DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

STOLEN

Ill be looking into anti theft options for my next truck.

Another option? 🤔

True but if it's a chop shop they look for those I think the pros have a way around it

Reactions: rustysteel
Additionally my insurance has a cap. I am compiling a list of everything lost and so far I am at 4x the cap for replacement cost.

Yes, and also many don't realise over the years you can accumulate so much (often expen$ive) stuff, home owners should reevaluate insured $ values every few years to be sure you are covered fully.

Here in Australia, if this is neglected it's called being underinsured, and it can hurt if you lose a lot, eg house fire.

A simple example . . . if you current home is $200k to have built . . . it is burnt down, needs demolishing, here can cost $50k or so (or more !) for that before rebuilding, and say that total value is $250k . . . if you insure for say $200k, the value of the house alone, they consider you 20% underinsured, so a payout on the $200k policy value is dropped to $160k ($200k - 20%).
Do this with contents of a home under that annex, and it can get very bad fast for homeowners.

Just reminder, if you use a Air Tag or other tracking device, put it under the foam in your case, not in one of the compartments, or they may find it and toss it.

The newer Airtags ARE great, and cheap to place hidden in items, or compared to a dedicated vehicle gps tracker (and ongoing costs).
Works pretty good via ANY 'iDevice in range and with signal that is nearby and picks up the signal, and aren't there enough out there to make this a very attractive option to place with any sort of gear / vehicle !

My drone was stolen out of the backseat of my truck. The thief actually cut a square out of the passenger front window and managed to get into the truck without setting off any alarms. I was pissed to the max. Unfortunately, there was no way to find the drone via GPS. I informed the FAA, but they said there wasn't much they could do, either. It's been over a year, and we haven't seen hide nor hair of the Air 2. Insurance wouldn't replace it as we have a $1000 deductible, though it did replace the window. I hope your news is better.

By the way, I don't keep my drone in the truck anymore.

Most current vehicles have a on-board gps built in. Whether the owners are aware of it or not. Smart thieves will disable it, its normally located above the rear view mirror inside of the headliner. I'd check your model year with a dealership for help. Best of luck.

You know about the tags they sell that have a gps in them they use others cell phones that track there tags. They last a year and use an app the cool thing is stuck with 3m tape between the cab and box of truck out of site. You can track your truck on your phone
Not hooked to car battery so works for a year
Yeah, I remember looking into those about 6 months ago. I really wished I had clicked "buy now"...

You guys mind sharing that tag thingy? I'm a full time RV'er also and if I lost my tow rig i'd be lost as well.

Did you by any chance use an iPad with your controller? If so check your google map history, or find my phone app on the iPad. If either are or were on, it may give you a location, or a map of the path the thieves took when they left. Have you checked to see if anyone around you had a dash cam, or a home or business security cam that may have recorded the theft?
Yes, good thinking!. I have it on but it is not finding it. Guessing that means it is no where near another iphone. Fingers crossed though!

You guys mind sharing that tag thingy? I'm a full time RV'er also and if I lost my tow rig i'd be lost as well.

Reactions: Tufargon
Thanks man!
Only Apple devices DOH! :(
Just buy yourself a cheap iphone to keep handy in case you needed to track something, in case you have android phones. I have one we would sell cheaply, if you wanted to go that route, we just upgraded to new phones.. Just keep it handy in case one day you might need that feature.

Just buy yourself a cheap iphone to keep handy in case you needed to track something, in case you have android phones. I have one we would sell cheaply, if you wanted to go that route, we just upgraded to new phones.. Just keep it handy in case one day you might need that feature.
Appreciate that and definately a thought. At the moment buying another device isn't in the cards so for now we'll just hope that what happened to the OP doesn't happen to us (which most likely won't (knock on wood)).

Thanks man!
Only Apple devices DOH! :(

If a family member is using apple phone (or ipad etc), then you can pair your airtag(s) with their device.
You can list them up as individual items / names, such as Tufargon drone, Tufargon keys, Tufargon wife, and so on.
Any time needed it's just a matter of getting onto the relative to check for you.

This will tell you all about them:

Here you go. You down load an app.
For you phone then if any one walks by with blue tooth on it will ping with items location. The battery lasts a year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220228-002420.png
    Screenshot_20220228-002420.png
    603.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220228-002326.png
    Screenshot_20220228-002326.png
    727.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
You know about the tags they sell that have a gps in them they use others cell phones that track there tags. They last a year and use an app the cool thing is stuck with 3m tape between the cab and box of truck out of site. You can track your truck on your phone
Not hooked to car battery so works for a year
Im only finding ones that work for a week or two. Can you share more info as I am definitely interested?
Thank you,

I had my car stolen right off the street by my house sometime in the night, when I lived in London, many years ago. I know that feeling when you go to where it was parked and there is nothing there. Never did get it back and lost a lot of things in the car, but when I bought my Porsche to replace it, I fitted a special pressure sensitive in-line device which I placed under the car floor mat.

I knew the exact point where it was placed, so all I needed to do was step down on it right at that spot on the floor, while I turned the key, and it created a contact which made my ignition active. If I tried to start the car without pressing on that spot, nothing happened, and it was as if the ignition or electrical system was shut off.

Same thing if anyone tried to short out the system to get the car to start, there was no power going to the ignition, so it was not possible to start. This helped for thieves who would try and start cars and drive them away. However, if they had a tow vehicle to take it away, that would not stop them. Never had another stolen car though, thankfully.

Of course, now that you mention car theft, I suppose it would be worth fitting one of those apple tracking devices on a car, just so you could find out where it went, if stolen. The other thing would be one of those alarms that have cameras all around in the car that also send a message and video to your phone if movement is detected through the sensors, while you are away, as its parked somewhere. That way you can call the cops as you run to it, if you were close.

Thinking about the cost when you have your car, you might think it a little expensive, but once you lose your car, you'd pay out ten times the cost just to have had it fitted. Sorry for your loss and I hope it does get found for you.
Thank you! These are excellent suggestions! My preference would be to prevent the theft in the first place. I agree with your idea and have considered a back up switch for cutting out the fuel pump. For anyone else reading this, I have heard of people rigging something up to the outfitter switches on the superduty fords. Thieves are already on to this as recovered vehicles or botched thefts have people reporting the outfitter switches messed with.
I am considering the tracking tags but not seeing anything that would work long range or lasts more than a few days but ill keep looking.
Thank you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82