DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still photo resolution

rustykfd

Reactions
Working out the bugs with my new M2P, I shot some stills today and I am ending up with 960 x 640 image files.

That can’t be right and I can’t figure out how to change it.

What am I missing here?

Sounds
Working out the bugs with my new M2P, I shot some stills today and I am ending up with 960 x 640 image files.

What am I missing here?
Sounds like you are downloading the previews. Full images are on the SD card. If you don’t have an SD card that you inserted in the covered slot on the side of the M2P, get one. 64MB is likely late enough. That makes changing them affordable and prevents loss of earlier data in a worst case drone loss.

I’m pulling these off my SD card (from the aircraft). That’s why I’m puzzled.

If you cannot get any reasonable size of your images, I would suggest you reset DJI Go 4 upon next launch and start to configure again.
As @Thomas B pointed out, it sounds like you are only getting the previews. Are you accessing the DCIM folder on your SD card?

Reactions: Thomas B
4ff8546ace5c70b761388797b4715035.jpg
ca103481b51f737ab561b6f82bddb181.jpg

If you cannot get any reasonable size of your images, I would suggest you reset DJI Go 4 upon next launch and start to configure again.
As @Thomas B pointed out, it sounds like you are only getting the previews. Are you accessing the DCIM folder on your SD card?

Yes, DCIM folder on card.

If you are shooting raw (.dng), that is the size of the jpeg preview. When the .dng is exported after editing as jpeg, the size will be correct.
Annotation 2019-09-09 132417.png

Reactions: Johnmcl7
That's very odd ...
Can you try after resetting and without the card. The M2P has 8 GiB of memory built-in.

If it puts 20 MP out, try again with the SD card. ;)
You can set RAW+JPEG to get both formats for a single exposure without the need to convert. Both feature the full resolution certainly.

I’m also not able to see any photos on my iPad Pro, but I can on my PC.

I have reset camera settings and that changed the menus slightly, maybe an update changed stuff?

Still working on this.

Well, I guess that's not related, as the iPad Pro may not know the file system on the SD card (we had a similiar issue not so long ago), although it should at least read ExFat.
If you can see the full resolution on your PC, everything is fine. Then we can work out that you can access them on Apple too.

I would recommend to switch to the internal memory, hook the drone up via USB cable and see if the photos have full resolution.

DNG shows 960x641
JPEG shows 5472x3648

I guess I need to figure out DNG vs RAW.

Ok, just found that there is a low resolution JPEG built into the DNG file that will open/preview if you don’t open with a program capable of opening the full DNG file.

Exactly ... the DNG is the somewhat RAW data (not exactly but let's agree to call it like that) and holds a small preview JPG embedded for a quick view.
If your RAW converter is outdated or is probably misconfigured, it may extract the preview JPG rather than importing the real file.

If you want to have fully processed files with only minor tweaks in post: you can go by JPEG
If you want to have full control and data: go with DNG
If you are not sure and have a large enough SD (64 GB should be quite fine): go with JPEG + DNG (there's an option so that you don't have to do it manually).

The difference is, the JPG is more or less already finished when rendered by the drone, the DNG is just like a negative (hence the abbreviation). It may appear flat but that's where the fun of postproduction starts.

Which converter do you use to load the DNG into your Mac? Lightroom? Should handle them without a prob if on the latest version ...

Exactly ... the DNG is the somewhat RAW data (not exactly but let's agree to call it like that) and holds a small preview JPG embedded for a quick view.
If your RAW converter is outdated or is probably misconfigured, it may extract the preview JPG rather than importing the real file.

If you want to have fully processed files with only minor tweaks in post: you can go by JPEG
If you want to have full control and data: go with DNG
If you are not sure and have a large enough SD (64 GB should be quite fine): go with JPEG + DNG (there's an option so that you don't have to do it manually).

The difference is, the JPG is more or less already finished when rendered by the drone, the DNG is just like a negative (hence the abbreviation). It may appear flat but that's where the fun of postproduction starts.

Which converter do you use to load the DNG into your Mac? Lightroom? Should handle them without a prob if on the latest version ...
QuickTime will work on the Mac if you don’t want to use 3rd party solutions.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I think the main issue is my lack of experience with the DNG files. I restarted my iPad and it is loading the JPEG‘s fine now. I’ll just shoot JPEGs until I figure out how to deal with the DNG files. Thanks for all the very timely help.

Fly safe.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I think the main issue is my lack of experience with the DNG files. I restarted my iPad and it is loading the JPEG‘s fine now. I’ll just shoot JPEGs until I figure out how to deal with the DNG files.
The only issue is that you don't have any software that can handle dng files.
The software you have can't open a dng file but it can read the 960 x 640 jpg thumbnail that's inside the dng file.

As Meta4 pointed out, there's only the software missing,
If you ever run into the need for more editing headroom, you can and may change to DNG. ;)

What am I missing here?

Whatever you're viewing to view the stills isnt capable of reading DNG files. Its reading the JPG thumbnail embedded in the DNG as opposed to the actual raw file.

You just need decent image software that can correctly read the DNG format.

I could be wrong but thought I saw a setting in the GoPro4 that asked if you want to save images as full jpgs or as thumbnails.

I could be wrong but thought I saw a setting in the GoPro4 that asked if you want to save images as full jpgs or as thumbnails.

This is a different thing. The DNG contains a low resolution ,low quality JPG that it uses to show the preview image. He has the full image but whatever software he's using is only seeing the jpg.

Reactions: lilewis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk