DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange drifting / lack of acceleration

RedPhoenix

Reactions
Hello all,

I've seen a problem a few times now that I dont understand and wondered if any of you can assist me in diagnosing the issue. The latest flight I saw this on was this morning - and I have all the flight data.

For reference the winds were minimal this morning (4-8 mph), the IMU and Compass said normal. I had done auto gimbal calibration also. I have also done an RC calibration to rule this out. My camera was pointed downwards, and when moving forward despite the right joystick being pushed fully forward, I was drifting to the right and at very low speed. When I put the gimbal to face forward, it started moving in a straight-line forward and more at the pace I'd expect from the stick being pushed fully forward.

This issue has occurred a few times now and the drifting worries me. I had 26 satellites locked, full RC signal, and was only 161m away at 108m height. Happy to upload flight logs if someone can tell me how to do it.

Thanks all

If this feeling of drift ... or "crabbing" is consistent, it may very well be due to that the camera doesn't point exactly in the same direction as the craft flies.

I experienced this with my Mavic Air 1 & had to manually adjust the result of the gimbal calibration a couple degrees for the yaw axis in the GO4 app.

It's harder to see if the gimbal yaw is slightly misaligned compared to the roll axis as with roll you easily see that the horizon is tilted ...

When flying with the gimbal at 0 degrees pitch it's harder to notice the crabbing ... but if you aim at a object in a distance & fly towards it & the object is going to the side this with the gimbal yaw is the reason. Pointing the gimbal straight down makes it more noticeable. See if you can adjust the gimbal yaw a couple degrees in the FLY app.

1615977175435.png

Reactions: shaneb50
This issue has occurred a few times now and the drifting worries me.
This is a "feature" added by DJI only a few months ago.
No-one really knows why.
Bring the camera up and things go back to normal.
The drifting was probably an illusion and didn't really happen.

This is a "feature" added by DJI only a few months ago.
No-one really knows why.
Bring the camera up and things go back to normal.
The drifting was probably an illusion and didn't really happen.
When I look at the flight data centre and watch the replay - i see the mini 2 moving to the right despite the fact I was pushing forward. It definitely drifted right quite noticeably.

When I look at the flight data centre and watch the replay - i see the mini 2 moving to the right despite the fact I was pushing forward. It definitely drifted right quite noticeably.
It's a pitty that we can't read the DAT logs from the Mini2's ... would have been interesting to see how much the IMU yaw & the compass deviates & how well the last compass calibration went.

If the deviation is on the larger side it can also cause crabbing in flight ... have you tried to re-calibrate the compass?

Something similar happened to me. I'm at the current firmware release for my mini 2.

I noticed the drifting to the right and put it down to some wind. It was gusting at about 20 mph. I kept the left stick to the left to correct and was able to proceed, but on the way back to the homepoint it wouldn't move forward. I did have the gimbal pointing down at that time. I descended to about 50 feet and was able to move forward, but the stick didn't feel right. I felt like I was fighting to keep it moving forward.

Hope this helps.

Don't know if this in the manual could cause this ... we have already seen cases here at the forum where Mini2's have been pushed around by relatively mild winds & the function described haven't been disabled.

1616000563191.png

Reactions: teeroy
I also have the same problem as well. I have done a complete calibration and updates. Hopefully this will get worked out or fixed soon. I just tell my self to make sure I keep a eye on my drone when flying.[emoji106]

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure