DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe under the Mini2?

Depending on the size and how it is mounted, it might.
Also there is the question of whether it will interfere with the downward looking sensors. Then there is the question of, what does it sit on when not flying etc..
I put mine on the battery door, using epoxy putty between the drone and the strobe to angle the strobe as I wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use these for bottom mounted lights on the Mini's; Mavic Mini strobe light kit

The little bracket helps hold the light away from the vents a little bit.

Reactions: raymairjr
It seemed to me that the belly was the best spot for a strobe if the goal was pilot's visibility. I used a 3D printed bracket that clips into the battery vent slots. I'd say not much occlusion of the slots based on what I can see. I flew in -5C weather the other day, so not much of a test of battery overheating. In summertime, MMMV. :)

20210125_094724.jpg
No effect on flight characteristics other than tremendously improved visibility. Firehouse "V" with five incredibly bright strobes.

20210122_140538.jpg
With the strobe mounted, you can't use the DJI-supplied propeller protection bracket. This was my temp solution.

As mentioned previously, the strobe renders the stock landing gear irrelevant. Since I hand launch and catch 100% of the time (it's winter!) it doesn't matter. Strobe has no apparent effect on hand catch landing.

Once I realized that I didn't require a NASA-qualified heavy Velcro compression, I found that it's effortless to remove the strobe, in which case the prop protection bracket works perfectly.

This shot was taken at just under the 400ft altitude limitation. Previously, the Mini would have been invisible at that height. With the strobe, effortless. Goes a long way towards anxiety reduction.

W Creston Pano 02 2021 01 22.jpg

The mount I designed for my dual cree strobe leaves 3mm of gap, which leaves plenty of space for cooling, and provides access to all the controls.

Attachments

• bottom_mount2.jpg
    bottom_mount2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 59
  • bottom_mount1.jpg
    bottom_mount1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 57
Has anyone tried new firehouse belly mount. Holds 2 lights off side of mini 2 so visible from below. Have one on order. Have not found a mount I like yet. Do like the firehouse LEDs just can’t find right mount. Any other ideas out there

Reactions: halifax
If you want to mount a light on both sides of the body it would seem that the least expensive and lightest mount would be a heavy duty rubber band :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole purpose of the lights to avoid collisions? Don't think many other aircraft are going to be flying under 400'. A belly light might be good for the pilot but not so good for that helicopter or plane that can't see under the drone. Just my thought. :). I'm an advocate of having at least two...under and over. Or even three over, and each front leg (green/red, standard airplane config).

Already have a white strobe on top. My problem is that does me no good for VLOS. I loose sight very easily against the sky. Figured if I was going to add lights for my benefit would add a red and green that I could see from underneath

Already have a white strobe on top. My problem is that does me no good for VLOS. I loose sight very easily against the sky. Figured if I was going to add lights for my benefit would add a red and green that I could see from underneath
Ofcourse Bill,

On top is for airplanes and helicopters above you! Underneath is for you! Both is for big birds that definitley dislike drones.

I put mine on the battery door. Only problem is that although I press the button and the light comes on, when I get airborne the light is not visible or turns off.

I put mine on the battery door. Only problem is that although I press the button and the light comes on, when I get airborne the light is not visible or turns off.
The problem with that is that other aircraft won't see it unless they are behind it.

The problem with that is that other aircraft won't see it unless they are behind it.

And you won't see it if it's flying towards you. As I said elsewhere, DJI needs to solve this for us. VLOS means (switchable) strobes top and bottom.

I'd say that keeping the weight under 250g is secondary to VLOS considerations.

Besides, who's going to be weighing your drone? If the Drone Police were to charge you with being overweight because you increased safety by using a strobe, I think you'd win in the court of common sense.

I'd say that keeping the weight under 250g is secondary to VLOS considerations.

Besides, who's going to be weighing your drone? If the Drone Police were to charge you with being overweight because you increased safety by using a strobe, I think you'd win in the court of common sense.
Interesting assumptions...

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: TM74
For me looking for best functionality. Problem poor VLOS. Solution for me firehouse arcV strobes. (Already purchased). Problem is mounting strobes for best VLOS. MM2 is so small looking for what mount works best for you. On arms/belly/feet/landing gear etc. pics would help me. Thanks

For me looking for best functionality. Problem poor VLOS. Solution for me firehouse arcV strobes. (Already purchased). Problem is mounting strobes for best VLOS. MM2 is so small looking for what mount works best for you. On arms/belly/feet/landing gear etc. pics would help me. Thanks
Hi, I use this Superlätt LED-belysning för drönare Sorry it´s in Swedish but look at the pics.
Works great for me, I mounted it perpendicular under the drone. Its 26x42mm. Price $25. 19gr
Waterproof..... great to see the strobe 5feet down in the lake..?

Last edited:
Reactions: Crystalphantom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929