DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid question: How does "cache" work with these drones?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I know this is quite basic, but I'm confused and not sure how cache works, functions or is managed with the Mini or M2P. What I know is that when new I could see replica images and video of most things I've shot on my phone in the Fly App. I'm not sure about the Go app, but reviewing images without downloading seems limited. I tend not to have a lot of stuff downloaded to my phone because it's an older iPhone 6s Plus and doesn't have a lot of room for anything.

What can you tell me about how cache works, mangaging cache, "clearing" it (?) and allowing for more preview/reviews on my phone?

I know this is quite basic, but I'm confused and not sure how cache works, functions or is managed with the Mini or M2P. What I know is that when new I could see replica images and video of most things I've shot on my phone in the Fly App. I'm not sure about the Go app, but reviewing images without downloading seems limited. I tend not to have a lot of stuff downloaded to my phone because it's an older iPhone 6s Plus and doesn't have a lot of room for anything.

What can you tell me about how cache works, mangaging cache, "clearing" it (?) and allowing for more preview/reviews on my phone?

Not a stupid question at all. I would like to learn more about this myself.

Basically,

When you record something with your drone or pictures are taking, the drone record this to the SD card, but the 4 go app or DJi Fly record as well a low-quality copy as "cache" copy inside the mobile device. As you know you can configure the amount of cache. I believe is a 2GB by default, I personally changed to 16GB.

This allows you to preview a video without having to download the original video and i personally like to record the cache in case something happens, like you lose your drone. The cache video will help you understand what happened or evidence other than the data files from the logs.

The cache can be set as overwrite from the oldest files once is full.

I am pretty sure more people here can give you more technical support on this and correct any of my statements and are welcome to do it.

Basically,

When you record something with your drone or pictures are taking, the drone record this to the SD card, but the 4 go app or DJi Fly record as well a low-quality copy as "cache" copy inside the mobile device. As you know you can configure the amount of cache. I believe is a 2GB by default, I personally changed to 16GB.

This allows you to preview a video without having to download the original video and i personally like to record the cache in case something happens, like you lose your drone. The cache video will help you understand what happened or evidence other than the data files from the logs.

The cache can be set as overwrite from the oldest files once is full.

I am pretty sure more people here can give you more technical support on this and correct any of my statements and are welcome to do it.

I sort of understand the part about recording to the phone. But I have no idea where the settings lie or how to manage them... or what is reasonable for the amount of storage space left on my phone. I know that since I started videotaping with my drones the space on my computer's HD has filled up quickly to the point where I need to install another internal drive.

Unless you're transferring the lower res cache video files to your PC, that's not relevant. Even then, they're usually only 720p and more compressed than the files on the SD so they aren't too large.
They can fill up a mobile device quickly though.

The high quality video is indeed quite large, particularly in 4K. Personally I find 1080p sufficient. I use a 2GB external drive to store all my HQ footage.

as has been already stated all pics and video goes to the sd card in the drone ,or if the drone has inbuilt storage then you can use that as well, really its a backup if you forget to put a card in the drone or the SD card gets full
the trouble with Cache to device is, it takes a up memory ,and the device battery is being used to do it and the CPU is running which produces heat ,
i myself never Cache to device as its only a low res image ,the less things going on during flight the better ,i have flown 4 batteries with my MPP and still have 60 to 70 % battery left on my Ipad, its a personal thing really whether you save to device or not

In Go 4 app, there is a Settings under “Me” where you can clear various caches. Be aware that if you clear everything in all caches, you will erase your saved Waypoint missions. I’m not sure which one, I can only speculate.

as has been already stated all pics and video goes to the sd card in the drone ,or if the drone has inbuilt storage then you can use that as well, really its a backup if you forget to put a card in the drone or the SD card gets full
the trouble with Cache to device is, it takes a up memory ,and the device battery is being used to do it and the CPU is running which produces heat ,
i myself never Cache to device as its only a low res image ,the less things going on during flight the better ,i have flown 4 batteries with my MPP and still have 60 to 70 % battery left on my Ipad, its a personal thing really whether you save to device or not

How do you turn off cache. I also have a platinum and use a mini 5 iPad. Thanks [emoji4]

Reactions: old man mavic
How do you turn off cache. I also have a platinum and use a mini 5 iPad. Thanks [emoji4]
in the camera settings scroll down till you see Cache to device and it can be on or off depending on the slider switch on the screen you need to have everything connected so do it before you fly next time

I am going to be switching cache off too I think, but I would put forward the idea of using a screen recorder app.
Providing you remember to start the recording they capture a semi usable copy of your video PLUS, and it is a big PLUS as far as I am concerned, all the telemetry, settings changes and messages that happen during the flight.

Interesting ideas. The thing is that I only have 11 GB left on my 60GB drive on my phone. It wouldn't take much to lock that sucker up. I was thinking about buying an older iPad Mini to use exclusively for flying and this sort of thing, but expect to get a hand-me-down XsMax in about 6 months and I could use my iPhone 6s Plus for flying. But right now I'm kind of ham strung due to the small amount storage space left.

Get rid of some of the 'junk' off the phone or, as you are thinking about, get a dedicated device.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to be switching cache off too I think, but I would put forward the idea of using a screen recorder app.
Providing you remember to start the recording they capture a semi usable copy of your video PLUS, and it is a big PLUS as far as I am concerned, all the telemetry, settings changes and messages that happen during the flight.

It depends what you're wanting to do but I don't think this is a great idea in general since you're potentially compromising the performance of DJI Go with the screen recorder app also needing to run in the foreground, as videos the screen video is going to be worse than the cached video with all the data on screen plus no photos and perhaps most crucially the drone is already recording vastly more complex flight logs which general messages and settings can be easily viewed.

That's fine.
I just happen to think they are a very useful tool with easier access to some data then trawling through the logs.

Get rid of some of the 'junk' off the phone or as you are think about get a dedicated device.
There isn't much I can delete. I went through all my images and videos today and ditched whatever I might not want to have on hand. I'll have to do the same with apps, but I'm afraid I'll still be short space. The dedicated device will probably be the way to go. I'm not sure what I want. My 8" ipad won't work as the iOS won't update beyond ios 10.x, so I'm thinking about a Mini. But right now cash flow has me paying for the M2P and all it's toys that arrived recently.

Buy storage on the Icloud. Photos and videos will transfer to the Icloud automatically, freeing up you phones storage.. It isn't that expensive.

Reactions: TreeHugger
Buy storage on the Icloud. Photos and videos will transfer to the Icloud automatically, freeing up you phones storage.. It isn't that expensive.
I have extra storage on iCloud. Personally I find it extremely cumbersome and difficult as Apple totally disorganized my fully organized image bank. A while back during one of Apples updates all my thousands of images that were in nice neat folders got scrambled out order, like new decks of card thrown up in a tornado and retrieved. 3 days on the phone with Apple Customer service couldn't put them back as they were- even though I had them all backed up on a separate drive because effen iTunes wouldn't let it happen. All this makes it even more difficult to sort and discard images and files. If I could live without the two Apple products I have- I would. Sorry for the rant.

storage is a big problem ,when you have hundreds of pics and videos ,my solution was a 4 TB hard drive attached to my ancient laptop ,i name all the files and keep them on there and also play them back as well it will take quite a while to fill 4 TB as i only record in 1080P at 30 FPS as my computer wont play higher res stuff

A while back during one of Apples updates all my thousands of images that were in nice neat folders got scrambled out order, like new decks of card thrown up in a tornado and retrieved.
Which demonstrates one reason I personally dislike cloud storage for anything of consequence, I dislike the idea of my stuff being at the mercy of some unknown third party.
As you use it .....can you download and remove the images from where ever they are/were, then sort them and upload them again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheRock
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast