DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden crash: my fault or DJI's

MavicCF

Reactions
Hi all! Hoping to get some help from you guys about todays crash. I was out for a typical routine flight above a friends house. I had been cruising around for a while and decided to flip into sport mode. As soon as I pitched forward in sport mode, it flipped (I think) over the front left corner and proceeded in a succession of summersaults to the ground. The results aren't pretty. The gimbal/camera are almost completely ripped off, the front right landing gear/antenna is broken, and the top of the body is popped up. I'm guessing either a prop or a motor failure although it could have been one of the small birds in the area. I was hoping I could get someone to analyze my flight records for me and tell me if it was my fault or if DJI is likely to eat this one. First though, I need to know how to upload theses records to this sight. Thanks in advance! -CF

Move along, nothing to see here. :)
Hey what the, who's hacking this forum! ;-)

I am curious though because if it was user error somehow, and therefor the craft was functioning, then it suggests the Mavic can't recover from being inverted. What do you think DJI?

When you landed, were all 4 props still attached and what was their condition?
Yes, all four props were attached. Back left was intact, front left and back right was missing one blade, front right was missing large chunks. It came down hard from 150 feet in some scrub, Battery popped off too.

Hey what the, who's hacking this forum! ;-)

I am curious though because if it was user error somehow, and therefor the craft was functioning, then it suggests the Mavic can't recover from being inverted. What do you think DJI?

Ive never tried to right a Mavic after being inverted, but it will try to right itself straight into the ground, and then keep spinning the props once it hits the ground as long as the battery is still connected. I had one go up in smoke after it hit the ground inverted, and the motors kept trying to spin.

Curious...what does it indicate if the props were still attached or not?
Often, when the Mavic fails in this cataclysmic of a manner it may be because a prop was not attached properly.

Working on trying to get the DAT files but where in the world do I get Assistant 2 (Mac).

I'm guessing either a prop or a motor failure although it could have been one of the small birds in the area.

Curious...what does it indicate if the props were still attached or not?

Op says all 4 props were still attached at the crash site. So maybe not a prop detachment, but posssibly prop failure.

It makes a difference if the props are intact and/or attached after the crash. The OP was wondering if a prop or motor failed. A prop spinning off would probably make the Mavic spin into the ground, but not cartwheel, but who knows. If the props were still attached after impact, that means one of the didnt come loose or become detached.

summersaults

Do you think it Somersaulted or cartwheeled or spun?

This is a somersault:

This is a cartwheel:

and this is a spin:

Reactions: MavicCF
Op says all 4 props were still attached at the crash site. So maybe not a prop detachment, but posssibly prop failure.

It makes a difference if the props are intact and/or attached after the crash. The OP was wondering if a prop or motor failed. A prop spinning off would probably make the Mavic spin into the ground, but not cartwheel, but who knows. If the props were still attached after impact, that means one of the didnt come loose or become detached

Do you think it Somersaulted or cartwheeled or spun?

This is a somersault:

This is a cartwheel:

and this is a spin:

It definitely somersaulted.

Ive never tried to right a Mavic after being inverted, but it will try to right itself straight into the ground, and then keep spinning the props once it hits the ground as long as the battery is still connected. I had one go up in smoke after it hit the ground inverted, and the motors kept trying to spin.
Tragic but interesting. I wonder how long it will be when we see a promo video of someone tossing a drone off of a tall building, and then watch it right itself?

Tragic but interesting. I wonder how long it will be when we see a promo video of someone tossing a drone off of a tall building, and then watch it right itself?
You can do it with racing quads! I used to launch mine by throwing it frisbee-like into the sky and then starting the motors!

There have been many occasions during a Mavic repair that I wanted to do exactly that, and not care if it righted itself or not before it hit the ground.

There have been many occasions during a Mavic repair that I wanted to do exactly that, and not care if it righted itself or not before it hit the ground.
Lol:). I was actually considering doing that as I think this Mavic is toast.

Lol:). I was actually considering doing that as I think this Mavic is toast.

I was just joking. Dont give up on it. If you think theres a chance DJI will cover it under warranty, it's worth a shot. Even if they have to repair it under Refresh or out of pocket, it's worth getting repaired.

At what point will they just replace the whole drone? I guess the motherboard and escs are probably ok. Wish I had Refresh:(.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98