DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe Placement

Ozy

Reactions
Last night I was doing some night work on the Air3, and my arm strobes were bouncing off retro-reflector signs at my customer's site and were quite visible in the footage. I want to move to a single top-mounted strobe when doing lower-altitude night work. I will velcro it to the top. But I was wondering if anyone knew where the GPS unit is located under the top housing. I don't want to cover it.

These are the strobes I've been using for a while now, and they are great:

Thank you for any guidance!

Reactions: Torque
Hello from the Crossroads of America Ozy.

Lot of options here.

Do a search on YouTube for Tear down videos of the aircraft that will show what's what under the hood.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Reactions: Torque
I ordered the Firehouse light mounts for both the front and back legs yesterday from Aerial Pixel. As well as their racing stripe decals which are on my Mavic 3 and Mini3P. The silver decal really reflects sunlight well, the battery's butt is as visible as a strobe on a sunny day. Great company!

I did that before posting. This drone is brand new and no one wants to tear it down yet it seems.. :)

Reactions: MA2 317
My gut feeling is it's under the top cowling towards the front on the big wide forehead.

Reactions: Limewood
I ordered the Firehouse light mounts for both the front and back legs yesterday from Aerial Pixel. As well as their racing stripe decals which are on my Mavic 3 and Mini3P. The silver decal really reflects sunlight well, the battery's butt is as visible as a strobe on a sunny day. Great company!
Those look nice but are for that strobe. I don't have an attachment issue, I just wanted to move it to the top when low flying.

Cool site though, I did look through it a bit and bookmarked it.

The aircraft design is very similar to a mavic 3 so it's likely at the forward end same as the mavic 3

Reactions: KLRSKIR
For what it's worth, I've mounted strobes with velcro at the geometric midpoint of the top of the fuselage and further aft on all my DJI drones, from Mini to Mavic 3 Pro, and never had a problem
Your opinion is worth quite a bit. Thank you for the feedback.

Before I mounted my strobe, I went out and just set it on top of the drone where I intended to mount it and checked to see if it interfered with acquiring satellites or the number of satellites acquired without launching the drone. It picked up 20+ satellites sitting at the launch area so I knew the placement was ok. Very unscientific but it worked for me.

Reactions: MA2 317 and Torque
I did many tests tonight and decided to place the strobe on the back. The bottom has no spot where I couldn't see it when looking down. When the strobes were on the arms, flashing was also visible from retro-reflectors, such as signs in parking lots, ruining my urban night shots. I could still see the drone easily with just a top strobe at 400ft. I tested it on the Mini3Pro, and it also performed fine.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpeg
    IMG_1954.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 11
I use 2 Strobon Cree lights I’ve had for years and can easily see 3+ miles out. I use Scotch 3m 5lb fasteners , which I find to be more secure than Velcro. I place one on top of the drone (slightly behind the DJI insignia). I place the second right on the SD card rubber cover on the bottom/back of the Air 3. This way I can see the strobe on the bottom/back moving away from me pitched forward and I can the strobe on top when it’s returning home pitching forward.

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpeg
    IMG_1026.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1024.jpeg
    IMG_1024.jpeg
    798.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1027.jpeg
    IMG_1027.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals