DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Subject Lost! Driving me crazy.

HCG

Reactions
Hello all. I’m new on here, thanks for reading my predicament.

I’ve recently switched from P4P+ to a Mavic Air 2S. I’m mostly pleased with the the Mavic but this is driving me nuts.

I’m building a house and I’m trying to fly a circle around the centre of the house. On my P4P I could position my drone directly above the centre of the circle tap POI and the fly out to the radius and height required.

But with the Mavic I can only use POI by selecting a subject. Is this correct or am I missing something?

I’ve tried so many times to make the centre of the roof the subject but within 1 second of flight it tells me ‘subject lost’, it’s really driving me bananas.

My plan is to record 360 videos from same height and radius at various stages of the build.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

HCG

Reactions: 4006448
Has anyone got any suggestions?
Pretty easy fix. You start the POI at the default (slow) speed, and wait until the green selection box replaces with an icon in the middle of the selected subject that looks like a Google Maps logo, or something. Then you can set the speed to whatever you want and move the drone too!
Here is how that icon looks:
1648066412210.png

Thank you Yaros. Trouble is after I select subject I get a message almost immediately saying ‘subject lost’, I’m trying to select an area of roof that is around 4m x 4m, and shoot it from 9.4m high and 34m away.

I thought perhaps it just can’t pin point an small area of a large roof. 🤔

Reactions: Yaros
Thank you Yaros. Trouble is after I select subject I get a message almost immediately saying ‘subject lost’, I’m trying to select an area of roof that is around 4m x 4m, and shoot it from 9.4m high and 34m away.

Yes, it will not select a small area, try a little bit larger

Thank you. I have tried with a larger section of the building, around 8m x 8m but still tells me ‘subject lost’.

Any other nuggets of wisdom out there?

Trouble is after I select subject I get a message almost immediately saying ‘subject lost’, I’m trying to select an area of roof that is around 4m x 4m, and shoot it from 9.4m high and 34m away.

Yes, the smaller area of the roof selected doesn't stand out against the surrounding roof area most likely.
Needs contrast to keep the area locked on.

You might have to select the whole roof area, as hopefully that will contrast against the surrounding ground.

Good luck with it, hopefully you can get that working ok now, keep us posted.

Maybe put a temporary, contrasting ‘X’ on the roof that will last during construction and be removed later?

For orbits I use Litchi, with it you can create, save, and load Orbits from the app, using GPS coordinates, not visually, which makes it super accurate for comparing videos from different days. But it's a paid app...

If you plan on putting all of these together, it might be better to create the orbit with a hyperlapse with waypoints. The mission parameters get saved so once you get it where you want, you just rerun that mission each day.

Reactions: Lob's Falcon
Another strong vote for Lichi. Make the jump and create the mission once and repeat PRN. (As needed)

• Love
Reactions: Yaros
For orbits I use Litchi, with it you can create, save, and load Orbits from the app, using GPS coordinates, not visually, which makes it super accurate for comparing videos from different days. But it's a paid app...
I want to try Litchi on Android
Do you use it with iOS?
🙃

I want to try Litchi on Android
Do you use it with iOS?
🙃
I use it on Android with Air 2, works fine. I know there are some problems with Air 2S on iOS, but not on Android currently.

Put a large object on the roof like a chair or a person and lock onto that
Could do that, but the costs of the hospital stay, recovery, and months of physical therapy can be pretty steep.

Better to just drop U$24 on Litchi, and no one gets hurt :cool:

Litchi is an excellent option but i prefers Dronelink personally. It has much more to offer. The price is higher but you get what you pay.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13