DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stuck in rain

OK Johnmcl7 I could be totally wrong, I haven't tested it out myself, only going by all the “I used rice to dry my phone” posted on the internet.

Lesson one, don't give out advice if you don't know what you are talking about :rolleyes:
Cyborg I've heard it so much I believed it to be true also . . . you're not alone (obviously).

Try putting the drone in the hot water cupboard if you have one it's the driest place in the house and the heat should get rid of the moisture inside the drone.
This is actually a very good idea . . . there would be 0% moisture in the air packed in there. Not sure about and attack though. I was careful to read every post and I didn't see one directed you or anyone else.

Do NOT put it ANY WHERE NEAR a fireplace. Just leave it in the same room where you have the heat on (if any) and let it dry out slowly.

The Drone itself should be fine, however the battery will most likely be comprimised and if it still works you will be tempted to fly with it but dont, that will be a risk not worth taking.

let it dry on its own for 2/3 days in a dry environment , near the fire place is good before attempting to put in a Brand New non contaminated battery.

Did the battery run out over the Stadium ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

My platinum got stuck in one of my tall conifers, could not get it for two weeks and there was heavy rain.
Got it back and not one problem ?

Alan

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
As the article states it is not a good idea to let your electronic device dry. The water will evaporate but lots of corrosive residue will remain. Better is to disassemble and displace the water with pure alcohol. This should clean the surfaces and stop further corrosion. Good luck with the recovery.

I had a toy drone fly away one mild winter's day and it was found 1km away in a snow drift which had gradually melted revealing the drone. (It was there for 3 months in the snow) I placed it in some strong sunlight for about 8 hour,s propped up in a vertical position, and repeated this the next day after inverting the drone on its other end. Third day I popped another battery in it which had not suffered the same fate as the drone, and bingo, it was flying again. No issues. I am sure that it crashed into the snow powered up, yet no harm done. The rice thing is dusty which could be worse than the dampness in some instances. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Thank you for the replies I appreciate it. I finally got the Mavic back 6 days after it landed on the stadium 4 days in the rain and 2 days in a stadium office that nobody could find I had to go through the city to get it back it was a pain in the butt but weird thing is the home team doesn't usually win that often who won their game like 44 to 10 or something like that with the drone up in the lights. Lol the aircraft itself looks pretty good I'm thinking it was somewhat shielded by one of the giant light covers. won't know for sure until I fire it up . However you are completely right the battery is toast. I did plug it in outside my house and it lit up at first so I thought I was good but when I came back to it the lights don't even come on now. I'm not going to attempt it. I just ordered a new one i should find out tomorrow if it comes in the mail. Would you still attempt to put it in rice even though it looks dry ? Say just until the battery came in. can't be too safe right?

Thank you for the replies I appreciate it. I finally got the Mavic back 6 days after it landed on the stadium 4 days in the rain and 2 days in a stadium office that nobody could find I had to go through the city to get it back it was a pain in the butt but weird thing is the home team doesn't usually win that often who won their game like 44 to 10 or something like that with the drone up in the lights. Lol the aircraft itself looks pretty good I'm thinking it was somewhat shielded by one of the giant light covers. won't know for sure until I fire it up . However you are completely right the battery is toast. I did plug it in outside my house and it lit up at first so I thought I was good but when I came back to it the lights don't even come on now. I'm not going to attempt it. I just ordered a new one i should find out tomorrow if it comes in the mail. Would you still attempt to put it in rice even though it looks dry ? Say just until the battery came in. can't be too safe right?

Forget the Rice, its useless and presents more problems than its ever been worth. I was hoping you would stay clear of attempting to use that battery again ever as that is when the most damage can occur.

Now you just have to wait to see if that last attempt shorted out the drone. Good luck.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Another good idea to help dry electronics: Place on the floor in front of the refrigerator. The air blown out is extremely dry, and will accelerate the drying process. The rice meathod is good, but I would cover the drone with a piece of cloth to keep rice debris from contaminating the drone, or the motors.

No. Lithium Polymer batteries react poorly to moisture, and you risk not only your drone, but a serious chemical reaction. Lithium can actually explode dramatically. Don't do it. Take the battery to Best Buys for proper disposal.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw