DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Supermoon Over Miami April 267-2021

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
The supermoon, so called because it is 7 1/2% larger due to its closeness to the earth (called perigee) appeared here between 8:00 and 12:00 midnight last night.

Attachments

• Supermoon -April 26-2021-over-DowntownMiami-Night-MathesonView-HiRez.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 109
Whew April is a long month this year.

I purposely exaggerated the moon.

That would take wicked advanced skills.
You should understand that the two images are 100% totally my own. Of course, they were taken at different times. The city night scape was taken at 6 AM several weeks ago, before sunrise while I was waiting for the sun to come up for a drone sunrise. The moon was taken last night. We are having two of these super moons this year. That moon was shot from my driveway while doing a 4 hour timelapse, which you will soon be seeing in a video. The moon exposure was bracketed until I could see details. In the video, it is merely a white ball. There is just too much dynamic range to get both the moon and the dark sky perfectly exposed simultaneously.

You should understand that the two images are 100% totally my own. Of course, they were taken at different times. The city night scape was taken at 6 AM several weeks ago, before sunrise while I was waiting for the sun to come up for a drone sunrise. The moon was taken last night. We are having two of these super moons this year. That moon was shot from my driveway while doing a 4 hour timelapse, which you will soon be seeing in a video. The moon exposure was bracketed until I could see details. In the video, it is merely a white ball. There is just too much dynamic range to get both the moon and the dark sky perfectly exposed simultaneously.

I never doubted that you took them. The photo I posted above was also taken yesterday, and was just a single exposure, processed from raw so it can be done without combining separate photos. The light was actually pretty poor because it was mostly cloudy and the foreground was rather dark, and so it challenged the sensor. With better light it is fairly easy to get everything fully within the dynamic range of the camera. For example, from last April, this is also a single exposure - the sunset was still slightly lighting the peaks - probably fairly equivalent in brightness to a night cityscape:

oNVZDJteTwy8t3LVlPWigA_thumb_2abd.jpg

I never doubted that you took them. The photo I posted above was also taken yesterday, and was just a single exposure, processed from raw so it can be done without combining separate photos. The light was actually pretty poor because it was mostly cloudy and the foreground was rather dark, and so it challenged the sensor. With better light it is fairly easy to get everything fully within the dynamic range of the camera. For example, from last April, this is also a single exposure - the sunset was still slightly lighting the peaks - probably fairly equivalent in brightness to a night cityscape:

View attachment 128156
This is a wonderful shot. Great composition,, and the moon exposure was right on. You caught it just as the moon was kissing the top of the mountain. The red glow of the sun still shows. I suppose I could tweak the foreground but I will resist my urge.

This is a wonderful shot. Great composition,, and the moon exposure was right on. You caught it just as the moon was kissing the top of the mountain. The red glow of the sun still shows. I suppose I could tweak the foreground but I will resist my urge.

I did spend some time trying to optimize the foreground, but I'm sure that it could still be improved. Feel free to play if you want to.

Edited SAR SuperMoon SAR.jpgScreen Shot 2021-04-27 at 6.18.11 PM.pngOK- I used a gradient filter below-warmed the foreground a bitand added unsharp mask, then darkened the moon a tad.

Dale

Of course, and the moon photo wasn't taken with the drone, correct?
None of this film was done with the drone. Just wanted to present it to the group anyway. The moon was shot with a tripod, Nikon D750, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, and moon over city image was a composite in Photoshop to position the moon and enlarge it. This was an image included in today;s VIDEO submission of my 39 second super moonrise.

Reactions: ckoerner
Okay, this thread caused me to go back through my DSLR picture drive to find some moon shots I did 10 years ago......hung my Canon 60D DSLR off my Meade 4" telescope.

I remember trying to get the focus and the frame composition to my satisfaction, but the moon's transit speed using in essence a 1200mm focal length was a challenge in itself. I sharpened the photo a bit, but otherwise SOOC.

Attachments

• IMG_4486-Mavic Forum.jpg
    IMG_4486-Mavic Forum.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 8
Okay, this thread caused me to go back through my DSLR picture drive to find some moon shots I did 10 years ago......hung my Canon 60D DSLR off my Meade 4" telescope.

I remember trying to get the focus and the frame composition to my satisfaction, but the moon's transit speed using in essence a 1200mm focal length was a challenge in itself. I sharpened the photo a bit, but otherwise SOOC.
Yes, the moon moves faster than you think! That is why I adjusted my exposure for a shorter shutter speed.
24mm lens, 6.0 sec. interval, aperture f/8, shutter 5. Still , then entire timelapse took over 3 hours.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty