DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange yawl movements on launch

Babbe

Reactions
I have been flying my Mavic Pro now for several months with no issues. This past Thursday, I updated to new firmware, checked IMU calibration and calibrated compass. I used the DJI launch sequence and checked the box to allow Mavic to rise 20 feet and establish good picture of RTH. It ascended normally but at the 20 foot level it started to yawl left and right in a jerky motion without me touching the controls. I descended and tried again and got the same result. I moved to a different location about 50 feet away, shut everything down and then tried again. I made sure to allow gps to turn green as I did before and I had 15 satellites. This time, it rose to the 20 foot level and behaved perfectly. I flew with no issues the rest of the day. I saw no warnings on ascending the first two times other than WiFi interference which I always get as I use a iPad and have my phone in my pocket. Do you think the that IMU might not have fully initialized the first two times? After restarting, I allowed plenty of time for everything to settle in and all worked well. I watched the flight records for the first two attempts and you can see the jerking circular motions without any use of the controls other than me bringing the drone back down. The second time, I tried the left stick yawl control for a few seconds but it seemed to have no effect. I am curious what I might have done wrong. Thanks.

Last edited:
WiFi interference perhaps?

WiFi interference perhaps?
I mean, interference can make your drone behave like something else is controlling it. I have been flying in a build up neighbourhood and my Inspire just didn't listen to my RC other than up and down. The rest was disturbed/controlled by signals coming from the many wifi home routers. (landed immediately of course). 100m away it was all ok again.
You say you moved to a different location and it went away. I think there's the answer.
The fact that the GO app shows "Wireless Interference" every time doesn't help much in determining if there's real interference.

Calibrate the sticks correct and slow
Since it wasn't behaving like that all the time it must have been something else. A bad stick calibration would show the same behaviour in every flight .

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird