law mate, I do.

And here, these are some of our goats, only about $30,000 worth, I'm flying 75m away at 150ft above and look how easy it is to muster them, stock thieves use drones a lot here, set up temp yarding at a gate or a hole they make in your fence, back the stock truck up to it and in they go.

So yea, you fly over my property without permission or applying the appropriate controls (NOTAM, JSA etc) and you will lose your drone.
And yes, I do report these incidents to CASA (our FAA) as an immediately reportable matter (IRM), and to the police (the local stock theft squad).

PS: Totally new to doing YT uploads, quality is poor but I'll learn :)

Reactions: mavictk
Not illegal at all, I'm a licensed firearms owner, registered shotgun, I live on 1000acres (4 square Klm's) 30 klm away from the nearest town, my closest nehibour is 3 klm's away. The thieves wait until your not home to steal, and when you are on a remote property down a dirt road you take no chances with your safety.

As for the remaining shot flying through the air, it's subsonic AAA shot at 800 feet per second, on a 45 degree angle so will at most travel 300meters with a velocity low enough not to pierce the skin.

As with anything situational awareness is king, know what's around you, where you're firing and what's above, below and beside the trajectory. I am a licensed and responsible firearms owner with over 40 years of hunting and shooting experience behind me, always legal, always safe.
Curious as to what you did with the recovered drone and what you learned from it.

Reactions: mavictk
The only time it's ok (in my opinion, and the law too) to 'stealth' film anything is for wildlife shots, doing it to humans is called stalking. I have literally shot a drone down with an Adler 12g that was poking around my farm shed, only thieves do that.

For it to be stalking, there has to be a pattern of behavior, not isolated incidents. But, I applaud you for being one of the last Australians who has a gun and isn't afraid to use it. Sincerely.

Sorry if I came across a tad aggressive, but once someone steals half your business, stock you have raised and kept alive through one of the toughest 5 year droughts we've had I do tend to be a bit of an 'eggplant emoji' when it comes to my business's security.

We are blessed out here in the bush though as covid only just grazed the edges of our lives, I'm most certainly a half crazy middle aged man that lives in the middle of nowhere so I can enjoy nature, privacy, no sirens, no traffic and most importantly no muppets flying drones around my house. My driveway is 1klm long so it's no little flight to get eyes on my stuff.

I welcome people on to my property if they are responsible, if someone wants to grab a sunset shot from the top of a remote ridge with endless big sky I'm happy to oblige where I can, just have to ask first is all.

What I learned from the shot drone was thus:

1 - It was one of those cheap copies of a mavic I'm guessing by what was left of it
2 - Steel shot is the way to go, deep penetration through the drone
3 - Once shot, they are really stealthy, so quiet..
4 - The police have the drone now and they were fine with what I had done

Jebus I'm long winded...

Problem sometimes with these forums is we have people from so many different countries.. Apparently in Australia you are within your rights. In the USA shooting down a drone no matter if it’s over your property or not is illegal. Have a great day!!

Best advice - get the Mavic 3 in November. 7X optical zoom will make a huge difference.

Meantime, people around me get biscuit-arsed when I fly at night so I used electrical tape on the lights and obviously take off the strobes. They might hear it but they'll never locate it.
But what can your camera see in the dark?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu