DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange No Fly Zone behavior

Jack Daw

Reactions
This afternoon I took off, as I've done dozens of times before, from the street in front of my house. This evening, when I went out to fly again, both DJI Go and Litchi told me I was in a no-fly zone and wouldn't let me take off. Is it possible that the airspace was restricted, quickly and temporarily, because of some visiting VIP? Could that have been sent out in real time through the program? As far as I can tell, nothing else has changed, so I don't know what could've caused this. Anyone have any ideas?

This afternoon I took off, as I've done dozens of times before, from the street in front of my house. This evening, when I went out to fly again, both DJI Go and Litchi told me I was in a no-fly zone and wouldn't let me take off. Is it possible that the airspace was restricted, quickly and temporarily, because of some visiting VIP? Could that have been sent out in real time through the program? As far as I can tell, nothing else has changed, so I don't know what could've caused this. Anyone have any ideas?
And this happened where?

I just solved it. It happened in Austin, Texas – where there's a big college football game tonight. The stadium is a mile or two from my house. Interesting that they can institute a no-fly zone on the fly like that. I wonder how they do it: through DJI (though that wouldn't account for Litchi having the same issue)? Can they update the database and pump it out to everybody that quickly? Or is the stadium's schedule somehow built into the database?

I just solved it. It happened in Austin, Texas – where there's a big college football game tonight. The stadium is a mile or two from my house. Interesting that they can institute a no-fly zone on the fly like that. I wonder how they do it: through DJI (though that wouldn't account for Litchi having the same issue)? Can they update the database and pump it out to everybody that quickly? Or is the stadium's schedule somehow built into the database?
I have seen a few posts where people near some of the fires in CA. had this happen to them.

They're not jamming frequencies: it says on the DJI GO screen that I'm in a NFZ. They must send a signal to the software somehow. Though, even more oddly, it happened even though I had my tablet in airplane mode.

Yeah I think they can update the NFZ fairly quickly. There was a poster a short while back that was all of a sudden in a NFZ and he found out the prez was about 5 miles away.

Reactions: Jack Daw
It's just updated the new Flyer database today and many restrictions enhanced areas appeared. TFR will appear if any football game near a Stadium. I did tried asked for Authorization with SMS and it's allowed take off. I only tried it at home but didn't fly it. Use the Airdata App will inform you that too.

They're not jamming frequencies: it says on the DJI GO screen that I'm in a NFZ. They must send a signal to the software somehow. Though, even more oddly, it happened even though I had my tablet in airplane mode.
I had that happen to me as well at my house when trump came to N.J. to the golf course. My house is plenty far away but when he comes there they put out a temporary no fly zone I think like 50 miles from the golf course. Like what someone else mentioned I was able to put my phone number in and get the restriction removed to be able to fly. They definitely send it some way but not sure how.

Just check your Fly Safe GEO ZONE MAP. New blue Authorization Zones and gray Altitude Zones added on my area. No more fun now. You need a valid SMS text phone number to get authorization. Google Voice numbers don't work lol

Last edited:
I had that happen to me as well at my house when trump came to N.J. to the golf course. My house is plenty far away but when he comes there they put out a temporary no fly zone I think like 50 miles from the golf course. Like what someone else mentioned I was able to put my phone number in and get the restriction removed to be able to fly. They definitely send it some way but not sure how.
Yep, I experienced this too not that long ago when he was here in Phoenix, pretty much the entire county including all suburbs where a NFZ.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman