DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stolen mavic

Couldn't dji find it if they get app and fly it

So sorry to hear this. I can commiserate as I've recently gone through the exact same thing.
In answer to your question, DJI won't help you on this.
If the user also stole your tablet/smartphone AND it was unlocked, so that they used it when flying, you could find out where it was last flown, but sadly that's unlikely. The tracking relates to the user account. Personally, I think it'd be great if DJI would enable tracking based on the serial number so that if they're sent a police report (to ensure that it's not someone making false reports to make mischief) they could lock it down. But they don't.

Sadly, I actually saw my entire MP Fly More Combo on the local equivalent of Craigslist. I scrambled to set up an account in the hopes I could arrange to meet the seller (along with the local police), but in the 5 minutes it took to do it, the ad was gone. And leboncoin (the French equivalent of Craigslist) were very helpful about securing the ad. I mean helpful to the thieves, rather than me, as they made bullsh*t excuses for not providing the ad and contact info). I wish I'd gotten s screen grab...
Oh, the pain.

Last edited:
Would anyone like to share about how they were stolen? I mean was it burgled from your house when you weren't in or did someone grab it and run when it was right next to you etc?

Reactions: scalmes
Bc we were travelling and had moved out of our house, most of our valuable stuff was with us. We'd parked in a small village (everything was out of sight though) and when we got back someone had smashed our window, reached in and hit the central unlock button and proceeded to empty the boot of our car, which included the MP.
As the Tour de France was passing through, we suspect that some professionals knew everyone would be up at the main road watching as the riders passed through, allowing them time to empty a few cars.

Bc we were travelling and had moved out of our house, most of our valuable stuff was with us. We'd parked in a small village (everything was out of sight though) and when we got back someone had smashed our window, reached in and hit the central unlock button and proceeded to empty the boot of our car, which included the MP.
As the Tour de France was passing through, we suspect that some professionals knew everyone would be up at the main road watching as the riders passed through, allowing them time to empty a few cars.

Thanks. I am for your stories because it makes others including myself wrist to certain situations and to put more security measures in check [emoji106]

BC eh, years ago we went into Vancouver. We parked in an underground parking lot. We were only gone 15 minutes and they had gone through all our bags in car and trunk (boot), thieves got about $1500 bucks we reported it to police and were told they seen the out of province plates and well... Copper said you could park out front of police station and that would not stop them. Not all Vancouver is like that but we were in the bad part of town. I hope you get it back but likely they will pay 200 for a controller and have themselves a nice quad copter

Mine was in my truck,stupid me door unlocked but in my driveway, out in country didn't give much thought, always keep in house by back door ready to fly. Really kick myself but lesson learned. Bastards

There should be a block based on the serial number. Like, when you report a stolen phone and the cell operators ban the IMEI code (at least in Brazil), DJI should allow you to report a stolen drone and the it blocks the drone from flying or report the location.

Maybe it wouldn't return you drone back, but at least would make thieves to loose interest.

Reactions: Steveyg777
people will just find a way around it, I know I have changed an imei just to see if I could on an apple icrap 3s or s3, I put it back after due to being the imei of my phone thought it could cause issues
Anyway my point is that even if dji had more power alot of people don't want dji to have that access to their drones, and a quick Google and you may be able to find a way to change the sn

I hope you get it back but likely they will pay 200 for a controller and have themselves a nice quad copter

They steal for drugs. They will turn it into cash as fast as possible. They have no interest in anything that doesn't get them high.

Reactions: Zorglub
You've done this to me before where you don't add the rest of what I posted.

Yes, I said "Doesn't work like that anymore". But further expounded to conclude that pawn shops are not totally unregulated as they once were. Thought that would be understood. Guess not.

"Doesn't work like that anymore" wasn't the last thing I said. Was it? Plus if you read the article Buzzy posted you will see thats how the thief was positively identified.

He was ID'd from the pawn shop.

Need more explanation?
I thought "No" meant "No" or was that a qualified No?

Reactions: Mr. Salty
You've done this to me before where you don't add the rest of what I posted.

Yes, I said "Doesn't work like that anymore". But further expounded to conclude that pawn shops are not totally unregulated as they once were. Thought that would be understood. Guess not.

"Doesn't work like that anymore" wasn't the last thing I said. Was it? Plus if you read the article Buzzy posted you will see thats how the thief was positively identified.

He was ID'd from the pawn shop.

Need more explanation?
Advising someone not to bother checking pawn shops because it "doesn't work that way anymore," then attacking me by pointing out Buzzy's example of someone being caught taking stolen goods to a PAWN SHOP does not help your argument.

people will just find a way around it, I know I have changed an imei just to see if I could on an apple icrap 3s or s3, I put it back after due to being the imei of my phone thought it could cause issues
Anyway my point is that even if dji had more power alot of people don't want dji to have that access to their drones, and a quick Google and you may be able to find a way to change the sn

But it could still help to be a deterrent for less clever thieves

Advising someone not to bother checking pawn shops because it "doesn't work that way anymore," then attacking me by pointing out Buzzy's example of someone being caught taking stolen goods to a PAWN SHOP does not help your argument.

To be honest i don't care what, id just try everything for the sake of a chance of tracking it down

Contact DJI. Maybe they can track it if it's paired with the app with a different account.
Me to DJI support :
Is there a way to track the drone ? Because i'm sure it has been stolen after the safe landing.Or is there any way to make useless for the person who stole it ?
Thanks

DJI Support answer :
Thank you for the reply.

We feel sorry for this unfortunate incident.

Based on the flight record, we can see the last location of the aircraft but we cannot track it if someone stole it.

Below is the GPS info about the last point from the flight record.

Liar and a thief can't stand them! Worked hard to earn and save for a toy for me and they take it in my drive way .
I agree with the sentiment about liars and thieves, they go together like legos. Did they break into your vehicle and steal it?
Edit:saw reason.

I hope you catch them. My experience with country life is that if a local took it, word will get out who did it with time.

Last edited:
Yea ears are open, but tomorrow I get her replacement, another 800.00 but I'll be up in the air soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78