DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden Battery Critical Landing

Yesterday it happened to me, from 30% and landing over water in a rice field. Ironically now my drone is dipped in rice to see if it recovers... My DJI refresh ended a month ago :( Let’s see what happens. I've been reading that they resist quite a lot to water dives and that they usually work again. But I don't like this problem with batteries in general because you don't fly with the same confidence and freedom. Hopefully dji solves this problem or I will consider buying a drone again as much as I like it.

I had the same thing happen last month after I got a replacement drone right before Christmas. I flew my drone in chicago using four batteries (the weather was unusually mild on Xmas... in the mid 30s in the morning). Right after the 1st of the year I did a firmware update on all four batts, next day I noticed swelling in two of the newer ones. I stopped by a park near my house to do some quick flying. It was a cool day in the high 20s. I took the drone up to about 12 ft and 20 ft away from me when I got a low batt alarm I turned the drone back towards me but it dropped to 2 ft above the ground then suddenly banked towards the highway. I had gloves on so I rushed forward and grabbed at it, a blade hit my finger and the craft tipped over hitting the ground. Astonished and annoyed I looked at the batt level lights and it was dead. No response. I put a fresh one on after replacing a broken blade. I took it up to about 10 ft close to me then, pow, the alarm went off, the drone dropped low then banked AGAIN towards the busy street!! I tried to control it with the remote but no response. I ran and blocked the drone with my leg (ouch) it flipped up, spun back to the park, skid on the sidewalk and came to rest in the grass and snow. I tried to shut it off with the sticks but it kept running even tho it was still connected to the remote Somehow it shut down in its own, I picked it up and checked the level and it was down to 1 light. I turned it off then pressed the button to turn it on but the light blinked twice then died. Another blade was broken so I packed up and went home. I checked both batts on the charging hub, both batts less than a year old were dead. I put the drone on the Mac using a spare batt and restored the update. Last Tuesday after I ordered new props I went to a different park with the prop guards on this time. I only had two older batts left. It was pretty cold but not freezing. I flew up and got about 7ft when the drone leveled off and dropped down. It landed safely under my control, the batt was fully charged but was reading 5%. I thought better and decided to call it quits. I got home and just before going in the house I check the other batt and flew around with no problem. The faulty batt charged back up and this morning I checked it and did ok but my confidence pretty much shattered. I’m down to my last two batts and I’m wondering if somehow the drone itself isn’t causing this. I got less than a month left in my extended warranty so I’m sending it back to dji and see what’s up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredFulf