DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stolen drones

The Fat Controller

Reactions
It would be worth paying for an app that tracks your stolen drone (similar to nicked smartphones). An alert/location when the thief turned it on would be great, failing that, a means of rendering it unusable to said scumbag would do as second best option

Considering the mavic is running android with a camera and GPS with effectively a hotspot when connected to a mobile device then if dji wishes it would be possible

Given what we know about the company's policies and software now, I wouldn't trust DJI to implement that and make sure it functioned only in the owner's interest. No way, no how.

I've gone to some lengths to disconnect my Mavic from DJI; the last thing I want is them worming their way back in.

Reactions: dwashy21 and bonzo
I'm sure there's other ways but that would involve rooting and a custom app
In other words highly unlikely unless dji release it, which means they will have access to your location and image whenever they like

Given what we know about the company's policies and software now, I wouldn't trust DJI to implement that and make sure it functioned only in the owner's interest. No way, no how.

I've gone to some lengths to disconnect my Mavic from DJI; the last thing I want is them worming their way back in.
Amen to that.

Attach a tile to it

Tile sucks . We had one in my sons wallet . When wallet was stolen the Tile app showed last contact 6 days prior . He had his iPhone with him when the wallet was stolen and blue tooth was enabled .

Tile sucks . We had one in my sons wallet . When wallet was stolen the Tile app showed last contact 6 days prior . He had his iPhone with him when the wallet was stolen and blue tooth was enabled .

With the Tile it depends upon where you are located in Los Angeles or San Francisco there are more users so if you report it missing it will be easier to track.

There is a new tile pro series that works better when there is no line of sight. It seems to have better penetration through walls.

For $30 it is the minimum that can be done

Attach a tile to it
It might be a better idea to hide something like that in the Mavic case (not in plain sight). If someone is crafty enough to steal Mavics, I'm assuming they would also be knowledgeable enough to remove visible tracking devices.

It would be worth paying for an app that tracks your stolen drone (similar to nicked smartphones). An alert/location when the thief turned it on would be great, failing that, a means of rendering it unusable to said scumbag would do as second best option
Don't put your drone/investment in a position where it could/can be stolen.

I don't intend to but it's the type of item (small and portable) that an opportunist would grab in a moment. I was just thinking of a 'what if?' situation :)

It's insulting how they will not do anything to try to turn on or find your drone via proof and serial. What is the point of them recording everything and having it sycned whenever a thief will use it or sell it off. It kills me as mine was stolen today and I wasted over an hour trying to understand their nonsense attitude and policy, if someone were to commit a crime they would defin try to trace it back. This is just horrid honestly. Waste of my money :(

I don't intend to but it's the type of item (small and portable) that an opportunist would grab in a moment. I was just thinking of a 'what if?' situation :)

My Ruger LCP ensures that won't happen. I used to pack a Shield 9 with me in my P4P case where the props usually go, but it's way easier to conceal the LCP at all times.

Seriously though, how many folks are packing while flying? Where I'm at, there's plenty of areas that can go from upscale to bad news just depending on the time of day, and I'm not taking chances.

My Ruger LCP ensures that won't happen. I used to pack a Shield 9 with me in my P4P case where the props usually go, but it's way easier to conceal the LCP at all times.

Seriously though, how many folks are packing while flying? Where I'm at, there's plenty of areas that can go from upscale to bad news just depending on the time of day, and I'm not taking chances.
Wait... What? You'd put a bullet in someone over your drone? I carry pepper spray. I figure that I just need to buy a few minutes to get away from an assailant - not kill them.

Wait... What? You'd put a bullet in someone over your drone? I carry pepper spray. I figure that I just need to buy a few minutes to get away from an assailant - not kill them.
I live in one of the most violent crime cities in the nation. I'd put a bullet in anyone that immediately threatens my life, period. Drones have nothing to do with it. It's about being in places where self-defense protection may be necessary. Not to mention pepper spray will only get you a bloody participation ribbon when a knife or gun is in play.

Your drone doesn't need to be on the ground to be stolen. I could walk up to you, point a gun at you, take the controller, run off, and land that drone nearby to take possession of it.

There's more than 1 way to steal things, and often it involves violence. Heck, there's another thread in this very forum where a fellow drone pilot was assaulted. Yall act like theft is a peaceful thing.

I live in one of the most violent crime cities in the nation. I'd put a bullet in anyone that immediately threatens my life, period. Drones have nothing to do with it. It's about being in places where self-defense protection may be necessary. Not to mention pepper spray will only get you a bloody participation ribbon when a knife or gun is in play.

Your drone doesn't need to be on the ground to be stolen. I could walk up to you, point a gun at you, take the controller, run off, and land that drone nearby to take possession of it.

There's more than 1 way to steal things, and often it involves violence. Heck, there's another thread in this very forum where a fellow drone pilot was assaulted. Yall act like theft is a peaceful thing.
Sucks to be you...

St

Simply stealing your property is not life threatening. The only thing a cheap LCP ensures is more problems with a flimsy weapon system. LOL :D

St

Simply stealing your property is not life threatening. The only thing a cheap LCP ensures is more problems with a flimsy weapon system. LOL :D
Depends on how the thief tries to steal it. He's not going to walk up nicely and ask me to give it to him.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara