DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe Placement Mavic Pro

MrMavic

Reactions
I did search for this, but for some reason came up with no results. Any way, where's the best place to stick the strobe on a Mavic pro?

I velcro'ed a cree strobe on the front underside behind the camera gimbal. helps me spot it in the distance

Interesting, that was my first choice too, just haven't put it on yet. I don't see anything there it would interfere with.

Behind the gimble, on that angled flat spot on the body looks like a really great place to put a strobe. However, I'm betting a dollar to a doughnut it will interfere with photography when the camera points straight down. I put mine on the rear flat that is angled slightly down.

Reactions: badaxed and Rich55
Behind the gimble, on that angled flat spot on the body looks like a really great place to put a strobe. However, I'm betting a dollar to a doughnut it will interfere with photography when the camera points straight down. I put mine on the rear flat that is angled slightly down.
Hmmmm, yeah. I wasn't even thinking about it interfering with the camera at 90 degrees. Thanks for the heads up.

I put mine behind the gimble. The only thing you have to watch is getting it too close to the gimble, as I did. Makes it tricky to get the gimble cover off.

Reactions: MrMavic
Interesting, that was my first choice too, just haven't put it on yet. I don't see anything there it would interfere with.
Am interested to know if this location would interfere with your photography. I mounted one on the right rear arm of a M 2 Pro and had no flashing appearing in still or video photography.

I haven't noticed it , even pointing straight down. Easy enough to check - try that location and see for yourself, if it does then go to another location.

Please help. I'm a newbie in the drone world and want to do it correctly I received a mavic pro as a gift since I could never afford to buy one, my question is how do I register it I live in a very rural area of N. E. Alabama and we are prone to tornados what I would like to do is use it to survay damage and also for SAR so which FAA part should I register under since I will be flying over people I'm confused any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_3749.JPG
I put the Cree single white strobes on each side of extended rear landing gear. Works pretty well.

Reactions: MrMavic
Please help. I'm a newbie in the drone world and want to do it correctly I received a mavic pro as a gift since I could never afford to buy one, my question is how do I register it I live in a very rural area of N. E. Alabama and we are prone to tornados what I would like to do is use it to survay damage and also for SAR so which FAA part should I register under since I will be flying over people I'm confused any help is greatly appreciated.
You might get more responses if you start a new post on this in General

Can you see it from all angles?

I can. Being on both sides and below the aircraft enough they can be seen. I only use them at night but they are definitely bright enough. With both white, the don’t help orientation too well so I still look for the red lights on the front legs or use Lume Cubes.

I can. Being on both sides and below the aircraft enough they can be seen. I only use them at night but they are definitely bright enough. With both white, the don’t help orientation too well so I still look for the red lights on the front legs or use Lume Cubes.
Awesome, thanks

Allow me some thoughts on the general location of the strobes.
You should really try to have 3 of them arranged in a triangle configuration much like any typical aircraft. But keep this in mind the strobes on a typical plane are absolutely no advantage to the pilot of that plane, they can't see the strobes on their plane they are there for other pilots to see. For drones however the purpose of adding strobes is completely reversed they are there for the pilot (you) to see.
Here is why setting them in a triangular pattern can be a benefit.
You can easily determine a fairly reasonable orientation of the drone in flight.
If you see only a white strobe the drone is most likely facing mostly away from your line of sight.
If you can see a red and white strobe the drone is most likely orientated to your left, likewise a green and white suggests your drone is facing to your right. And lastly a red & green most likely facing toward you the pilot.

Having this indication even in a minimal situation can give you enough information to add a control input and make a solid evaluation of your correction and the drones relative heading to your position.
Triangulate your lights and understand the light patterns to understand your drone's relative heading when you lose the drone's orientation.
mikemoose55

Allow me some thoughts on the general location of the strobes.
You should really try to have 3 of them arranged in a triangle configuration much like any typical aircraft. But keep this in mind the strobes on a typical plane are absolutely no advantage to the pilot of that plane, they can't see the strobes on their plane they are there for other pilots to see. For drones however the purpose of adding strobes is completely reversed they are there for the pilot (you) to see.
Here is why setting them in a triangular pattern can be a benefit.
You can easily determine a fairly reasonable orientation of the drone in flight.
If you see only a white strobe the drone is most likely facing mostly away from your line of sight.
If you can see a red and white strobe the drone is most likely orientated to your left, likewise a green and white suggests your drone is facing to your right. And lastly a red & green most likely facing toward you the pilot.

Having this indication even in a minimal situation can give you enough information to add a control input and make a solid evaluation of your correction and the drones relative heading to your position.
Triangulate your lights and understand the light patterns to understand your drone's relative heading when you lose the drone's orientation.
mikemoose55

The question is were to place this triangulate lights? On a mavic pro

If you buy into the triangle vision thing then somewhere very close to the motor pods up front and on the back side, the butt of the drone, for the white.

I am kind of surprised someone has not designed a mounting device to offer a mounting on the front legs.
On our MP the front strobes are located on the front side of the front arms because it allows us to fold and store the drone without removing the strobes.
Ideally I would put them on the back side of front arms at the the motor pod but that would not allow folding the drone without removing the strobe first.
If you are concerned about strobe flash in your camera then why not simply make a simple little shield you can stick to the strobe device itself to directionally block the flash in the direction of the camera

1551102315039.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks