DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suitable tablet

plasticbaldy

Reactions
I need advice on suitable & non suitable tablets. I’d like to buy a cheap second hand tablet or iPad to dedicate to my Mavic Air. What should I know about how to identify suitable and non suitable tablets please ?

I need advice on suitable & non suitable tablets. I’d like to buy a cheap second hand tablet or iPad to dedicate to my Mavic Air. What should I know about how to identify suitable and non suitable tablets please ?
The app is quite demanding and requires a fast processor and >2GB of RAM to run properly.
A cheap s/h tablet isn't going to run well unless it has enough performance to keep up with the app's demands.

DJI's list isn't much help.
They rarely update it and test very few of the many tablets that are good for flying.
This is a better place to start:

Reactions: msinger
I personally use a 2016 Amazon Fire HD8 (tried on a whim) or iPad Mini 2 (got for free) for tablets when flying. Most lists will say both are underpowered for the Go4 app. I have had zero issues or lag with either. My 2¢ with whatever you buy is stay close flying the first time you use it to make sure there is no lag or connectivity issues, but of course the newer tablet with better processors and more RAM is going to be best if you can afford it.

Its not cheap but I use my Samsung Tab S3 10.5 and it is excellent.

The app is quite demanding and requires a fast processor and >2GB of RAM to run properly.
A cheap s/h tablet isn't going to run well unless it has enough performance to keep up with the app's demands.

DJI's list isn't much help.
They rarely update it and test very few of the many tablets that are good for flying.
This is a better place to start:

How fast is fast enough please ?

Is 2 core or 4 core an advantage if I’m only using it for Go 4 and my Mavic Air. Or am I going to want to use other apps with my Mavic Air that the multi core tablet can function better with ?

Spec-wise yes, but I personally wouldn’t trust it as it says it’s “unbranded”. I would stick to a brand you know (Apple, Samsung, etc.) Price-wise this isn’t bad and you could end up with something that doesn’t work for drone but would have plenty of other uses (give to kid if you have any, stream tv/movies away from home.)

Get the brightest you can get/afford. Or just go straith for a crystalsky monitor. You can get used ones for approx £300-360.

All depends on what you intend to do with it. Strictly for go4 then its overkill. Using it for a normal.daily Tablet, then it is a great dual purpose unit. I have the wifi/4g model. Awesome unit.

As others have said. Get the brightest tablet if you plan to use for flying. Tab s3 shows 441nits. Ipad mini4 says 412. Crystalsky 5.5 shows 950nits...

Reading this, I *think* I have made a decision on the tablet I want.

Now a bit more advice
I personally use a 2016 Amazon Fire HD8 Most lists will say both are underpowered for the Go4 app. I have had zero issues or lag with either.

Hopefully, not hijacking this response.....

I am looking at the Amazon Firee, HD 10.

1) Is this going to be a good tablet to fly my new Mavic 2 Zoom? [It *is* a quad core]
2) Is 32 megs of mem enough, or do I need the 64 meg version?
3) Do I need GPS in my tablet, or just internet capability?

The Kid

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803