DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Storage and Sharing of Videos from Mavic taken in 4K

frogracer

Reactions
Curious how folks are working with all the 4K videos being taken with their Mavic.

I am one that likes to take and store the native full 4K video online (Google Photos) but I do not like the data consumption used to re-watch these videos. I am on the Apple platform, IOS, Sierra, etc. have access to iMovie but have not use it at this time etc.

What are others doing for their basic video workflow / storage and sharing so as not to gobble up significant mobile data use on sharing the videos with family and friends? Do you downsize them? If so, to what resolution, where do you share from - google, photos, youtube, dropbox etc.

Thanks for you input,

Reactions: chrismorace
Hard drives are cheap... Add a few dedicated drives for footage.

My computer has dual 500G SSD drives. I will prob ad some multi terabit mechanical drive for footage storage. And use an empty partion on one of my SSD's to edit.

I would never store them in the cloud especially if data consumption is a concern.

slr001,

Thanks for you input. Can you expand on how you go about editing your videos and then "downsizing" for sharing on the internet?

Regards,

Thanks for you input. Can you expand on how you go about editing your videos and then "downsizing" for sharing on the internet?

Not wanting to use cloud to re-watch is understandable. But you probably don't want to be cheap with data when it comes to uploading. Youtube is the most straightforward way to 'downsize' your videos and make it easy to share with anyone. Youtube alone makes the quality worse, though. If you start by downsizing before even the video gets there, it will be way worse. So just upload it to a video sharing site, bite the bullet on one upload per video.

Personally I store all my flying on a Qnap TS-669 Pro (6 x 3 TB, RAID-5).

I edit all my footage on a 4K timeline in Premiere Pro then output using Media Encoder to a 1080p format. I then upload the 1080 to Youtube or Facebook. I always have the 4K timeline that I can go back to in case I want to output 4K footage.

Reactions: frogracer
Curious how folks are working with all the 4K videos being taken with their Mavic.

I am one that likes to take and store the native full 4K video online (Google Photos) but I do not like the data consumption used to re-watch these videos. I am on the Apple platform, IOS, Sierra, etc. have access to iMovie but have not use it at this time etc.

What are others doing for their basic video workflow / storage and sharing so as not to gobble up significant mobile data use on sharing the videos with family and friends? Do you downsize them? If so, to what resolution, where do you share from - google, photos, youtube, dropbox etc.

Thanks for you input,

We just launched an app called Dragonfly to help with the non-professional workflow. After a flight you can launch the app which will transfer the video straight to the phone without removing the SD card and then transfer to the cloud over Wifi the next time your phone connects. This is best for small files. For larger files or a whole collection there is a web uploader that you can drag the files onto and then they just upload. That way you don't need to keep copies on your own hardware. The original files are always accessible for download, but the app automatically makes lighter weight versions that you can view in the mobile app. Also makes it easy to share without having to force someone to download a giant file.

It's free to try and you get 10 GB of free space so you can check it out (and until the end of July you get entered into a sweepstakes to win a free Spark!) It might be a good option for you. We're working on an app that will stream your collection of 4K videos to your TV as well. :)

I have started to accumulate a lot of video footage that takes up a lot of space even when edited into smaller formats.4k video creates huge files that can fill up a hard drive really quickly. The new Crystal Sky Monitors have two micro SD card slots for storage and editing directly on the device itself. I have 2 32gig cards in this unit plus a 32gig in the drone itself but my back up for everything is a Western Digital My Passport 2 terabyte wireless pro 10 hour battery life for in the field use a built in SD card reader for instant transfer of any card directly to the drive or "I think" haven't tried it, you can wirelessly transfer the files directly from the crystal Sky

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett