DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Storing Batteries on Unplugged Charging Hub?

buzz96

Reactions
Is there any reason I should avoid using the charging hub - UNPLUGGED - as a way to keep all three of my MA2 batteries together? Yes, I could use the case or any number of other methods, but is there anything detrimental about just leaving them attached to the unpowered hub until I'm ready to pack them up and go fly?

it shouldn't make any difference ,just remember that after 24 hours they discharge slightly down to 96% i believe that in order to top them up back to 100% requires them to be discharged below 95% before they will start charging

Understood - but they're going to do that whether they're on the unplugged hub or not. My thinking is that having them on the hub makes it easier for me to top them off if I want to before I pack them up. Thanks for the reply!

But don’t forget what @old man mavic said, if it’s more than 24hrs since charging they’ll discharge to 96%, but won’t recharge until they’re taken below 95%. Hence you’ll have to take them off to use the power bank adapter anyway.

Will they just stay at 96% until they reach the 10-day auto-discharge point? I assumed (yeah, yeah - I know) they'd continue to discharge, albeit slowly, and would likely drop below that 95% level before I was ready to top them off. Regardless, I get plenty of flying out of three 96% batteries.

Will they just stay at 96% until they reach the 10-day auto-discharge point? I assumed (yeah, yeah - I know) they'd continue to discharge, albeit slowly, and would likely drop below that 95% level before I was ready to top them off. Regardless, I get plenty of flying out of three 96% batteries.
if you are content to fly with 96% then thats your choice, and yes they do stay pretty much at 96% till the discharge time is reached ,just for fun check the voltage reading in the app for a 100% battery, and one at 96% and see what the difference is

Reactions: itsneedtokno
It’s 5 days when they discharge further to 60%

There is always a slow leak with LiPo in addition to the scheduled drain. It is recommended you do the drain at 5 days not 10. Keeping a LiPo at full charge or low charge(<3 volts) for too long causes lithium oxidation and degeneration of the batt. Also consider storing in fireproof container or bag as they(LiPo) are prone to conflagration. Never charge unsupervised.

Reactions: wjkrysak
There is always a slow leak with LiPo in addition to the scheduled drain. It is recommended you do the drain at 5 days not 10. Keeping a LiPo at full charge or low charge(<3 volts) for too long causes lithium oxidation and degeneration of the batt. Also consider storing in fireproof container or bag as they(LiPo) are prone to conflagration. Never charge unsupervised.
As I said, the MA2 discharges to 60% after 5 days, this is not configurable

Reactions: kidroc
it shouldn't make any difference ,just remember that after 24 hours they discharge slightly down to 96% i believe that in order to top them up back to 100% requires them to be discharged below 95% before they will start charging
Correct, unfortunately! :(

I was surprised to see that if you left them on the charger with it unplugged that if you plugged it back in they will not charge until you lift each one and put them back on.

Reactions: buzz96
As I said, the MA2 discharges to 60% after 5 days, this is not configurable
Seems like I remember reading somewhere that the latest firmware changed that to 2 days.

I still set my batteries too discharge at 5 days. There are times when I prefer to fly every couple of days but I don't let more than 4 days go by and not get my drone up at least to practice. The update sets two days as the default and that does not work for me.

WDK

I still set my batteries too discharge at 5 days. There are times when I prefer to fly every couple of days but I don't let more than 4 days go by and not get my drone up at least to practice. The update sets two days as the default and that does not work for me.

WDK
Just in case Mavic Air 2 owners are reading this (in the Mavic Air 2 Discussion thread), the option to change when the discharge takes place is not an option for the Mavic Air 2

Reactions: Lionfish and buzz96
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum