DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SWARM OF DRONES DESCEND ON ARIZONA NUCLEAR PLANT

I too have seen a swarm of drones flying not too far from where I live a couple of times. Not sure what is going on but I also have seen them on Kittyhawk several times in different states.
Rather strange.
Wonder if the military or some one else up to some thing?

Wonder if the military or some one else up to some thing?
BINGO. the reports were also large drones, not the typical hobbyist drone like the Phantom or Mavic.
I suspect a range of government agencies are testing response times and actions. Note the reports never say they breached the fenced areas, only that they swarmed the areas, (reading from the previous thread article, not this one)

The effective range of the *best* "net gun" I've seen is about twenty feet. And that's on a human-sized target.
Wishful thinking on my part I guess - :) you would think though that CIA or NSA would have come up with some sort of protection against drones - maybe even something that disrupts Magnetic fields and makes the drones all crash when they pass a certain demarcation point near or around the Nuclear Power plant?

While this is definitely a disturbing occurrence, I gotta say I do love the term "drone-a-palooza."

No debate that these kinds of installations need some form of defense. But everyone on this forum and those wanting to do significant harm, can think of hundreds of ways to do it. It’s like plugging holes in a dam, there is no end to it. Physical bombs, chemicals, poison, viruses, cyber. And the possible targets are endless. Build a weapon...find a way to defeat it...build another....find a way to defeat it. I wonder how much has been spent by the gov, business and individuals for all forms of “security” since 911? Staggering!

I wonder how much has been spent by the gov, business and individuals for all forms of “security” since 911? Staggering!

Should we mention the utter farce that is the TSA? ;)

Reactions: Yahiko
Has anyone seen this article about the drone swarm over the AZ nuclear plant?
Who cares? I worked at many nuclear plants in the US and internationally. I was one of the two leads for the mechanical design of the standard AP1000 plant. The plants are designed to take the direct hit of a commercial airplane as well as any unique hazards that may be near them. A drone crashing into a nuke plant may take out a non-safety component no different than a non-nuclear power plant. Also they have more than a shotgun (stated by some) and could shoot one down but that would be silly as they are no threat. This is no big deal.

A net blasted out of some sort of Mortor type gun would do the trick.

Seems to me, having a bunch of those around the perimeter - would give security a chance to stop or bring down a drone. The challenge is - how to deploy the net at different heights - as each drone in the swarm could be flying at different height levels - with the brains we have in the US - I have to believe there is a way this could be done - accuracy would not be critical if the net was large enough. Just have to be able to deploy it several hundred feet up

- just a thought....
As I stated in a previous post there is no threat. You could take a 100 drones and strap a bomb on them and they would do no damage to a safety related area. They would just get news coverage.

Reactions: E90RAW
First that is an old story... Last year, 2nd the original source is questionable. Do the research....

First that is an old story... Last year, 2nd the original source is questionable. Do the research....
Hi, I saw the story on the network news (not sure which one) a few days ago. With the credibility of the news as of late, that may not mean it is a recent event. I still have contacts at the plant but have not bothered to follow-up on it because it is a no nevermind. There should be an event notice on the NRC web page. Still does not mean it is a big deal....just one way to verify it is recent.

On a different forum (not drone related), one of the members mentioned how easily he could use his FPS drones to intercept a rogue drone and crash into it.

Given the security risk the drones may pose to vital infrastructure and the relative cheap cost for an FPS drone made specifically for this purpose, he suggested this would be the most cost effective way to address these threats.

I think at the time he suggested this idea, there was an airport being harassed by a drone (or drones) for days in England IIRC.

It's the Chinese practicing and testing our defenses with the data captured from DJI drones over the years. I am sure most of you know that the Chinese have the drone swarming technology down pat!

Now, I may or not be serious. You tell me....?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf