DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden strong wind, Mini flew away

The yellow pin is the estimated landing point. There is likely to be an uncertainty of a couple of hundred meters - depending on how consistent the wind was over the lake.
I believe @sar104's estimates like this take the "altitude profile" of wind speed into account. It's pretty dramatic in this case, and the long descent through it adds to the uncertainty; turbulence in such a gale will have larger effects on position than in lighter breezes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bekanne
I believe @sar104 's estimates like this take the "altitude profile" of wind speed into account. It's pretty dramatic in this case, and the long descent through it adds to the uncertainty; turbulence in such a gale will have larger effects on position than in lighter breezes.

That's correct. The estimate above uses a wind speed profile. This flight was at maximum altitude, and so the aircraft potentially travelled 800 meters or so during the descent.

1582298809846.jpeg

Last edited:
I Fly Rc Planes, but also my little drone which i have just got so why fly so high that you don"t know what you are doing only one word stop flying drones.

Reactions: Bekanne
Did 7km on snowshoes. Tomorrow I'll take the snowmobile with me (left it by the shore today and yesterday), the ice is thick enough. I'll drive the area from the landing start to about the same after the landing spot.

Did 7km on snowshoes. Tomorrow I'll take the snowmobile with me (left it by the shore today and yesterday), the ice is thick enough. I'll drive the area from the landing start to about the same after the landing spot.

Was the snowstorm that you mentioned earlier enough to have covered the aircraft?

Reactions: Pietros
Was the snowstorm that you mentioned earlier enough to have covered the aircraft?
Yes,but I believe it would make bump on the surface. It wasn't huge amount of snow and it blows like hell in the middle of the lake.
At least I hope this is the case.

Reactions: Prismatic
Hopefully it's not me. Our lake is about 2km wide and up to 75m deep. That would be unfortunate to break through.
There is actually double ice at some places (melted snow on the ice snows over and makes second ice layer). When you break through that, it is very unpleasant. And the snowmobile bogs down in the slush.
I hope to avoid it.

• Wow
Reactions: Prismatic
IMG_20200223_124034.jpg
Screenshot_2020-02-23-13-36-47-655_menion.android.locus.pro.jpg
Blue line is one and half of my snowshoe searches (didn't record my position most of the first day). Red is snowmobile. Green cross is approximate Landing start point. Landing place is the center of everything point :)

Last edited:
The red line is the predicted flight track, and the green line is the ground track - it's a 3-D view. Perhaps it is easier to visualize in Google Earth:

Just a question - last known attitude is 464m. Does your wind profile count with +300m starting point attitude?

Just a question - last known attitude is 464m. Does your wind profile count with +300m starting point attitude?

The calculations start with the actual drift rate and direction - it doesn't rely on the altitude profile except during the autolanding phase.

Reactions: kokesh
i know you want to find your drone,but please don't put yourself at risk out on the ice good luck

OP has probably 5m more ice to dig :).

I made a brilliant move, and bought a small house in Kapellskär, in Gräado (misspelled). Any MavPilot member can visit for free, during BOTH days it is not frozen solid. :)

It is heaven, when it thaws.

Reactions: old man mavic

I'll vouch for the area...

Hopefully it's not me. Our lake is about 2km wide and up to 75m deep. That would be unfortunate to break through.
There is actually double ice at some places (melted snow on the ice snows over and makes second ice layer). When you break through that, it is very unpleasant. And the snowmobile bogs down in the slush.
I hope to avoid it.

You need a quick Helsinki boat sauna!

Anyone knows how long the battery lasts? Does it usually remain alive for some minutes beeping and waiting for controller connection?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada