DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid question about saving images ...

Rusty in Bend

Reactions
Please don't beat me up for this stupid question ... but ... (brace yourself) ...

Is there any way to save images shot in flight, directly to my Smart Controller in real time? I'm getting tired of having to land and pull the SD Card to view my photos on the screen. I've tried several semi-intuitive-sounding settings (like "Cache to SD Card" and others) ... but nothing seems to allow display on my controller without pulling the aircraft SD card.

What am I missing here?

I assume you have an SD card in the controller....if so are you watching as you fly? If so the6 should be on the Controller SD card, but these are not the high resolution 8mages

Please don't beat me up for this stupid question ... but ... (brace yourself) ...

Is there any way to save images shot in flight, directly to my Smart Controller in real time? I'm getting tired of having to land and pull the SD Card to view my photos on the screen. I've tried several semi-intuitive-sounding settings (like "Cache to SD Card" and others) ... but nothing seems to allow display on my controller without pulling the aircraft SD card.

What am I missing here?

Not in Real Time. But you can download/copy them while flying to the Controller (or device in absence of SC). Just under the Camera settings icon (that little slider icon), is the Preview or Review icon (like on digital cameras) which allows you to see images/videos. While you are reviewing an image, there's another small icon that is the download option. It will copy/download to the SC. Be aware that while photos download pretty fast, videos, depending on size can take a while. The process also takes battery power from both drone and controller. I usually do it after I land so that I can concentrate on flying, well, when flying and not waiting for the download process.

Please don't beat me up for this stupid question .

Rusty: I appreciate the desire to see results sooner but if you think about it for a minute, you'll understand why that's not a "feature." The aircraft has a finite "pipe" through which it supplies a huge amount of data to the controller and if you were to ask it to send more on top of that, be it a 20mp image or worse, a monster video, it wouldn't be able to manage due to the bandwidth limitations. But we're all like you, I suspect, and wish we could see the results sooner, especially if we're trying to get "that shot" or "that clip."

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
Heck ... I'd be satisfied if I could just transfer all my images from Drone SD to Controller SD ... "after" the flight, and without physically moving the SD card. But I can't even see a way to do that. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Rusty: AFAIK, there is no way to do that but the idea is a good one for those who have the SC although it would take a long time for the transfer if you had any amount of data on the Mavic card. For the rest of us poor folks, we'll just have to keep on keeping on. :)

Heck ... I'd be satisfied if I could just transfer all my images from Drone SD to Controller SD ... "after" the flight, and without physically moving the SD card. But I can't even see a way to do that. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Maybe my explanation above was not clear. You can do it after or even during the flight. You need to use the Review Icon (the little triangle icon under the camera settings icon). Once you are "reviewing" your pictures or videos, you can use the "cup icon with downward arrow" to copy them from the original drone images to your controller. Again, pictures are fairly quick. As suggested videos can be BIG and therefore take a while to transfer. No need to physically remove the card. EXCEPT if you want, say the underlying individual pictures that make up Pans, those remain on the drone and do not copy - what is copied are the compiled Pans or superresolution results or regular, individual pics.

Reactions: JakeRobinson
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard