DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid Mavic question...

Just stick tape over the ground (TAF) sensor. It'll report that it's too dark to land safely, but you can still fly.

Or with the Air 2, use sport mode - that disables the sensors, and you can plow into the ground as fast as you like. (pretty sure sport mode disables the ground TAF too?)

Of course, this is all stupid, it's like saying 'how can I disable my car seatbelt? I don't crash, so I don't need it!'

If that safe landing feature is annoying you, ask DJI to disable it - maybe suggest they bill you for the code change, likely to be circa $50,000 with all the GUI, manuals etc. etc.

I'm sure if a lot of people ask for it, they'll do it.... ....but possibly loose respect with Air Safety Regulators worldwide, resulting in turning off the feature requiring a local, national, authorization code. Yeah, less safety has major repercussions.

The P3 should have had the controlled landing for the last 2 feet like the Mavics do. Many a P3 flyer, myself included, have landed too hard. As already mentioned, you also have the issue of a higher center of gravity, which can have a pilot cause the P3 to trip over itself, especially if the pilot makes horizontal corrections too close to ground.

An additional feature of the Mavics' controlled final descent within the last foot or so is that it automatically sets the gimbal to horizontal if it was pointing down. Not doing so can cause damage to the gimbal/camera or at least getting dirt on the lens. If you cover the downward sensors, you may end up with a hard landing since the AC won't be able to accurately determine it is near or at ground.

Ok...so after flying this for a couple of days, I’ve gotten used to this feature. Changing the profile to sport changes nothing..the response is the same. I’ll adjust but I’ll also always advocate for full control for pilots. Anyone who’s hit that button for autonomous control just to watch your 1,000+ UAV fly away without your control might agree.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections