DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe Placement on Mini 2 and Potential to Damage Engines if Placed on Battery Door???

Solution: Use more than one strobe.
I don't know how I ended up quoting myself. It was supposed to be a reply to @BigAl07 .

I won’t argue with you (BigAl), but *nothing* is 100% reliable. Having said that, if you look at ANY of my photos illustrating my strobe configurations you would see that I fly with a minimum of three strobes, four at night- which is what I recommend.

Where I think the FAA is myopic is the hard 250g limitation to maintain eligibility in a class, ignoring the positive trade-off of some light safety equipment in return for a small exception in weight. For an extra 50g one or more strobes plus prop guards could be added. Luckily a simple registration bypasses the weight limitation, but I stand by my statement.

@DroneSolutions Skins aren't my thing, but if you like it it's your drone. I like the general idea of your strobe placement but not quite sure if a downward angle of the rear strobe is necessary. The photo was unclear as to what you did there exactly.

I used to fly with two strobes on the arms and one on the belly, except adding one on top at night. I made a little light weight 90° thingamabob to mount the front strobe vertically. The back strobe is mounted on the battery door and doesn't seem to give any issues. On the bottom I mount an ARC 2 or or ARC V (as shown). I did some creative, but not so pretty velcro mounting on the bottom, away from the vents. I just have to turn the drone on before mounting the strobe and remove it before shutting down. I move the top strobe forward to expose more velcro so I can "park" the bottom strobe on it when getting set up for convenience. I find leg extensions a must for belly mounted strobes. They also allow me to take off and land in short grass, sometimes eliminating the need for a landing pad.

When I mount strobes on the arms of the drone, I make them forward facing. And the best (ok, cheapest and most secure) way to mount them is with elastic hair bands. No joke. I'm attaching a photo of my Mavic 2, but you can see how the front arms are held on with the elastic. I lost a front strobe with velcro, but never with the elastic bands.

1654263536415.png
1654263751226.png1654263783667.png
1654264675542.png
1654262354254.png

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members