DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunset - Grainy Footage

DW009

Reactions
any idea why my image looks kind of grainy?
Is this due to the scenery being too dark?
If that's the case, any tips for shooting sunsets are much appreciated! Maybe some setting I should change?

Btw, these are screenshots from video footage that I took on my Mavic Air.

Grain or noise is typically induced when one has a higher ISO and is not shooting using the proper frame rate and shutter speed.
You optimally want double the shutter speed of your frame rate.
So if shooting 30 frames per second you want a frame rate of 1/60th of a second. After setting these two parameters manually then adjust the exposure and see if you can properly expose the subject.

This is all in manual mode and not automatic. If you cannot adjust exposure to a proper level for the subject then add an ND filter to the Mavic Air and increase the density of the filter until you can expose the subject properly and maintain the double shutter speed of frame rate.

Grain or noise is typically induced when one has a higher ISO and is not shooting using the proper frame rate and shutter speed.
You optimally want double the shutter speed of your frame rate.
So if shooting 30 frames per second you want a frame rate of 1/60th of a second. After setting these two parameters manually then adjust the exposure and see if you can properly expose the subject.

This is all in manual mode and not automatic. If you cannot adjust exposure to a proper level for the subject then add an ND filter to the Mavic Air and increase the density of the filter until you can expose the subject properly and maintain the double shutter speed of frame rate.

???..Umm, Graininess/noise comes in at higher ISO which is sometimes needed at Low light levels...the LAST thing you want to do is stick a filter on and give yourself even less light to play with.

Keeping shutter speed as a multiple of framerate does ensure smoother video, but has no direct effect on graininess, I don't know why you think that.

If you use iso 100 instead of a higher number ISO you would need to use a slower shutter speed to maintain the same exposure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02