DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Storing the Mavic Air 2

Yaros

Reactions
Hello, I bought my Mavic air 2 around 4 months ago and I really enjoy flying it. But one question I had from the start is - what is the best way of storing to avoid stress cracks, etc...
These 4 months I store it unfolded on my shelf, together with the controller and batteries, when I want to fly it (which I do every 2 - 3 days) I fold it and put the gimbal guard on, then pack it in the fly more combo bag, after flying, I again unfold it and leave it on the shelf.

Is this a good way of storing/using it, or would you recommend something else?
Around how many folds/unfolds can the frame hold before developing some kind of issue?

@Yaros the arms are designed to fold/unfold and can do so many many times,its how you do that process that can lead to damage,do it carefully dont just yank out the arms or let them go before they reach the stops
actually what you are doing by unfolding to sit on your shelf ,and then folding up to take out ,is actually if you think about it ,adding to the number of fold/ unfolds that you end up doing

Hello, I bought my Mavic air 2 around 4 months ago and I really enjoy flying it. But one question I had from the start is - what is the best way of storing to avoid stress cracks, etc...
These 4 months I store it unfolded on my shelf, together with the controller and batteries, when I want to fly it (which I do every 2 - 3 days) I fold it and put the gimbal guard on, then pack it in the fly more combo bag, after flying, I again unfold it and leave it on the shelf.

Is this a good way of storing/using it, or would you recommend something else?
Around how many folds/unfolds can the frame hold before developing some kind of issue?
Ha that's opposite like how I have things too,,always out the box ready,,,now I got a softcase for the SE its pain to pack up,,,it will last till something gives up,,I do fold them out nice though,you would have to sit folding them all day to get that answer,,they do seem durable but me a newbie to these

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Yaros
When I'm not flying, or in transit to do so, I store my drones in my Apache Universal Storage cases. The 4800 model is larger, and more versatile, than most of the custom offerings, and a bit cheaper, too.
I made a "Catch-All" compartment (pictured under the propeller boxes) that holds A TON of accessories, and, I pillaged a rigid, foam, tablet frame, and, an adhesive foam lid liner, from a Symik Dual Layer Mini 2 case, so I can store my iPad, and sunhood, above everything else, safely. I highly suggest these cases.

Attachments

• 20211022_113349.jpg
    20211022_113349.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 20211101_215043.jpg
    20211101_215043.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20211022_113307.jpg
    20211022_113307.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20211022_075938.jpg
    20211022_075938.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • FB_IMG_1639321703503.jpg
    FB_IMG_1639321703503.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 25
Always stored mine in case. I will, however, let the drone sit on a shelf a few days, to dry out, if I suspect any condensation. More so in the winter. On folding and unfolding, I do it all the time. When you think about though-nothing lasts forever...

I have 2 custom fit Lykus cases for both of my DJI drones. I take them when I go off-road and it keeps them dust free from the trips and prevents them getting banged around or any liquids from getting on them from spilled drinks, etc. I throw some silica gel packs in for good measure to prevent moisture damage, even living in a pretty dry climate. I never leave mine out of the cases for very long (aside from flying, updating or cleaning) to prevent dust buildup or intrusion. I'm always mindful to unfold the props before taking off, gently unfold and fold the arms (never let them "snap" into place), and never insert batteries with the drone supporting the load against a surface. I haven't had stress cracks as others have had, not saying they do anything wrong, but (knock on wood) I haven't had an issue. I use the flymore bags to take any other equipment with me or to "pack light" as the hard cases are bulky. A good case is cheap insurance compared to the cost of a new setup. Here's the case for my MA2.

Attachments

• 20210306_102739.jpg
    20210306_102739.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots