DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Summer drownings in the UK

Paul Iddon

Reactions
It really is tragic that young lives are lost swimming in summer. GB News ran a story today about a mum campaigning to raise awareness.

GB News used 2 short excerpts from my drone video in the report.

Nice to be featured, just a sad tale that was being told.

Dylan's mum continues to campaign.

Twitter feed to GB News story.

Original flight

Paul.

I remember scorching days in the Lake District where the water in some of the tarns was FREEZING cold.
At one, a group of us were proposing to jump off a dam wall into deep water. I think our OBMS instructer had warned of the dangers of the water being cold and fortunately I thought to test the temperature. I waded in from the side, I might have gown icicles on my 1% 0.25%, it was that cold.
I stopped the jump.
I have often wondered if I stopped heart stoppages that day, the shock of jumping from the heat into the icy water would have been at least breath taking.
I remember another time, years later, where swimming breast stroke or crawl my shoulders started to lock up and I would say I was a strongish swimmer at that time. I had to roll over on to my back and complete the trip to shore on my back,
I've never really tried river swimming but if they can be equally as cold I think it would be inadvisable to quickly swim or jump into deep water, plus I'd bet most of the time you don't know what junk lies below the surface.

I also wonder how many people in trouble in deep water in a river, especially kids, would try to make it back to their friends or entry point. I've seen dogs do that and walked down stream calling to them so that they didn't have to flight the current. A la, instead of swimming to the side of a rip tide people in difficulty often try to swim to shore i.e. up stream = thank you Bondi Rescue on you tube.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Iddon
@Paul Iddon sad news indeed Paul ,but great to see your footage being used for such a great cause

Reactions: Paul Iddon
Thank you gents.

To begin with, I didn't know the water I filmed was the site of young Dylan's loss of life, it was only afterwards when researching for generic info to go with the video that I realised where I was actually filming. All very sad.

I was surprised when Ray from the news channel contacted me (through my photography website) asking to use some of the video.

Just shows you never know what your drone can bring to the fore....

A family member (Rebecca Ramsey) is actually speaking at my sisters school for year 6 kids next month about the dangers.

The campaign goes on.

Paul.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown