DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe light on Macic 2 Pro

Just got back from San Francisco, where I tried out my new Firehouse Tech ARC II strobe units. Tested them over SF Bay with clear skies. The results:

8:45 PM: visible to much further than I dared fly;
7:00 PM: visible at 1/2 mile;

1:00 PM: visible at 1,000 feet.

Temperature was fairly near the dew point. In less humid air, visibility may be better. Firehouse Tech claims that at dawn and twilight ARC IIs can be seen at over 3 miles. I believe them.

My interest in lighting is not for night flying, but for extending VLOS. I'd like to fly 2 miles during golden hours
(good luck). I'm curious about the white 1,500 lumen LumeCube. If I buy one, I may make an aerodynamic "nose cone" out of styrofoam and top-mount it at the CG.
I bought the strobe light for bicycles approx USD 5-10. Used 3M velcro and can mount it on top of my MA (not visible very well unless far out) or bottom (velcro at battery). Works very well but I guess can't reach 3 miles. IMG_20190718_173240.jpeg

I use 4 Strobon Cree lights, two white, one red and one green. I have them configured like boat running lights with the two white strobes to the rear, the red port side front and the green starboard side front. The red and green help me determine the orientation of the drone without FPV and are very useful for return and landing which I prefer to do visually rather than with FPV.

That said there is a distance limitation on seeing these things in bright daylight. For twilight flights they work like a charm.

I tried the lume cubes. I had no problem with mounting which seems to be a common complaint. They do cut into handling and flight time and I only use them to illuminate a subject at twilight as well as for non-drone photography.

---Bob

I’m not selling anything, I’m just saying, I use strobes for increased VLOS from flytron that are or were only 13. Dollars US, and are rechargeable, for me they’ve worked quite well for me! And the same colors as well! Not to mention they are incredibly lightweight and doesn’t really affect flight time at all!

Reactions: Hauptmann
Dale, try the Scotch Lock Velcro... it’s Awesome and very light weight. Holds the lights on drone very secure. Just cut pieces of it to match the size of the light and attach 1 piece to the light, and 1 piece to the surface of the drone where you want it mounted. Works like a charm. Good luck! ?? ?
Agree.....Velcro works fine on mine MP.

Reactions: Xavier Truth
I have the same problem, look down and it's hard to find again. I bought a flashing strobe a couple years ago to be able to locate a Mavic Pro when visually misplaced. It was not bright enough. It is still in the picture on top of the M2. I bought two Firehouse lights from Amazon.

I had already been using a velcro strap around the battery, and they are stuck on the sides with velcro. The problem with a top mounted strobe is it can't easily be seen from the ground. They meet the night regulation, but the this strobe is 1st for me and in daylight.
At 399 feet AGL , and 800 feet out, I could still find my M2 in full sunlight. Against blue sky or foilage, within 15-20 seconds. I'm not scanning the whole sky, I have a reasonable idea where to look. To make that easier, I rotate the M2 with one side towards me. That's easy using the map orientation.

There is another Firehouse model with 3 strobes, it was more expensive. To do it again, I'd get that one.

View attachment 77471View attachment 77472View attachment 77473
I like those leg extensions. Where did you get those please? Any problems with stress on the rear legs as the craft is designed to land on the two small protuberances at the bottom of the aft fuselage? The rear leg bottoms appear to be designed as tip-prevention only as far as I can tell.

I’ve been flying with the Arc II for the past year... amazing daylight visibility on strobe, and excellent positional awareness at night on the long flash. Love them!View attachment 77483
How about those light holders? Are those from Firehouse also? Are they removable after each flight?

Reactions: Ex Coelis
I like those leg extensions. Where did you get those please? Any problems with stress on the rear legs as the craft is designed to land on the two small protuberances at the bottom of the aft fuselage? The rear leg bottoms appear to be designed as tip-prevention only as far as I can tell.
I bought it in a drone shop but u get it at amazon too. Good for rough terrain. Quality is good. Dji sells it too but for higher price. Pgytech belongs somehow to dji I heard.

I bought it in a drone shop but u get it at amazon too. Good for rough terrain. Quality is good. Dji sells it too but for higher price. Pgytech belongs somehow to dji I heard.
Great thanks. I would need these for the M2P: Amazon.com: PGYTECH Extended Landing Gear for DJI Mavic 2 pro/Zoom Support Protector Extension Replacement Fit for DJI Mavic 2 Accessories: Toys & Games

Reactions: Rangerider
I love my 3 white arc 's they are awesome super light weight and crazy bright ....i have one on each front arm of mavic 2 zoom and one in between the back sensors on very back of drone . Doesnt interfere and light placement is great for front or back orientation

Reactions: Rangerider
I have the same problem, look down and it's hard to find again. I bought a flashing strobe a couple years ago to be able to locate a Mavic Pro when visually misplaced. It was not bright enough. It is still in the picture on top of the M2. I bought two Firehouse lights from Amazon.

I had already been using a velcro strap around the battery, and they are stuck on the sides with velcro. The problem with a top mounted strobe is it can't easily be seen from the ground. They meet the night regulation, but the this strobe is 1st for me and in daylight.
At 399 feet AGL , and 800 feet out, I could still find my M2 in full sunlight. Against blue sky or foilage, within 15-20 seconds. I'm not scanning the whole sky, I have a reasonable idea where to look. To make that easier, I rotate the M2 with one side towards me. That's easy using the map orientation.

There is another Firehouse model with 3 strobes, it was more expensive. To do it again, I'd get that one.

View attachment 77471View attachment 77472View attachment 77473
Doesn't the velcro band block some sensors on the bottom or the light?

Reactions: Deleted member 3792
I have had all my visibility and orientation problems solved by using Firehouse ARC2 strobes (4 LEDs each). I use one white on each rear arm facing rearward plus one on each front leg facing forward (a red and green in aircraft fashion). They are giving me 3-4 hrs on a charge. Visibility is about a mile for me at dusk and about 2/3 mile midday with my tired old eyes. I use the mounts from our own ..no interference with the camera even in the dark...@Aerial-Pixel
A9ADDA22-7373-41A2-A524-17F87BFB2C2B.jpeg

I have had all my visibility and orientation problems solved by using Firehouse ARC2 strobes (4 LEDs each). I use one white on each rear arm facing rearward plus one on each front leg facing forward (a red and green in aircraft fashion). They are giving me 3-4 hrs on a charge. Visibility is about a mile for me at dusk and about 2/3 mile midday with my tired old eyes. I use the mounts from our own @Aerial-Pixel
I have the same setup plus I had him make two fronts that angle the red and green out at 45 degree angles. Makes it a little easier to see orientation from the side.

I have the same setup plus I had him make two fronts that angle the red and green out at 45 degree angles. Makes it a little easier to see orientation from the side.
Forgot to mention that I had mine made in the clear {opaque}. That also spreads the light out to the side.

How about those light holders? Are those from Firehouse also? Are they removable after each flight?
Sorry for the late reply; been away on a wilderness trip...
They’re from Aerial Pixel, and yes, the ones on the arms are removable for folding. The rear one is cut flush to mount with double sided tape and stays on permanently.
I had my strobes mounted with Velcro before, but I much prefer these solid mounts!

Hi
No weight problems?
Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom