DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe light on Macic 2 Pro

I put two ARC II's on the front arms and one on the butt of my M2P.
I use small pieces of 3M Dual Lock tape.
No problems shooting stills or video and it really helps with visibility...a lot!

Reactions: Thomas B
I've been following these threads about strobe lights. I must admit I have a great deal of trouble following my Mavic Air by VLOS and often just let it go out of sight for a bit longer if the situation (scenery, etc.) warrant's a better shot. But I really like the idea of a flashing white bright strobe to help me follow it a longer way than my sight can do. I only want white and lightweight enough to not impede the Mavic Air, and easy to install. What do you all recommend?
I have the same problem, look down and it's hard to find again. I bought a flashing strobe a couple years ago to be able to locate a Mavic Pro when visually misplaced. It was not bright enough. It is still in the picture on top of the M2. I bought two Firehouse lights from Amazon.

I had already been using a velcro strap around the battery, and they are stuck on the sides with velcro. The problem with a top mounted strobe is it can't easily be seen from the ground. They meet the night regulation, but the this strobe is 1st for me and in daylight.
At 399 feet AGL , and 800 feet out, I could still find my M2 in full sunlight. Against blue sky or foilage, within 15-20 seconds. I'm not scanning the whole sky, I have a reasonable idea where to look. To make that easier, I rotate the M2 with one side towards me. That's easy using the map orientation.

There is another Firehouse model with 3 strobes, it was more expensive. To do it again, I'd get that one.

DSC01868.jpgDSC01883.jpgDSC01885.jpg

Reactions: PAW and Rangerider
My top mounted led strobe setup.....

View attachment 77338

Mounting clip from PGYTech

LED Set from Firehouse Technology

LED Mount from Aerial-pixel

Note that the PGYTech mounting clip covers the front edge of the battery which helps ensure the battery is seated properly and makes it less likely to release in flight.
This may increase your drag coefficient! Putting 3 of these on the bird?

So let me get this straight- you mounted the strobe where? Mine is on order ( white-4-light-see photo) and coming from Amazon tomorrow. Can I mount it on my Mavic Air underneath where I can really see it in the daylight?77474

I have the same problem, look down and it's hard to find again. I bought a flashing strobe a couple years ago to be able to locate a Mavic Pro when visually misplaced. It was not bright enough. It is still in the picture on top of the M2. I bought two Firehouse lights from Amazon.

I had already been using a velcro strap around the battery, and they are stuck on the sides with velcro. The problem with a top mounted strobe is it can't easily be seen from the ground. They meet the night regulation, but the this strobe is 1st for me and in daylight.
At 399 feet AGL , and 800 feet out, I could still find my M2 in full sunlight. Against blue sky or foilage, within 15-20 seconds. I'm not scanning the whole sky, I have a reasonable idea where to look. To make that easier, I rotate the M2 with one side towards me. That's easy using the map orientation.

There is another Firehouse model with 3 strobes, it was more expensive. To do it again, I'd get that one.

View attachment 77471View attachment 77472View attachment 77473
I like the velcro strap idea. Even though it looks ugly.

I don't understand why DJI knowing this is a really good safety idea hasn't already installed position lights on the Mavic 2? Seems like it would be an easy thing for them since they already have leds in the legs to put some high intensity strobes on the M2 and allow software to enable the lights when desired. Make it an add on extra if needed for cost increases.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Today I received my set of three Firehouse Tech ARC II strobe units--1 red, 1 green, 1 white (4 LEDs per unit) for 95.99 USD. We'll test them Sat July 13 in San Francisco, hoping to extend VLOS during daylight. We will post the results.
I’ve been flying with the Arc II for the past year... amazing daylight visibility on strobe, and excellent positional awareness at night on the long flash. Love them!C1126990-78D9-40C5-A81F-4B1137940E9E.jpeg

I don't understand why DJI knowing this is a really good safety idea hasn't already installed position lights on the Mavic 2? Seems like it would be an easy thing for them since they already have leds in the legs to put some high intensity strobes on the M2 and allow software to enable the lights when desired. Make it an add on extra if needed for cost increases.
The Night Light has only been in force ~ 6 or 8 weeks.

Take a look at the Lume Cube Strobe - Strobe - Anti-Collision Lighting for Drones
Personally I would prefer something like the Lume Strobe, which is way more compact, with a lot better aerodynamic characteristics. Weighs in at a WHOPPING 10gms as well!
I was all set to buy one a couple of weeks back for my M2P. Got mightily put off by exorbitant postage from the US to NZ - $US90 for a total package weight around 270gms. Lume was not prepared to negotiate a better rate, even after I fed back to them that in the same few days I had a UAV airframe plus accessories weighing 4.76kg air freighted from China for only $US95!
Happy flying to all DJI and Yuneec pilots.

Reactions: NoScreenNamesLeft
Take a look at the Lume Cube Strobe - Strobe - Anti-Collision Lighting for Drones
Personally I would prefer something like the Lume Strobe, which is way more compact, with a lot better aerodynamic characteristics. Weighs in at a WHOPPING 10gms as well!

Probably good for Anti-Collision on top of most drones. But that spot is not great for VLOS help unless flying below you. With the M2 there is no place to mount on underneath or on the side.

What Night Light are you referring to?
The anti-collision strobe. Grabbed text below from Lume Cube's website, too tired to search the subject!

The Strobe was designed to be as lightweight and powerful as possible to satisfy all FAA guidelines for anti-collision lighting to keep your drone buzzing well past the sunset and into the dark. The Strobe is visible from 3+ miles away, can flash white, red, or green.

Probably good for Anti-Collision on top of most drones. But that spot is not great for VLOS help unless flying below you.

Hmmmm... I don't have any problem seeing my top mounted LEDs from below unless my Mavic 2 is nearby (ie. almost directly overhead). If nearby I can turn on the "landing lights".

Side note:
Here in Canada the navigation & anti-collision lights are required for night flights.

Hmmmm... I don't have any problem seeing my top mounted LEDs from below unless my Mavic 2 is nearby (ie. almost directly overhead). If nearby I can turn on the "landing lights".

Side note:
Here in Canada the navigation & anti-collision lights are required for night flights.

Would you share a picture of you setup?

Today I received my set of three Firehouse Tech ARC II strobe units--1 red, 1 green, 1 white (4 LEDs per unit) for 95.99 USD. We'll test them Sat July 13 in San Francisco, hoping to extend VLOS during daylight. We will post the results.

Just got back from San Francisco, where I tried out my new Firehouse Tech ARC II strobe units. Tested them over SF Bay with clear skies. The results:

8:45 PM: visible to much further than I dared fly;
7:00 PM: visible at 1/2 mile;

1:00 PM: visible at 1,000 feet.

Temperature was fairly near the dew point. In less humid air, visibility may be better. Firehouse Tech claims that at dawn and twilight ARC IIs can be seen at over 3 miles. I believe them.

My interest in lighting is not for night flying, but for extending VLOS. I'd like to fly 2 miles during golden hours
(good luck). I'm curious about the white 1,500 lumen LumeCube. If I buy one, I may make an aerodynamic "nose cone" out of styrofoam and top-mount it at the CG.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout