DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe under the Mini2?

And you won't see it if it's flying towards you. As I said elsewhere, DJI needs to solve this for us. VLOS means (switchable) strobes top and bottom.
How is this a DJI problem? No other drone manufacturer supplies collision lights. The way to solve it is just like any other aircraft. Red flashing anti-collision on top, white strobe in on bottom (rear on fixed wing), red strobe on left arm tip, green strobe on right arm tip. With those 4 lights, the PIC can see it from ground, other aircraft can see it from above and both can know what direction it's traveling. You might be able to get away with just three (arms and top) as long as the arms are mounted on tips of front arms facing away from the drone.

Mention of a dual bottom mount got me thinking so I whipped up this as an addition to my dual cree lighting solution. This is out on Thingiverse for those with 3D printers and should be printed in PETG as it provides enough flexibility for installation while also being stiff enough to properly support the leds. Like my other bottom mount, this version also has 3mm of clearance over the cooling vents in order to minimize any thermal issues.

The mount, with the leds installed, weighs in at 13g so will put you over 250g. Especially when also using a top mounted strobe for night flying.

I haven't flight tested this yet but don't foresee any issues as the airflow from the props clears the mount.

Attachments

• bottom_dual.jpg
    bottom_dual.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Crystalphantom
Has anyone tried new firehouse belly mount. Holds 2 lights off side of mini 2 so visible from below. Have one on order. Have not found a mount I like yet. Do like the firehouse LEDs just can’t find right mount. Any other ideas out there
I have the Firehouse strobe for the bottom of a Mini. Had it since September or so. I don't know if there's a newer version or not but it's pretty good overall. The only thing is that it's 3D-printed, which means it's a little rough and coarse-looking, but it's great other than that. In fact, the mini really needs a bottom strobe because it's just so small. I don't fly without it. I've also borrowed one of the strobes for my MA2 and velcro fastened it to the top of the mini. It's probably possible to have too many strobes, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Reactions: Crystalphantom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw